Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:57 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,221,148 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that some people refuse to accept the defintions listed in the dictionary and offer their own explanations. Case in point I was having a debate with a friend of mine and I told him he didn't understand the meaning of a word. I grabbed the dictionary and showed him the definition. He said that the dictionary isn't the absolute truth and continued to insist that his defintion was the correct one. What do you make of this?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,322,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I've noticed that some people refuse to accept the defintions listed in the dictionary and offer their own explanations. Case in point I was having a debate with a friend of mine and I told him he didn't understand the meaning of a word. I grabbed the dictionary and showed him the definition. He said that the dictionary isn't the absolute truth and continued to insist that his defintion was the correct one. What do you make of this?
Your friend may be smarter than you

What was the word?

EDIT: I'd also like to know which dictionary was used?

EDIT2: I'd also like to recommend this book, which was one of the most interesting books I've ever read.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,839,999 times
Quote:
WHUT?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,236,443 times
Did he say the dictionary's definition was wrong, or did he just say his definition of the word was an additional one the dictionary was missing?

And I'll echo: what was the word?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:04 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,330,145 times
Words like 'racist' have seen an expansion definition. it used to mean a belief in the superiority or inferiority of a particular race. Now the word's meaning encompasses what some might describe as racial insensitivity. Some might say that's bias on the part of the editors, others might say that the dictionaries are merely catching up with current usage.

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
In most cases, Skinny Puppy, I agree with you. Many people think "insinuate" means "to imply" when it really means "to insert", for example.

However, there have been many "discussions" on this forum over the legal meaning of certain words, and someone trying to "prove" their point will throw in a Merrimam-Webster definition. This happens a lot in birther threads. I know there are many words that mean something different than the M-W defintion, in a legal sense of the word. This is also true in health care.

4,255 posts, read 3,483,398 times
Different things sometimes mean different things to other people. Even truer when speaking with someone from a different region.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Maybe he was arguing the relative definition of the word.

Like the word nasty. Good for some, bad for others.

[or something like that...]

Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,221,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Did he say the dictionary's definition was wrong, or did he just say his definition of the word was an additional one the dictionary was missing?

And I'll echo: what was the word?
I don't recall, it was awhile ago. He insisted that the definition was wrong. This was just one example, I've often seen people do it in political conversations.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,245,756 times
Quote:
He just didn't want to own up to the possibility of his own misunderstanding. This is common with folks whose knowledge and use of words are shaped more by the quirks of present-day social convention than by prescriptive guidelines. Religious fanatics tend to be the most egregious offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics