Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,865,736 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? I don't remember having show and tell when young. It's now called "sharing time" at our elementary school. As a teacher I remember having to interrupt some of the sharing. Little ones will tell you more than you want or should know. It was sometimes hard to look a parent in the eye after their child had shared....

If CD had a show and tell gathering:

What would you "show"? I would bring my granddaughters. They are both adorable and very entertaining.Extra Credit Question(s):

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? We didn't growing up, but have for several years now had weekly game nights. We play all sorts of games, mostly ones that start conversations and we never follow the rules. One of my sisters made a game she titled "Reminisce." The box is covered with pictures of family members. You shake a die and move around the board having to respond to prompts such as, "Tell a story about a vehicle we had." So, I might tell about the jeep we had & how my friend decided to teach me how to drive standard. My favorite prompt is titled "Fess up." I've learned a few things about my sibs with that one.

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? We used to play Trivial Pursuit, but only with friends and family.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? When I was a teen I was supposed to be interviewed at a TV station in Burlington about a 4-H project called "Know Your Town." We had spent months visiting businesses around town, interviewing people. We kept a binder with pictures and narratives about our visits. So, anyway... my sibs went to Burlington. I did not because just before the interview I fell from my horse & broke my wrist.
Completely Unrelated Question(s):

There's apparently a nationwide uproar over leaf blowers (see video below).
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7387318n

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? I can see both sides. I will say that I'm glad to live in the country where there are no rules as there are in some communities. My younger daughter went to school in a town where people had rules about what they could do with their property. I think they spent more on their lawns than.... well. I'm just glad to live where I do.

Enjoy your day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:31 AM

11,019 posts, read 17,407,944 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? I think so

If you participated, what did you present? Geez! I started 1st grade in '62. Don't really remember if I took anything or not. lol

What would you "show"? I haven't the foggiest idea.

What would you tell us about it?

Extra Credit Question(s):

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? My wife and I do 2 or 3 times a week.

What games did you play? We turn on the Wii, get in 18 holes of golf, maybe some table tennis, then bowl 3 or 4 games, both the 10 pin and 100 pin games and end up with a few rounds of tennis.

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? Nope

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? Yup

For what? I was a "Storm Team Spotter" for a local TV station where I used to live. I'd call or email in my weather and sometimes they would call us and talk to us on the air during the weather report. Plus, working in the office at the state highway department, I would get calls and talk on the air about road conditions every now and then.

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? I saw the same story on HLN about a month or so ago. I think these people are crazy! These workers they are whining about are trying to make a living, cleaning parking lots, getting rid of leaves, etc. If the City Idiots ban the blowers, what's next? These clowns going to have rakes banned for all the noise they make pushing the leaves into piles to get rid of them? Somebody posted that pretty soon burning leaves would be banned. Sorry to say it already has! Which is VERY stupid!

I'll hush now.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,610,605 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school?
Sure

If you participated, what did you present?
Don't remember anything specific.

What would you "show"?
Bird photos? My drawings? Sacred objects? Mementos? Geeky things around the house?

Standard stuff: a history of how I obtained it would definitely be involved, and why it is important to me.

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night?
No

What games did you play?

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind?
I love trivia, but I don't do well at all under stress. I have a history of embarrassing myself with really stupid answers at crucial moments (think elementary school spelling bee).

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)?
Many times, for both newspaper and online show.

For what?
I'm one of the local "go-to" people for my non-mainstream religion, because I can afford any backlash (never had any actually [not obviously anyway]).

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers?
A nationwide uproar? Seriously? Never used one, can't judge.

Today is:

International Day for Tolerance
National Educational Support Professionals Day
Prematurity Awareness Day

Have a good Wednesday everyone!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:41 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,778,157 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? - Ehh.. I don't have any class...

What would you "show"? - Hmmm.. nah, I can't do that, I might get arrested... Seriously, I'm not much of a Show and Teller, but I'll probably show the ammunition reloading equipment.

What would you tell us about it? - How to load/reload very accurate ammunition and save a lot of money, it's one of my hobbies.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? - Not really... but I was on Cops one time... Does that count? - Just kidding, I was never on Cops, and I've never been interviewed for a news item.

Battling loud leaf blowers - CBS News Video

I think the whole thing is Blown out of proportion.. Leaf Blowers are essential tools, and for those who have an issue with them, let them go out there and pick up the leaves themselves. Here's one solution, there are ear plugs that can be used to significantly reduce the noise.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,778,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

I cordially despise them. What is so darn hard about using a rake, anyway???
MBW, rakes are okay if the area to be raked is small, but if you have a large area with leaves scattered all over the place, using a rake is cumbersome and the task can take many hours or days.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 AM

37,746 posts, read 40,817,184 times
Today's Question(s):

Not that I recall.

What would you "show"?

Ummmm, maybe a slideshow of some of my photos.

Maybe where they were taken or if they were my bird photos, what birds they are.

No

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind?

No but I love trivia contests/games, just never played in a tournament.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)?

I've been on the other side of the microphone, interviewing other people (non-employment related).

For what?

newsletters, radio news broadcast, newspapers

I don't own a house nor do I live near other houses so I have no dog in that hunt. No opinion.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,974,459 times
Today's Question(s):

Yes. I can't recall bringing anything that interesting, however. Can you get an F at show and tell?

What would you "show"?

I'm not sure what I'd show, but I sure hope Mike brings his doghouse to show and tell.

No, but I wish we did. I love board games but the other find them boring.

Bonus Question:

Several years ago I wrote book and was interviewed several times by local news and local papers (it was about our community).

I'm not a fan of blowers. It isn't the noise that bothers me so much as I think raking leaves is something to be encouraged. It gets people to exercise more, and also tend to make neighbors socialize more.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,595,943 times
[quote=spinx;21731579]Happy Wednesday. Already looking forward to the weekend...

Today's Question(s):

If you participated, what did you present? Yes. I can't recall.

What would you "show"?

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? No.

What games did you play?

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? No.

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? No.

For what?

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? They are better tolerated late in the day.

I have a feeling "Prematurity Awareness Day" has nothing to do with male ejaculation.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:45 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,814,793 times
Happy Wednesday. Already looking forward to the weekend...You and me both spinx Thanks for the QOTD
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? Yes

If you participated, what did you present? Different stuff

What would you "show"? Some sort of historical artifacts

What would you tell us about it? Metis People

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? No

What games did you play?

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? Trivial Pursuit

Did you win anything? We won a night out at a restaurant and bar.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? Yes

For what? Stuff

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? I'll check the link out later. Just don't blow leaves on my yard

Today is:

International Day for Tolerance
National Educational Support Professionals Day
Prematurity Awareness Day

It is a snowy day here. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:42 AM

604 posts, read 455,635 times
Good morning!

Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? yes

If you participated, what did you present? the only thing I remember was a book I really, really liked.

What would you "show"? my kitty

What would you tell us about it? "She has one blue eye and one green eye."

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? we play cards almost every weekend

What games did you play? ten-penny is a favorite

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? no

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? no

For what?

There's apparently a nationwide uproar over leaf blowers

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? they don't bother me

Have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics