Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the BIGGEST reason men purchase pick-up trucks?
For Work/Jobs 5 13.16%
To haul things 18 47.37%
To make themselves feel more "manly" 9 23.68%
Other 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick roma View Post
that's just not possible. I wonder if this is the op:

you got to see this, getting yelled at for the diesel truck i drive - youtube
lmao!!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...i'm not going there. But i prefer roadsters and sports sedans.

Right-that's what I thought.... IOW a '73 Pinto with bondo on the quarters.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:45 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Everything they don't like is their business....

Nanny statists are like that.
I'm probably one of the most conservative individuals, but I posed an honest question because I believe that it has merit.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is it with many men and the desire to own a truck?

As a man, I've never thought that a truck was visually appealing. To me, they look very unappealing and somewhat monstrous, a disaster on the road. Yet, for some reason or another, fellow men, in high percentages, seem to enjoy them, for whatever reason. This includes men who do not need them for work. In fact, most of the guys I see who drive a pick-up never use it particular to their job. They simply drive a truck just because it's a truck.

Now, why is this? It certainly isn't gas mileage, as trucks are gas guzzlers. Is it because they want to haul things? Perhaps, but it is rare that one would need to haul a lot of items. In fact, most small items can be hauled in a car. Thus, if it's not cost efficiency and hauling items, what is it?

In my opinion, a lot of guys drive a truck simply because they think a truck is "manly". It's similar to the way a lot of guys deer hunt, because they view it as a "manly" thing to do. It's not necessarily that they enjoy it for what it does, it's that they enjoy it because it makes them feel more manly. My hypothesis is that a lot of men purchase a truck because they have low self esteem in their masculinity, and they need some object, even a vehicle, that says "I'm a man".

What do you think? Do you agree with my assessment? Yes or no. Please tell me.

By the way, vote in the poll.
It's not just men. I'm female, and not at all masculine, but I miss owning a truck! I'm always needing a truck for something. I don't need a big truck; just a small one to haul stuff. I use to have horses and needed my truck to haul hay bales, get feed and all that kind of stuff. Now I need to get one to haul garden/lawn stuff.

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...i'm not going there. But i prefer roadsters and sports sedans.
Sedan?

Real performance cars have 2 doors.

And a top.

185 posts, read 511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
I know - and it is really sickening. Wonder if all the libs could be packed off to a deserted island???
That would be really nice...the attitudes that come out of some libs are just unbelievable

Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Because putting 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back of a Mini is impossible.

So is putting the goats.

And then it would be difficult if not impossible to haul the trailer with a Smart Car.
Have you seen the picture of the smart car that got caught between two heavy trucks with the smacker going all of 10 mph? Surely the Smart car became an accordion. I will stick with larger cars to have some hope of having something left.

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
If you don't like a pickup truck, how about don't buy one. I never saw the sense in berets, arm warmers, or high heel pumps. But it never occurred to me to try to psychoanalyze those who do.

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I sure liked the old days when just us const. folk and ranchers needed pickups. they were usually striped down no fancy upholstery sometimes not even a radio. now you cant buy a plain Jane for less than my mortgage. screw it my 84 f150 is on it's third motor at 750,000 miles. the 300 in line, best motor ever built except jeeps 4 ltr maybe. the ones that really need pickups are the ones who drive the old ones cause we cant afford the new cadillacs they are selling. times change
To me, that's the most laughable thing. These manufacturers are spec'ing out pickups to the point that they're costing 40 and 50 grand. When i see 'em, i can't stop laughing. A 50k pickup truck?

A few of my neighbors dropped a bushel of money on a new pickup, but most people around here have really old pickup trucks. When they go bad, they just rebuild them and keep driving. Cheaper than these new ones.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Sedan?

Real performance cars have 2 doors.

And a top.

The term "sports sedan" is an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics