U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

33,912 posts, read 24,435,736 times

Advertisements

Another happy good morning! Just one more day of subbing and I'll be out of your hair.

Meanwhile here is...

Today's Question:
What car or cars do you most remember from childhood? Give us a color, make and model of one, if you remember?

What memories does being in the car as a kid with your parents and/or siblings bring to mind?

Bonus Question:
It may be a little early to talk about Christmas, but did you believe in Santa Claus as a kid?

How did you encounter Santa? At the mall, at school, flying overhead in his sleigh?

Inquiring Minds Question:
What's your favorite sport to watch?

What about to play? If not now, at one time.

Just for fun:
Do you have a favorite sentimental movie? What's the title? We won't tell anyone if it makes you !

Today in History:
1775 - The Continental Congress of the American colonies, in preparation for their revolt against the British (The Revolutionary War), authorized the formation of two battalions of marines. Although this was the true birth of the U.S. Marine Corps, it wasn’t until 1798 that Congress recreated the Marine Corps as a separate military service.
1928 - It was on this day, after Knute Rockne delivered his ‘Win One for the Gipper’ halftime speech to the Irish players, that Notre Dame upset Army, 12-6. Rockne’s speech: “The day before he died, George Gipp asked me to wait until the situation seemed hopeless, then ask a Notre Dame team to go out and beat Army for him. This is the day, and you are the team.”
1939 - The first air-conditioned automobiles went on display at the Auto Show in Chicago.
1956 - Billie Holiday returned to the New York City stage at Carnegie Hall after a three-year absence. The concert was called a high point in jazz history.
1969 - On this day, twenty years after the first release of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", Gene Autry received a gold record for the single.
1969 - “Can you tell me how to get ... how to get to Sesame Street?” The classic, "Sesame Street" debuted on 170 Public Broadcasting stations and 20 commercial outlets. Created by the Children’s Television Workshop, the show starred endearing characters including Gordon, Susan, Bob, Bert, Ernie, the Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch and, of course, Big Bird!
1975 - The worst Great Lakes shipwreck of the time, the sinking of the "Edmund Fitzgerald", occurred this day. It was a cold and stormy Lake Superior (Native Americans knew it as Gitche Gumee) that took the lives of 29 crew members of the ore carrier.
1994 - The "Codex Leicester", the only Leonardo da Vinci manuscript owned in the United States and the only one in the world still in private hands, was sold at auction. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates paid $30.8 million for it. It has been since been exhibited in Venice, Milan, Rome, Paris and New York.

Today's Quote:
Something to remember when you write your best-selling memoir.
"Discretion is not the better part of biography."
-----Lytton Strachey, British writer, 1880 -1932

Today’s Word:
pansophy \PAN-suh-fee\ , noun;
1. Universal wisdom or knowledge.

Today Is:
Area Codes Birthday
Marine Corps Birthday
Motorcycle Birthday
Forget-Me-Not Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 04:21 AM

8,051 posts, read 2,878,814 times
Morning bjh - what a colourful QOTD today!

Today's Question:

What car or cars do you most remember from childhood? Give us a color, make and model of one, if you remember?
My Dad was very keen on cars, so we changed them quite often. I remember an Austin A30, a Wolseley of some kind and - most of all - a Jaguar 3.8 litre, red in colour. I hated that car because the leather interior and the strange pitch of the back seat made me car-sick.

What memories does being in the car as a kid with your parents and/or siblings bring to mind?
I liked to look out of the window and day dream, which suited my parents since they didn't encourage us two kids to chatter. Be seen but not heard! On long trips I remember we would make up phrases from the letters of car number plates we passed on the road. For eg if the licence plate was AMN, we'd say it was Always Making Noises.

Bonus Question:
It may be a little early to talk about Christmas, but did you believe in Santa Claus as a kid? Of course!

How did you encounter Santa? At the mall, at school, flying overhead in his sleigh?
At the main department store in our closest town. He sat in his decorated grotto, and handed out a gift to each kid. In those days there weren't Santas in the street or in every store, so Santa in the department store was THE Santa!

What's your favorite sport to watch? Formula 1 motor racing. And tennis.

What about to play? If not now, at one time. Tennis. In the past, not now!

Just for fun:
Do you have a favorite sentimental movie? What's the title? We won't tell anyone if it makes you !
I'd have to say "Ghost" would be my favourite of the soppy, sentimental movies.

Happy Thursday to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 11-10-2011 at 04:36 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 AM

25,082 posts, read 14,518,725 times
Happy Thursday

I think it's too early for me to remember any cars from my childhood per se. My mom had a green car she liked very well I remember that.

I am not sure if I ever believed in Santa though he was a whispered rumor.

I try not to watch sports o TV, but if I have to final playoff games would be what might compel me to watch.

I enjoy movies especially the old ones from the 50s and 60s. I don't think I am sentimental about them, but I might be.

Much love and peace

Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 AM

26,269 posts, read 6,622,197 times
Morning all! I'm just back from my check up at the dentist. I've celebrated with a
strawberry jam bun with white chocolate bits and a coffee. £17 for a check up plus
scale and polish - thats $25 in real money, scandalous! We did'nt have a car when I was
a child. Many people in England, unlike today, did'nt have cars back in the 60s. I sure did
believe in Santa. I woke up in the middle of the night, saw a light downstairs, crept down,
threw open the door. There was my dad putting out the presents. Ruined it for me. I was
only 17. My favourite sport is football. Real football!! I tried to play as a kid, was'nt very good,
so always ended up as the goalkeeper. Favourite sentimental film is The Way We Were. The
end bit still gets me (sob).

Old 11-10-2011, 05:08 AM

777 posts, read 974,216 times
Today's Question, Thursday 10 November 2011
Another happy good morning! Just one more day of subbing and I'll be out of your hair.

