U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,345,959 times

Advertisements

My Dr. told me he thinks highly creative people are rare. Do you believe this is true? I think everyone has creativity in them, but it does seem more often than not, most people by nature are not all that creative.

Highly creative people seem to be a small percentage of our population. Most people prefer more practical and pragmatic things like Sports, or going into very conventional professions.

Discuss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM

859 posts, read 3,138,467 times
I'm very creative and people are always taken by it.

You could tell me to write the first 10 pages of a TV script and give me an hour to do it and I would and it would make sense. People are always saying "Where the heck do you come up with this?" when they see my stories, poetry etc.

I never thought it was anything special, but it turns out a lot of people can't do it.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,333,406 times
Many fail to think outside of the box, if one ventures outside of the ordinary realm of thinking but yet within reason they quickly become an outcast, so many are caught up in what I would call the book says or book people, it is the classic thoughts and ideals they are taught so in return there mind becomes a one way street open only to the traditional and rejecting any new concepts, it cannot be done and that is totally absurd has been said many times in history but yet came to be.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM

13,801 posts, read 23,290,768 times
You can blame public education to a certain extent for extinguishing creativity from an early age. When my son started kindergarten, his 60+ year old teacher explained to the parents on back to school night what was unacceptable: "In my class, the children cannot color things with the wrong color. They cannot color the grass blue or the sky purple." Those were her exact words. I wonder how Van Gogh would have felt about those comments..... This same teacher during a parent-teacher conference gave me a blow-by-blow account of how my son had scandalously lifted his backback over his head - upside-down!! - and with the zipper open!! While standing in line waiting for class to start! Oh the horrors!!! I asked her if she realized my son was five years old. I would have thought, since she taught the class, she would have an idea of what five-year-olds do. And if that means coloring outside the lines, then by golly so be it!

Thanksfully I have been around to counterbalance the attempts educators have made in squashing the creativity out of my son, and he spends hours coming up with new inventions and ideas. The job of educators should be inspiring kids to think, question, analyze, and create. Instead, schools are a training grounds for kids to learn complacency, conformity, and obedience without question or thought. Which will make them perfect cogs and wheels in the machinery of corporate America.

Last edited by DontH8Me; 09-06-2007 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM

378 posts, read 1,134,694 times
I've always known that I was creative.... One time, during a low point in our finances, my partner and I took jobs with a house cleaning company. I used to not only clean but I'd re-arrange the furniture. Never got a complaint!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,124,791 times
I am also creative, and a poet. People who read my stuff are always asking "How do you do that", "I could never write like that". Truth is, it just comes to me. If I am inspired I can whip out an awesome poem in half an hour.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:05 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,037,625 times
Alot of creativity is ignored or squashed by society. Your way isnt the norm so its not accepted or frowned upon.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,982,571 times
Yes, i'm highly creative in the way i improvise on things. For example, i didn't have a wine cork popper so i took a dry wall screw to the cork so i could pry it with a pair of side-cutters. PoPPPPP! Bingo! Wine bottle opened!

How is that for being creative????

Old 09-06-2007, 02:18 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,345,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You can blame public education to a certain extent for extinguishing creativity from an early age. When my son started kindergarten, his 60+ year old teacher explained to the parents on back to school night what was unacceptable: "In my class, the children cannot color things with the wrong color. They cannot color the grass blue or the sky purple." Those were her exact words. I wonder how Van Gogh would have felt about those comments..... This same teacher during a parent-teacher conference gave me a blow-by-blow account of how my son had scandalously lifted his backback over his head - upside-down!! - and with the zipper open!! While standing in line waiting for class to start! Oh the horrors!!! I asked her if she realized my son was five years old. I would have thought, since she taught the class, she would have an idea of what five-year-olds do. And if that means coloring outside the lines, then by golly so be it!

Thanksfully I have been around to counterbalance the attempts educators have made in squashing the creativity out of my son, and he spends hours coming up with new inventions and ideas. The job of educators should be inspiring kids to think, question, analyze, and create. Instead, schools are a training grounds for kids to learn complacency, conformity, and obedience without question or thought. Which will make them perfect cogs and wheels in the machinery of corporate America.
I do agree that the public school system seems to frown on creativity or individualized thinking. Lots of schools even do away with music or arts programs when cutting down their budget. They think they're unimportant- while research shows they are very important for development and stimulating certain parts of the brain.

Playing a musical instrument is very much an achievement. Instead, schools encourage maths and sciences- which while they are helpful, they aren't the only necessary tool for life.

The creative part of us allows us to think in new ways, explore new ideas, and most importantly -self expression.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM

15,598 posts, read 36,443,146 times
Alaska is full of creative peoples. You should see some of the homes, the vehicles, the artwork or business'. Red Green is my favorite show. That guy can create anything with duct tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics