Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:04 PM

502 posts, read 2,291,207 times

Advertisements

[CENTER]
[lyrics cut out - copyrights][/CENTER]

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Last edited by Administrator; 09-20-2006 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: lyrics cut out - copyrights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,325,250 times
pixieshmoo, you're right! This country was found on God. Look on the back of your dollar bills. What's the first thing a new president does as he enters office--swears on a bible. I don't know how they can ignore all of that in Washington. It's all over their buildings.
I remember pledging the allegiance and having a moment of prayer in school. We turned out pretty good.
Merry Christmas to you all!

Old 09-14-2006, 02:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,617,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
[CENTER]
Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light
From now on,
our troubles will be out of sight
Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Make the Yule-tide gay,
From now on,
our troubles will be miles away.

Here we are as in olden days,
happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
gather near to us once more.

Through the years we all will be together
If the Fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.[/CENTER]

[CENTER][/CENTER]
Great I will be singing that all day!!! Cant wait

Old 09-14-2006, 02:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,273 times
I have to politely disagree with one comment made here. I don't mind hearing or saying "Happy Holidays". However, I never said or took it to mean what people want it to mean now. I took it as a well-wish for the whole holiday combined (Christmas and New Year's). I figured it's easier than yelling out at a cashier "HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A Haaapppeee Neewww Yeeeeaar" as you head out the door. Happy Holidays meant both smooshed into one greeting, quick and easy. But if they're trying to change that meaning too now, than I won't be saying that anymore.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:33 PM

183 posts, read 1,261,164 times
This is happening because there are so many people with different religions, backgrounds, beliefs, and races in our country that they want to try and change what we have done for many years. I think we have bent over backwards to change the US to accommodate others. Changing Merry Christmas to Happy Holiday is just ridiculous. Who is it hurting! Say what you want no one is forcing you to say Merry Christmas. I'm so tired of everthing having to be politicaly correct.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 PM

I love everything about Christmas!!! I love the fact that it's a peaceful time of year. I love the fact that we are celebrating the birth of someone wonderful (to say the least) and not mourning the loss of something, as we have too much of that. I love the colors, the decorations, the gift giving, watching people open what I've given them, watching my children open theirs, the prayers we say, the food we eat. I love still, in my 30's, waiting with the kids to see if we can hear Santa's jingle bells outside, looking out by the moon to see if they are flying by. I love the notes my kids write to Santa, and the cookies and milk they leave. I love writing notes back to them from "Santa". I love the snow (if we have it) with the lights reflecting off of it. I love watching it snow or waiting to see if it snows, the smell of the tree, the warmth of the fireplace. I love the shows, whether they are about Jesus (I bawl my eyes out) or family shows like A Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th or cartoons like It's Christmastime Charlie Brown! IT IS MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!

The only three things I don't like are the traffic/crowds when trying to shop and the fact that suddenly people are only nice because it's the holiday...then a week later they're back to being miserable. I also don't like when people are wishing you a "happy holiday" as they are shoving you out of the way and running you over with their cart...duh.

Why would anyone want to take all that spirit away?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
This is happening because there are so many people with different religions, backgrounds, beliefs, and races in our country that they want to try and change what we have done for many years. I think we have bent over backwards to change the US to accommodate others. Changing Merry Christmas to Happy Holiday is just ridiculous. Who is it hurting! Say what you want no one is forcing you to say Merry Christmas. I'm so tired of everthing having to be politicaly correct.
You couldn't be more right! I have no problem with what anyone else's beliefs are, to each his own, but YOU are HERE, respect what we have, what we do, what we believe in...you can celebrate your own holiday and religion, we're not stopping you from doing that but if you're trying to change how we do ours, then just leave. And any politicians who think it's okay to reaccomodate all the years, decades and centuries it has taken to get America the freedom we have, then they can leave too and go live with the people who a*sses they're kissing.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:07 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,247,021 times
Default Christmas

[quote=mariatherese;90976]I would consider myself someone who sits on the extreme left side of the fence. But I agree with you- the whole political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand! ***** Happy Holidays. I am not religious, but that is what it means to alot of people, I don't find it offensive that people say merry christmas- why on earth would i? if the holiday is important to them because of their religion, then that is their own business. just like it is my own business to not believe in god.

and we should all be OK with that, should all be OK with what others might celebrate or not celebrate, believe or not believe, instead of trying to lump everything together in some unoffensive term and pretend that we are all the same.

(I work at at TV news station. believe me, yes- it is all media created. they are just afraid to get sued. its ridiculous).

we have to stop this "one size fits all" crap. its not promoting tolerance in the US, it is just making things worse. we have to learn that being a melting pot society does not mean that the pot should all melt together. tolerence does not mean pretending to be the same. tolerance means celebrating and each other's differences and allowing everyone to be themselves.

I agree with you! You said it just right.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,450,390 times
[quote=MHT;91095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I would consider myself someone who sits on the extreme left side of the fence. But I agree with you- the whole political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand! ***** Happy Holidays. I am not religious, but that is what it means to alot of people, I don't find it offensive that people say merry christmas- why on earth would i? if the holiday is important to them because of their religion, then that is their own business. just like it is my own business to not believe in god.

and we should all be OK with that, should all be OK with what others might celebrate or not celebrate, believe or not believe, instead of trying to lump everything together in some unoffensive term and pretend that we are all the same.

(I work at at TV news station. believe me, yes- it is all media created. they are just afraid to get sued. its ridiculous).

we have to stop this "one size fits all" crap. its not promoting tolerance in the US, it is just making things worse. we have to learn that being a melting pot society does not mean that the pot should all melt together. tolerence does not mean pretending to be the same. tolerance means celebrating and each other's differences and allowing everyone to be themselves.

We need more lefties like you on CNN, you get some reps from me

Old 09-14-2006, 03:50 PM

183 posts, read 1,261,164 times
[quote=MHT;91095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I would consider myself someone who sits on the extreme left side of the fence. But I agree with you- the whole political correctness thing has gotten way out of hand! ***** Happy Holidays. I am not religious, but that is what it means to alot of people, I don't find it offensive that people say merry christmas- why on earth would i? if the holiday is important to them because of their religion, then that is their own business. just like it is my own business to not believe in god.

Its nice to know someone agrees with me!!! lol lol lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics