U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:01 PM

40,837 posts, read 15,653,386 times

Advertisements

Happy Friday kids! Today's Tip is paraphrased from an article I
found recently in my local newspaper. Scroll on down and check it out!

KEEP ON THE FITNESS TRACK AWAY FROM HOME
(These tips are great for use at home, too!)

When you travel, there are ways you can stick with your healthful lifestyle. If you're in a hotel with a gym, take advantage of the facilities. Otherwise, here are some tips on how to stay fit when you're away from home.
  • Walk, walk, walk! If you're on a business trip and the meetings are within walking distance, wear your tennies and walk to the meeting place. Wherever you come across stairs, if you are able, take them instead of the elevator.
  • Instead of sitting still, fidget! Shift positions often. If possible, stand at the back of the room. Standing burns calories.
  • Never stay in your seat during breaks. Take a quick walk, climb some stairs and/or find a place to stretch.
Easy Stretches
  • Shoulder rolls - Slowly shrug shoulders up and around, both forward and backward. Then tilt head forward, chin to chest, until you feel the stretch in the back of your neck. Hold 20 seconds.
  • Seated forward bends - Sitting on the edge of a sturdy, non-rolling chair with legs extended and feet flexed, reach both arms forward toward knees and reach farther down legs if possible until you feel the stretch. Hold 20 to 30 seconds.
  • Standing quad stretches - Holding onto a wall or the back of a chair, bend left leg as if trying to touch heel to buttock, grabbing the foot with left hand. Hold 20 seconds, then switch legs.

A Few Exercises
  • Push-ups - Not only do they get the heart rate up, they are the single best upper-body workout. Do them on your toes, on your knees or start by pushing against a wall until you're strong enough to hit the floor.
  • Crunches - Lie on the floor or even the bed with knees bent. Support head in hands (but don't pull or you'll strain your neck), raising upper torso off floor. Keep lower back in contact with floor.
  • Bench squat - Strengthens thigh muscles. Stand facing away from chair with feet hip-width apart. Lower yourself to a seated position (without using arms), barely touching chair, then stand up again. Repeat 20 times.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM

114,302 posts, read 55,442,476 times
I walk quite a bit and chase the gkid! But, my back and knees and every other joint are too old for much more stress. Great tips and some easy to do exercises that aren't too strenuous! Thanks Pam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM

15,927 posts, read 7,282,192 times
YAy!!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 PM

67,368 posts, read 16,575,749 times
Yes!!!! Walk walk walk!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:08 AM

18,180 posts, read 22,071,601 times
I'm extremely visually oriented, and I don't learn anything new unless it's been visually demonstrated in front of me, 3 times over, with my glasses on, along with a few 100 watt bulbs.

The last time I tried one of these exercise tips, without a visual demonstration, inexplicably, I got my big toe stuck in my belly button, and I had to call 911! How embarrassing!!!

Now there are a couple of these I might risk doing without a visual demonstration. In fact, I just peaked out the front door and saw someone walking on the sidewalk. Now that looks that's pretty safe to do as long as I wear my glasses!

Old 11-11-2011, 01:23 AM

8,831 posts, read 10,174,145 times
Walk, walk, walk is about all I can do, do, do without falling down, down, down. These are some great tips for those who exercise regularly......I fidget, does that count?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 AM

32,630 posts, read 18,079,977 times
EVERYBODY!!! Now....

Squat!

and

up...

I said UP!!!!

<waits patiently>

Okay, UNSQUAT you slouches!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 AM

114,302 posts, read 55,442,476 times
Yeah Red, squats and push ups are out of the question..

Old 11-11-2011, 05:13 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,465 posts, read 6,320,681 times
Great tips Pam...taking care of yourself what better way to preserve what you have

Old 11-11-2011, 06:17 AM

43,857 posts, read 45,270,992 times
To those of you not walking, squatting or stretching....this is for you:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/5095c9e5.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or