Meanwhile here is...

Today's Question:
I have 2 and they were both VW's. The first was a baby blue Beatle bought in England and my parents had it shipped over when we came back to the states. The second was a Red VW Micro-bus with the corner windows with the bars.

I remember traveling in the Beatle and my sister was still a baby...so my mom rigged a crib of sorts in the cubby in the back..it was her crib, her play-pen, her table for eating..My dad called it "the babyhole" cause thats where the baby went....I was an adult before I realized that it might have another name..what it is I don't know but I'm sure it does. I have lots of memories of the bus too but this is my favorite.

Bonus Question:
It may be a little early to talk about Christmas, but did you believe in Santa Claus as a kid?
I was never sure....

Believe it or not but at Church!!! After the Christmas pagent there was a big party in the fellowship hall with singing and drawings and music and refreshments... Santa would come and hand out gifts to all the kids.

I don't watch sports but I love to nap to golf..

I still can play a mean game of Volleyball. I play badminton too.

Just for fun:
One Fine Day

Today in History:
1775 - The Continental Congress of the American colonies, in preparation for their revolt against the British (The Revolutionary War), authorized the formation of two battalions of marines. Although this was the true birth of the U.S. Marine Corps, it wasn’t until 1798 that Congress recreated the Marine Corps as a separate military service.
1928 - It was on this day, after Knute Rockne delivered his ‘Win One for the Gipper’ halftime speech to the Irish players, that Notre Dame upset Army, 12-6. Rockne’s speech: “The day before he died, George Gipp asked me to wait until the situation seemed hopeless, then ask a Notre Dame team to go out and beat Army for him. This is the day, and you are the team.”
1939 - The first air-conditioned automobiles went on display at the Auto Show in Chicago.
1956 - Billie Holiday returned to the New York City stage at Carnegie Hall after a three-year absence. The concert was called a high point in jazz history.
1969 - On this day, twenty years after the first release of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", Gene Autry received a gold record for the single.
1969 - “Can you tell me how to get ... how to get to Sesame Street?” The classic, "Sesame Street" debuted on 170 Public Broadcasting stations and 20 commercial outlets. Created by the Children’s Television Workshop, the show starred endearing characters including Gordon, Susan, Bob, Bert, Ernie, the Cookie Monster, Oscar the Grouch and, of course, Big Bird!
1975 - The worst Great Lakes shipwreck of the time, the sinking of the "Edmund Fitzgerald", occurred this day. It was a cold and stormy Lake Superior (Native Americans knew it as Gitche Gumee) that took the lives of 29 crew members of the ore carrier.
1994 - The "Codex Leicester", the only Leonardo da Vinci manuscript owned in the United States and the only one in the world still in private hands, was sold at auction. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates paid $30.8 million for it. It has been since been exhibited in Venice, Milan, Rome, Paris and New York.

Today's Quote:
Something to remember when you write your best-selling memoir.
"Discretion is not the better part of biography."
-----Lytton Strachey, British writer, 1880 -1932

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Area Codes Birthday
Marine Corps Birthday
Motorcycle Birthday
Forget-Me-Not Day

I Hope Ya'll have a Great Day!!! Thanks again bjh...This was a good one!!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,267,436 times

Meanwhile here is...

Today's Question:
That would be a really long list.

I remember we had a station wagon and the back window went down and a seat in the back.

Bonus Question:
Y

I thought he was everyplace as a child.

The older I get the less I like to watch professional sports.

Catch
with a football, baseball, tennis ball.

Just for fun:
Do you have a favorite sentimental movie? What's the title? We won't tell anyone if it makes you ! \
driving ms. daisey
the notebook

Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,465 posts, read 6,321,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Meanwhile here is...I read something about a sub somewhere

Today's Question:
What car or cars do you most remember from childhood? Give us a color, make and model of one, if you remember? Red early model 60's Chevy Impala

What memories does being in the car as a kid with your parents and/or siblings bring to mind? Happy thoughts

Bonus Question:
It may be a little early to talk about Christmas, but did you believe in Santa Claus as a kid? Oh yeah for years and years

How did you encounter Santa? At the mall, at school, flying overhead in his sleigh? At the store / mall or somewhere

What's your favorite sport to watch? Football or fights

Both, see above

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Forget-Me-Not Day

Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 AM

25,694 posts, read 24,621,847 times
I remember every car my dad has ever bought were Dodges. Sports, Im a Yankees fan but recently became a Packers fan too.
My favourite 'sentimental' movie probably would be Titanic, Ive watched it so many times I could probably recite the entire script!!
Happy Thursday everyone.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 13,428,066 times
Today's Question:
~ All of the cars. I don't remember any car more than all the others.

~ The car was moving and taking us to places.

Bonus Question:
~ I suppose so.

~ None.

~ None.

Just for fun:
Do you have a favorite sentimental movie? What's the title? We won't tell anyone if it makes you
~ No.

Tomorrow is 11/11/11. Time to cook and eat!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,798,850 times
Today's Question:
My parents didn't have anything too exciting for cars. They went for functional since they didn't have much money, so I can't remember any specific make or model except for the white van my dad had for his business. No idea what make it was. Just white, two seats in front, big space in the back for his stuff.

We'd go for drives on weekends in my dad's van. He'd take his business stuff out and us kids would sit in the back, on patio chairs. No seatbelts, let alone proper seats! If we misbehaved, he'd swerve or brake suddenly. It's amazing we lived through our childhood.

Bonus Question:
Yes! Fervently.
At the mall.

What's your favorite sport to watch? I like baseball the best. I love the commentators for baseball. They have such great voices.

Tennis, which I love to watch on tv too, except for the women who shriek and groan excessively.

Just for fun:
Forrest Gump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics