Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times

Advertisements

Happy Wednesday. Already looking forward to the weekend...

Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school?

If you participated, what did you present?

If CD had a show and tell gathering:

What would you "show"?

What would you tell us about it?

Extra Credit Question(s):

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night?

What games did you play?

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind?

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)?

For what?
Completely Unrelated Question(s):

There's apparently a nationwide uproar over leaf blowers (see video below).
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7387318n

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers?

Today is:

International Day for Tolerance
National Educational Support Professionals Day
Prematurity Awareness Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,101 times
Happy Wednesday. Already looking forward to the weekend...

Today's Question(s):

Yes

Stuff my Dad sent from Thailand..a hat and a coconut purse.

What would you "show"?
My books from the 1800s

That they weren't really valuable as far as money goes but does have practical advice. The medical books even have a section where you can write perscriptions from your doctor to take to the pharmacist so he can mix it for you. And a recipe for Ginger Beer. I also have a subscription dictionary used in libraries.

No

Yes

Did you win anything?
No

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)?
Yes

For what?
I was featured in a segament called "Pay it Forward" on a local channel. I was the one paying it forward.

I can't watch video sorry puter too slow.

So long as it's not me and it's after 9am well ...but I do think they are heavy, loud, and I'm sure the vibration causes some kind of damage.

Today is:

Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? Yes. I loved it!

If you participated, what did you present? Hahaha - Fun memory. I remember presenting a clinker from the coal incinerator which heated my family's home. We were the last family in the neighborhood to install a natural gas, forced-air furnace. We had a big old coal incinerator, and I remember watching my dad and my older brother shovel coal into it. After the coal burned down, it left what we called "clinkers" at the bottom of the incinerator. I think they were just consolidated impurities left over after the coal was consumed by the heat. They looked like this:
Boring, you say? Not for a 2nd-grader at Riley Elementary! I thought it was the coolest thing, and so did my classmates.

What would you "show"? The musical score of my favorite aria.
What would you tell us about it? That when I sing that aria (O Mio Babbino Caro) I am close to heaven.

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? Not a specific game night, but we played lots of games at various times.

What games did you play? Monopoly, Scrabble, Life, Mouse Trap, Canasta, Spill and Spell, Flinch, Clue and many more!

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? Yes. When I was in college, the university's radio station sponsored an annual trivia contest. I was on a team each year. Teams had to call in their answers. We never came close to winning, but we sure had a blast!

Bonus Question:
Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? Yes, a few times.

For what? When I was in 6th grade I represented my school at "Frank Borman Day." Astronaut Frank Borman was from my home town - Gary, Indiana. Sometime during the 1965-66 school year (I don't recall exactly when), Gary had a huge parade and reception for Mr. Borman and those of us who were chosen to represent our schools had the privilege of meeting him and sitting to talk with him. It was so cool! After the event, two radio newspeople interviewed me live about my impressions of Mr. Borman and the day's events.

The other times I've been interviewed was by newspaper people and it had to do with some charity events I was involved in.

Battling loud leaf blowers - CBS News Video
What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? Hahaha - As I mentioned in yesterday's QOTD, I really hate leaf blowers. They make a terrible amount of noise, the gas-powered ones stink up the air, and they don't work any faster than raking does.

Today is:
International Day for Tolerance I guess I should tolerate leaf blowers, huh?
National Educational Support Professionals Day Anything to promote education is good!
Prematurity Awareness Day God bless the preemies.

Happy hump day, kiddies!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-15-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? No, it hadn't been invented when I went to school in the Dark Ages.

What would you "show"? Taking into account practicalities and the limitations of the internet, I would probably show you the letters written by my great-great-grandfather to his mother in England, while he was in America between 1869 and 1871 working on the railroads.

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? We used to when the children were younger. As adults, we have been known to play the occasional game or two on a rainy afternoon or a cold evening.

What games did you play? Mainly scrabble. Sometimes card games.

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? Yes - sometimes socially at the pub, but in the past at my daughter's school - they were often fund-raising events.

Did you win anything? Not that I recall.

Bonus Question:

For what? Yes - many years ago, when I was one of the organisers of a trade fair for the US Embassy in Sydney.

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? I absolutely HATE them - worst invention EVER!! Apart from the noise and the fumes, they just blow the leaves around, until the next windy day just blows them around some more. But the noise is the worst.

Thanx Spinx.

Happy Hump Day to all.

Last edited by Kobber; 11-15-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 PM

11,252 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Today's Question(s):

We had several. I can't remember most of what was "shown" though!

I liked showing off my baseball uniforms. I was a proud team player!

What would you "show"?

Probably my collection of old Nintendo games (NES). I have over a hundred, and they remind me of the funnest time from my childhood. I play them all regularly up to today.

They don't make 'em today like they used too!

My parents didn't play games. They were WAY too serious. But, the wife and I have many game nights with the neighbors and friends.

What games did you play?

We play all sorts of card game. We love poker, Uno, Phase 10, and Split, amongst several others.

No, but Jeopardy is one of my favorite shows! Does that count?

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

No

For what?

I have no problem with them. Something tells me that the majority of the people who gripe about them would never be the ones to go out and spend 3 hours of backbreaking labor raking them up manually.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:48 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? Probably but don't recall...

If you participated, what did you present? I dunno ...

What would you "show"? I'm drawing a serious blank here

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? No ... Unfortunately, they are not game folks ... I try to get some Catch Phrase games rolling but they rather sit around and watch the boob tube

What games did you play? Catch Phrase when I get them into it.

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? No

Did you win anything? Nah uh!

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? Nope

For what? N/A

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? I hate those leaf blowing machines ... All it does is just blow the leaves around and emits stinky air pollution I used to work for a city and our call center handled the leaf blower complaints ... You never believe just how CRAZY folks get over these things!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:57 PM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? in kindergarten

If you participated, what did you present? probably a toy

What would you "show"? ????

What would you tell us about it? ????

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? We were a card playing family when I was a kid. Blitz, Euchre, Rummy.

What games did you play? Monopoly, Parchesi, Life, scrabble

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? NO

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? No. But I played the role of a 'patient' in an ad for the hospital I work for.

For what?

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? Gotta get rid of those leafs somehow.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Oh, wonderful - I can answer the questions before I go to bed! Thanks, Spinx!

Today's Question(s):

I only remember that happening in kindergarten, never in any of the later grades.

I was too shy to stand up in front of the class and talk.

What would you "show"?

Oh, gosh, I don't know. Maybe some of my pottery.

I'd probably explain how to throw a bowl on a pottery wheel. And I'm sure everyone would be bored to active nausea.

Oh, yes, we do that pretty much every time we all get together for holiday gatherings or other events. We generally laugh ourselves silly by the end of the evening, too.

What games did you play?

The favorites are Trivial Pursuit, Balderdash, Loaded Questions, Bananagrams, and Scrabble.

Only the ones around our kitchen table.

Did you win anything?

The only person who ever wins Trivial Pursuit at our house is my spouse. He combines an extremely high level of intelligence with an absolutely limitless curiosity about everything, and as a result, he is known as the family walking encyclopedia. We sometimes play teams against him - two or three people on each team, him playing by himself - and he still beats us all like a drum.

Bonus Question:

Yes, I was interviewed for a TV news segment in the early aughts.

For what?

Well, about eight years ago in the depth of a January cold snap, with daytime highs hovering around zero and overnight temps plummeting into the teens and twenties below zero, an aging water main a few hundred feet from our home ruptured in the wee hours of one morning. The ground was frozen solid, of course, so when the high-pressure water shot out of the broken pipe, it went sideways rather than up. And unfortunately the sewer main for our street was just a few feet away from the water main.

The water flooded the sewer main in a matter of moments, and then the contents of the sewer started going the only place it could go: up the laterals and into people's basements. We awoke that morning to find about a foot and a half of raw sewage in our basement, and so did about two dozen other homeowners in the neighborhood.

Depending on how finished each home's basement was, the cleanup/repair/replacement costs ranged from a few hundred dollars to over $20K. Everyone's homeowner's insurance deemed that the event was not covered, because the cause of the problem happened on city property. And the city's insurance company decided that the city was not at fault, so they did not recognize any liability for the event, either.

As a result, our neighborhood association banded together and fought city hall to try to get some kind of compensation for people who were impacted. It took close to a year, and the actual payout was capped at only about $2,500.00, much less than the losses that many of us incurred, but we did finally get compensation for the damages. And I was interviewed about it by one of the local TV channels.

Now, aren't you sorry you asked???

I cordially despise them. What is so darn hard about using a rake, anyway???

Old 11-15-2011, 10:54 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today's Question(s):

I sorta remember something in first or third grade. I do remember it during the short time I went to fifth grade in Oklahoma City,

You do know it was more than 40 years ago. My memory is a little fuzzy regarding this matter.

What would you "show"?
Maybe I could talk my security moose into showing up.

How much he misbehaves

We never had a set game night. However we did play games from time to time.

What games did you play?
Usually cards. Sometimes we would play a board game.

Never have. For whatever unknown reason trivia contests never seem to include questions relating to my area of expertise.

Did you win anything?
Now that I think about it I did actually win something on sort of a trivia contest. Was on the train from Chicago to Portland and us so called first class passengers got to participate in a wine and cheese tasting. They had a couple trivia questions. I was the winner of a good bottle of wine. I gave it away since I am not really a wine drinker.

Bonus Question:

I have

For what?
Can't say. I was the "un-named" source

When leaf blowers are outlawed, only outllaws will have leaf blowers. Let's see now...If we outlaw leaf blowers maybe we better outlaw gas powered mowers. We better also outlaw burning leaves so that people don't have to put up with the smoke. While we are at it can we outlaw riding bikes on the roads during the wintertime. Oh hell...now I want to drag out my soapbox and start ranting about everything I think needs changing.

Today is:

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 11-15-2011 at 11:41 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Today's Question(s):

Did your class have show and tell in school when you were in school? Oh Yes.

If you participated, what did you present? I did. I stopped one morning on the way to school and took a baby mocking bird out of a nest and to it to school. Needless to say teach was not a happy camper that day.

What would you "show"? Photos

What would you tell us about it? Places, techniques, equipment, etc.

Does/Did your family ever have a family game night? Games but no set aside night.

What games did you play? Sorry, Uno, Packman, Football video game.

Have you ever participated in a trivia tournament of any kind? No

Did you win anything?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been interviewed for a news article or TV (anything but employment)? Yes

For what? My battle with cancer.

What are your feelings towards leaf blowers? Don't have one. they are good tools when used right.

Today is:

International Day for Tolerance I have zero tolerance for a lot of things and refuse to change. Evil should never be tolerated in any form.

Last edited by Nomadicus; 11-15-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics