U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM

12,053 posts, read 8,846,976 times

Advertisements

Maybe it’s just the way the World is going, but, I don’t.

Do you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 PM

12,983 posts, read 13,821,239 times
I remember a time when times were good, but at the time, I didn't realize how good they were. Now I do.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM

26,273 posts, read 7,674,573 times
I sure do remember when times were good. It was'nt on the same scale as America had
in the fifties and sixties. But, I remember the 60s as a time when everybody had a job,
and people were very optimistic about the future. Lots of people were trying to better
themselves, buying a home instead of renting, starting to go on holiday abroad instead of
seaside holidays in England. It was just a time when people were full of hope. It's all gone
now. People are fearful now, just trying to hang on to their jobs.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 PM

114,769 posts, read 61,444,410 times
End of the 70's brought an end to the good times!

Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM

8,745 posts, read 8,515,250 times
Times were pretty good in the mid 1980's. I went to high school in the 80's and started college in the late 80's. That was a very prosperous time for the U.S.A. Huge skycrapers were being built in just about every major American city. Even small cities were experiencing economic growth and expansion, including the one I grew up in. Everyone seemed to have a job and job prospects for soon to be college graduates like myself were very good. There was so much money in the U.S. economy back then that it was truly incredible now that I look back on it.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM

26,273 posts, read 7,674,573 times
The 70s were when it started to hit the fan. But I did OK. I worked hard, did overtime,
got my first mortgage when I was 24. Just a small two bedroomed house, bit it had a
garden, we were on our way. We had Scott who was just a baby, but my wife could stay
at home to look after him, we could manage on the one wage. Now, both man and wife
have to work, children farmed out to baby minders. Two wages coming in, and still
struggling to pay their way. I'm glad I'm not starting out now.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,527,073 times
It kinda depends on who you are or were in past times, like today don't you think? There were some good things about the late 50's and the early 60's if you happened to be middle class whites, but it was still a time of struggling and worry for poor whites and minorities. How you saw the world depended on where you were sitting. For the poor kid being drafted to go to Nam, the world might not have seemed so full of hope. The positives of that time that people look back on were that there was more of a family unit and morals . Everything wasn't ok, as it seems to be today. Neighborhoods were usually safe places for kids to play and you didn't have to worry about a pervert around every corner stalking your kid. There was wholesome entertainment on TV. I saw nothing wrong with the gender roles of man being the bread winner and the woman taking care of the home and kids. Later on I would be called a name for that viewpoint. My mom was there when I got home from school, that's how it was for most kids. It was nice to come home to cookies and milk and telling mom about your day. Real square, yeah but many fondly remember those times as they grow older. Children had an innocence about them, that seems to disappear at a much earlier age now due to the media continually pushing their smutty agenda on the masses.

I think things would have been better at home if we had stayed the h.ell out of Nam. Yes, there would have been changes, some very much needed, but much of the social unrest was due to that war. Isn't it a pity we learned nothing from Nam. I think the 70's after the war were better than today in many or most ways too. By the early to mid 80's things were changing, it was a time of doing your own thing, the me-ness was more important than the we-ness. Much more divorce, materialism, kids in daycare, 2 wage earner families because they just had to have more stuff. If you look at statistics of real wages then and now you see no increase for the average person. We have all these gadgets now but we have lost a lot that is gone forever. In some ways I miss not having kids and in some ways thankful I never hand any.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:36 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,946,153 times
The early 80's were good for me.

Newly single, good job with good pay, sports car and the most amazing man in my life.

Those were the days my friend......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics