Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:19 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,806,930 times

Advertisements

Well for all those that do not want us to say merry christmas can just go to work like they do everyday. No long weekend for you. Hopefully you work in a grocery store so I can pick up some more egg nog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 09:19 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,704,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well then, just what IS appropriate to say? I work at Lowe's, and last year I had several negative responses from people. I started off by saying "Merry Christmas" to people, and I had one woman say she was Jewish. I then started saying "Happy Holidays", and I had one elderly gentleman say "It's CHRISTMAS; Get it right!" What do you people want from me? Chrismahannukwanzakkah?! LOL! How about just a good 'ole fashoined "BAH HUMBUG?!" ;o)
Be yourself, you can't please everyone. The way I look at it is if I already had a "clear conscience" before I said it, meaning I meant well, if someone gets offended by me trying to be pleasant, that's their problem not mine.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:32 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,692,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Well then, just what IS appropriate to say? I work at Lowe's, and last year I had several negative responses from people. I started off by saying "Merry Christmas" to people, and I had one woman say she was Jewish. I then started saying "Happy Holidays", and I had one elderly gentleman say "It's CHRISTMAS; Get it right!" What do you people want from me? Chrismahannukwanzakkah?! LOL! How about just a good 'ole fashoined "BAH HUMBUG?!" ;o)

LOL!!! Well, I say "Merry Christmas". I have lots of friends that are Jewish and they always wish others a "Merry Christmas" and we tell them "Happy Hanakuah". What if the tables were turned. Say you stopped at a business that was owned by someone that was Jewish, if they said "Happy Hannakuah" to you, would you be offended? Me? No. Everyone is different and I don't need the extra weight to carry around w/ chips on my shoulders. Life is way too short to get offended over something like that. Has anyone seen the Politically Correct Southern Christmas Story w/ Larry the Cable Guy? LOL!!!!! It is a video but I can not figure out how to get it on here for ya'll. Does anyone know how to do that and I will see what I can do? LOL!! "A nondescript holiday character" and "lady of the evening, lady of the evening, lady of the evening". It is funny.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 AM

421 posts, read 466,040 times
Default One single athiest

Because of one single athiest in this town, and the ACLU, anything that remotely looks or sounds like xmas was erased. The lighting of the town tree is now called the HOLIDAY TREE...all the angels or drummer boys lights on the poles were replaced with pointsettas and soldier boys..so on and so on.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,608,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Be yourself, you can't please everyone. The way I look at it is if I already had a "clear conscience" before I said it, meaning I meant well, if someone gets offended by me trying to be pleasant, that's their problem not mine.
Here! Here! Very well put. I know that I always mean well, when I say "Merry Christmas", but if some folks don't like it, well, I'm sorry, but I can't read your minds. Scowl at me all you want...

Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 AM

22,844 posts, read 28,072,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
Because of one single athiest in this town, and the ACLU, anything that remotely looks or sounds like xmas was erased. The lighting of the town tree is now called the HOLIDAY TREE...all the angels or drummer boys lights on the poles were replaced with pointsettas and soldier boys..so on and so on.
In the whole town? I doubt that. You mean on city government property? Well, that I can buy. I don't like it, honestly, but I can't see getting all bent out of shape about it. Decorate your own home to your heart's content. Love your family and neighbors. Help those who need helping. But life is too short to get angry because the city isn't celebrating the holidays like you think they should. Yes, the same is true of the atheist. He needs to live and let live. But don't fall into the same trap he did.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:49 AM

421 posts, read 466,040 times
Ignoring issues is not my style...If some are going to make big profits from a Christian holiday then please show what holiday it really is and that is CHRISTMAS. Should we or can we change everything that has the word Christmas in it? They have already changed Silent Night Holy night to something else which i can't think of right now... What will they do with Twas the Night before Christmas? Twas the night before Holiday? Or the movie, The Christmas Story, will it be The Holiday Story?

Old 09-30-2006, 08:41 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,896,426 times
There are profits being made on all sides--mostly in advertising.
As Mark S said, the media fans the flames of the controversy in order to sell advertising. We get to watch Bill O Reilly aggressively spit out "Merry Christmas" as if it were an epithet--but viewers tune in, and this makes advertisers happy.
Commercials like "Happy Honda Days" are played on television. Merchants want us to consume as much as we possibly can during the month of December.
And so on.
I agree that there has been far too much political correctness.
Separation of church and state was, to my mind, less about freedom from religion, and more about freedom OF religion.

I ask this speculatively, not combatively:
Are we now, as a nation, more secular, or merely less Christian? Is saying Merry Christmas more important than saying Happy Holidays? Should it be? What about public acknowledgement of the Christian aspect of the season?
Should Christians feel marginalized if there is no Nativity display at the courthouse?
Can't they just go to church? I mean, do non-Christians have a moral obligation to deliver sectarian greetings?
I dunno. I myself have no problem with a creche. But neither do I find it offensive to wish people of all creeds "Happy Holidays."

I simply don't think that this country is the same as when I was born.
There is both good and bad to that. I remember my Jewish friend having to sing a Christmas hymn in elementary school, which she gamely did.

The PC police need to lighten up, that's a fact. However, a sincerely spoken "Merry Christmas" is one thing; wearing a silly red band to display your agenda is quite another.

Commercializing Christmas is nothing new, but we are indeed at a wretched all-time low. It's too bad that people shop just because they can. A day of rest is a day of rest and benefits all,physically and spiritually, no matter what its origin. But it's nice for the Jews when the Chinese restaurants are open--which they usually are.

The month of December presents us with the opportunity to celebrate the holidays individually as well as collectively. The last thing I would want is to lose the good feeling that time of year is supposed to convey.

People talk about the "reason for the season." What would Jesus say about all this??
I wonder.
Christmas is a time when people of all religious faiths all over the world celebrate the birth of Jesus by buying each other a bunch of crap no one needs.....Bart Simpson

Old 09-30-2006, 11:42 AM

504 posts, read 1,760,695 times
I am an atheist and I have no problems with what people worship. I have no problem with Christmas displays. But I know that if Muslims or any other religion wanted to use city hall, or any other puplic place,for thier display when thier holiday was around all hell would break lose. I am sure Jesus wanted his birthday celebration to be the biggest commercial ever. Here in Florida all hell is breaking loose over school days off. The Christians want thiers, the Jews want thiers, the Muslims want thiers etc. Go to a private school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics