Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,616,886 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

What "female firsts" have you or yours or someone you know witnessed or participated in? ..and not just of the clothing variety...anything at all, big or small?
There was a woman in our family who was a pioneer (not Pioneer) in ways that shall go unmentioned. Today it's SOP.

Bonus Question:
One of the most fun gifts kids get this time of year is their very own bicycle. Guessing that most of us know how:
How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle?
Maybe kindergarten age?
What is the most fun you ever had biking? My mom wouldn't let me go out of the neighborhood. But grandma...well! I rode all the way to a friend's house in the next city!

Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? I remember two particularly nasty falls; one like Dark of the Moon's, and stitches were involved. In the other, I hit the very tip of the end of a stick which flipped up and caught between the spokes, stopping the bicycle abruptly when the stick hit the fork. I just remember picking myself up and walking my busted bike home. No stitches.
If you had one, what did your bike look like?
The one I had the longest was a green Schwinn 10 speed.

Inquiring Minds Question:
I carry my everyday keys, house car, etc. in my left front trouser pocket.
Where do you carry your keys?
I have a "jailer's ring" which I keep in my back right pocket. Or my coat pocket. Or my purse. Where are those keys?!?!?!
Anything on your key ring other than keys? If so, what?
Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers, would sooooo scold me! Two different sets of keys (6 total), the remote unlocking device, a mini flashlight, store fobs, and a Canadian flag.

Just for fun:
Today is Tick Tock Day because time is running out for 2011.
Is there anything you want to or wish you could accomplish within the next few days?
Sure. Are they gonna happen? Not enough time left in the year!

Today in History:
1778 British troops occupied Savannah, Georgia during the American Revolution
1813 British troops burned city of Buffalo, New York as a part of the War of 1812
1837 Canadian militia destroyed Caroline, a U.S. steamboat docked at Buffalo during Canada's Patriot War of 1837
1845 Texas became the 28th state of the US
1852 Emma Snodgrass arrested in Boston for wearing trousers
1885 In Germany, Gottlieb Daimler patented the first motorcycle
1937 Ireland adopted its constitution, thus the Irish Free State officially became known as Eire.
1989 Canadian Wayne Gretzky and Czech Martina Navratilova, named athletes of the decade (1980s) by the Associated Press

Today’s Word:
alluvium (ə-loo'vē-əm)
Sand, silt, clay, gravel, or other matter deposited by flowing water, as in a riverbed, floodplain, delta, or alluvial fan.

Today Is:
Pepper Pot Day This vegetarian will pass, although my oldest nephew can't get enough of it.
Tick Tock Day
Opposite Day

Thanx for the photo bjh! Have a good one everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,363,371 times
Default Today's Question

What "female firsts" have you or yours or someone you know witnessed or participated in? ..and not just of the clothing variety...anything at all, big or small?...........I'm lost on this one

Bonus Question:
One of the most fun gifts kids get this time of year is their very own bicycle. Guessing that most of us know how:
How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle? ....I'm thinking 5
What is the most fun you ever had biking? .......All my bike rides were an adventure.
Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? .....Many times
If you had one, what did your bike look like? ...My first one was just a little bike but much later I had a bad stingray

Where do you carry your keys? .........Same here left pocket
Anything on your key ring other than keys? If so, what?........A Greenbay packers emblem

Just for fun:
Is there anything you want to or wish you could accomplish within the next few days?..............Not really

Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,835,326 times
I hope everyone had a happy holiday, had some fun, or enjoyed a good meal while remembering the feelings this season is supposed to inspire. After all, we're "all God's children," black or white, rich or poor, young or old, male or female . . . which leads us to today's first Q. Good Afternoon, bjh. Thank you for the QOTD.
Today's Question:
On this day in 1852 a woman was arrested in Boston, Mass for wearing trousers. What was she thinking?
But seriously, when I was a kid in the 1970s it was the "talk of the town" when a very nice lady wore dressy slacks to church. You could say that type of female first is just as important as being the first woman to vote or fly an airplane solo because the little things are what means "the times, they are a-changing!"
What "female firsts" have you or yours or someone you know witnessed or participated in? ..and not just of the clothing variety...anything at all, big or small?

Well pants for one, for sure. My Mom never thought it was "proper" for young ladies to wear pants...it took her a long time to come around. I still remember buying a very pretty pale lime polyester jumpsuit to my Grandfather's funeral in 1977, and that would not have happened if my beloved Auntie (my Dad's oldest sister) had not intervened and pointed out the practicality of this "fashion item" with platform shoes. Otherwise it would have been a polyester tie back dress of some sort, with said platform shoes.
Bonus Question:
How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle? About 5, I think.What is the most fun you ever had biking? Crossing the #1 highway, going across some dirt roads, and down to the river to canoe.
Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? Absolutely
If you had one, what did your bike look like? Better than me.

Where do you carry your keys?
Anything on your key ring other than keys? If so, what? A very tiny hand embroidered fur moccasin made by an Aboriginal elder for me about ten years ago. I treasure it, and the memories of that wonderful lady.

Just for fun:
Is there anything you want to or wish you could accomplish within the next few days? Yes, I'm moving back to the city, I hope I get that all done and the weather is good.

Today in History:
1778 British troops occupied Savannah, Georgia during the American Revolution
1813 British troops burned city of Buffalo, New York as a part of the War of 1812
1837 Canadian militia destroyed Caroline, a U.S. steamboat docked at Buffalo during Canada's Patriot War of 1837
1845 Texas became the 28th state of the US
1852 Emma Snodgrass arrested in Boston for wearing trousers
1885 In Germany, Gottlieb Daimler patented the first motorcycle
1937 Ireland adopted its constitution, thus the Irish Free State officially became known as Eire.
1989 Canadian Wayne Gretzky and Czech Martina Navratilova, named athletes of the decade (1980s) by the Associated Press Not every Canadian is a fan of big sport hockey. The best hockey and skating is done on rinks made at home by family. No snarling competitive parents either.

Today’s Word:
alluvium (ə-loo'vē-əm)
Sand, silt, clay, gravel, or other matter deposited by flowing water, as in a riverbed, floodplain, delta, or alluvial fan.

Today Is:
Pepper Pot Day
Tick Tock Day
Opposite Day

A Picture for Today:
A barge pushing freight upstream under the I-55 bridge south of downtown Memphis, taken just the other day by yours truly. It is awesome, bjh. Thank you.
This picture's not so hot, but after looking around for a good free one and finding it, but with a bunch of requirements and threats if you didn't follow them. ..... I decided to use one of my own. I hereby grant myself permission to use my own picture. [B]It's very beautiful. Love it.[/B
Here is one of my favourite songs to go with your photo, bjh.

Marc Cohn - Walking In Memphis Official Video - YouTube

Have a wonderful day folks.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,631,430 times
Today's Question:
On this day in 1852 a woman was arrested in Boston, Mass for wearing trousers. What was she thinking?
But seriously, when I was a kid in the 1970s it was the "talk of the town" when a very nice lady wore dressy slacks to church. You could say that type of female first is just as important as being the first woman to vote or fly an airplane solo because the little things are what means "the times, they are a-changing!"
I wish I could take credit for some "female first" but I just followed the trends and am so thankful for all those women who were trailblazers and gave us our right to vote and wear pants, etc.

Bonus Question:
How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle? 6 or 7
What is the most fun you ever had biking? I always had fun biking around my grandparents neighborhood, back when it was safe to do that
Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? Oh yes
If you had one, what did your bike look like? I think it was red, had a basket on the front and streamers

Where do you carry your keys? in my purse
Anything on your key ring other than keys? yes If so, what?
I have pepper spray and 4 cards for grocery stores

Just for fun:
Is there anything you want to or wish you could accomplish within the next few days?
If I manage to take down the Christmas decorations I'll be doing good

Today Is:
Pepper Pot Day...........
Tick Tock Day.............tick tock, tick tock, boom! It's almost 2012!
Opposite Day..............

A Picture for Today:
A barge pushing freight upstream under the I-55 bridge south of downtown Memphis, taken just the other day by yours truly.

This picture's not so hot, but after looking around for a good free one and finding it, but with a bunch of requirements and threats if you didn't follow them. ..... I decided to use one of my own. I hereby grant myself permission to use my own picture.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:46 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,039,220 times
Today's Question:

I can't think of anything.

Bonus Question:
How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle? I was probably about 6 or 7 years old.
What is the most fun you ever had biking?

When I got my first bike we lived out on the edge of a small town in a mountainous region of far West Texas. There was a dirt road nearby that went down into a large pit and out on the other side. It was very fun to ride down into the pit, pick up speed quickly and then go up the hill on the back end of the pit. I rode my bike over to that pit every day.

Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? Oh yeah, many times! Nothing major though, just minor abrasions, bumps and scratches, occasional bruises....lol.
If you had one, what did your bike look like?

My first bike was a regular one speed bike, it was painted blue. Later on when I was about 10 years old I got a 10 speed bike and had a few more 10 speeds after that.

Where do you carry your keys? Right front pocket.
Anything on your key ring other than keys? If so, what? Just keys.

Just for fun:

No, I actually want to do as little as possible for the next few days....lol.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,911,503 times
Sunny and in the mid-60s today in the NV desert.

Today's Question:
What "female firsts" have you or yours or someone you know witnessed or participated in? ..and not just of the clothing variety...anything at all, big or small? My sister was the first in my family to go to college and to work outside the home after marriage.

How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle? 4

What is the most fun you ever had biking? I think I spent most of my childhood on my bike. Probably the most fun was going on bike rides with my friends, or playing bike polo .

Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? Oh yes -- quite a few skinned elbows, hands and knees in my time.

If you had one, what did your bike look like? My first one was a bright blue Raleigh with a bell on the handlebars.

Where do you carry your keys? I have a clasp on the keyring that allows me to clip it to my handbag.

Anything on your key ring other than keys? Yes. If so, what? Miniature CVS, Albertsons and library cards.

Is there anything you want to or wish you could accomplish within the next few days? Not a thing.

Thanks for the photo bjh and happy Thursday everyone!

Old 12-29-2011, 09:00 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,789,413 times
oops I thought I answered already

Today's Question:

What "female firsts" have you or yours or someone you know witnessed or participated in? ..and not just of the clothing variety...anything at all, big or small? I don't recall any firsts

Bonus Question:
How old were you when you learned to ride a bicycle? quite young, maybe 5
Did you ever fall off and hurt yourself? oh yes
If you had one, what did your bike look like? typical red bike

Where do you carry your keys? front of lunch bag
Anything on your key ring other than keys? If so, what? nope

Just for fun:
Is there anything you want to or wish you could accomplish within the next few days? nope... had a great year

Old 12-30-2011, 02:09 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,679,200 times
I just remembered..........no scratch that. I'm old but not that old. Lady Godiva was before my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics