Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:55 PM

183 posts, read 1,261,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I love everything about Christmas!!! I love the fact that it's a peaceful time of year. I love the fact that we are celebrating the birth of someone wonderful (to say the least) and not mourning the loss of something, as we have too much of that. I love the colors, the decorations, the gift giving, watching people open what I've given them, watching my children open theirs, the prayers we say, the food we eat. I love still, in my 30's, waiting with the kids to see if we can hear Santa's jingle bells outside, looking out by the moon to see if they are flying by. I love the notes my kids write to Santa, and the cookies and milk they leave. I love writing notes back to them from "Santa". I love the snow (if we have it) with the lights reflecting off of it. I love watching it snow or waiting to see if it snows, the smell of the tree, the warmth of the fireplace. I love the shows, whether they are about Jesus (I bawl my eyes out) or family shows like A Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th or cartoons like It's Christmastime Charlie Brown! IT IS MY FAVORITE HOLIDAY!!

The only three things I don't like are the traffic/crowds when trying to shop and the fact that suddenly people are only nice because it's the holiday...then a week later they're back to being miserable. I also don't like when people are wishing you a "happy holiday" as they are shoving you out of the way and running you over with their cart...duh.

Why would anyone want to take all that spirit away?
Christmas is my favorite time of the year too for all the reasons you said. I love when I put 5 year old to bed and he is so excited that he can hardly sleep. I have everyone over my house for Christmas Eve and I do the 7 fishes. Then on Christmas Day we have a small group over for dinner. We try to make it back home every other year to celebrate with family and wish for snow!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 04:18 PM

153 posts, read 561,838 times
Default The voice of dissention

Rest assured, there is no great conspiracy to get rid of Christmas!! Last I heard, the Taliban hadn't taken over the States!

The anger and feelings of exclusion that you feel when someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" are the same feelings others feel when their own connection to the divine is unacknowleged in favor of another. "Happy Holidays" (although very generic) is simply a compassionate response to include everyone in our good wishes during the season of Peace. It doesn't say "I don't believe in Christ," it says "I wish you happiness, love, peace and great blessings regardless of our differences." You could choose a number of other words to convey the same thing eg. “Peace to you” “Holiday Blessings” “Enjoy the Season” etc. It’s not an attempt to homogenize everyone into a lump in the melting pot, but to focus on what unites us rather than what sets us apart from one another. This all seems very much in the spirit of Christ, eh? His name doesn't even need to be uttered for His presence to be felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
Trying to get everyone to say happy holiday instead of Merry Christmas..grrrrrrr...well what holiday is it then?
Wellllll...it's Christmas, and it's Winter Solstice, and it's Kwaanza, and it's Hanukkah, and it’s Ramadan…And each of these beautiful celebrations that take place in December/January carry their own unique rituals, imagery, & mythologies used to express and give thanks for the Divine within each of us.

Imo, to acknowledge only one of many equally valid paths to ‘God’ (even unknowingly and without malice) is to disrespect and limit the Divine. It shuts down communication between people, it causes fear and shame, and it breaks down any possibility of connection and peace among human beings. It is this same vein of thought that feeds religious intolerance and extremism, and wages “holy wars.” Our Christian founding fathers demonstrated this wisdom when they wrote freedom of religion and separation of church and state into our constitution.

If simply changing my choice of words can help someone to know I accept them, even though they are different from me, I’m OK with that. It’s a small effort for a HUGE return. To you all, I say Merry, Merry Christmas!

Old 09-14-2006, 05:10 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,270,584 times
Imo, to acknowledge only one of many equally valid paths to ‘God’ (even unknowingly and without malice) is to disrespect and limit the Divine.

John 14:6 Jesus said I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the father except through me.

The Bible...believe it or not.....your choice...I believe it.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:32 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,358,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This whole "controversy" is media-created. Ignore it. Every one enjoy the holidays, be good to your neighbors, love your family, and get on with life.
Exactly. I don't know why anyone would be offended one way or the other. I don't know of anyone in my real (i.e. offline) life who does not celebrate Christmas who gets offended when someone says "Merry Christmas" nor do I know anyone who celebrates Christmas (like myself) who gets offended if someone says "Happy Holidays". Who cares one way or the other? It's just a pithy store greeting. People need to relax. It's ridiculous and there's no need to try to create a controversy where there isn't one.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:17 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,518 times
I can't speak for everyone on here, but what I'm upset about is being told I "can't" say it or "shouldn't" say it. I don't think it should have anything to do with political correctness, it should be irrelevant. My point was that, regardless of all the different kinds of religion that is recognized, this particular country was based on God, not Allah, Buddah, etc. Those religions were brought into this country afterward. Christmas came from Christianity and "Merry Christmas" derived from Christmas. It's not about the actual term, I suppose, it's about readjusting, yet once again, what we say and do to fit everyone else's wants and desires. It's been this way for, well, forever, I guess, and it's worked fine. So why change it? I know plenty of people who are different religions and celebrate in different ways, I respect them and they respect me. I wish people Happy Hannikah or Kwanzaa and so on...that's not the point. We let everyone into this country and let a lot of them walk all over us. We say "it's a free country, we should respect others' beliefs." Okay, fine...then why would a person(s) suggest we change one of our rituals to make other people happy? If someone doesn't like saying "Merry Christmas" then don't say it, or ignore the person who said it to you...whatever floats your boat. But because someone had to make a big deal about "changing" it, now we're making a big deal about not changing it.

Does that make sense, because I started to ramble?

Lastly, it's like taking prayer out of school. That's how it was, we did it, end of story. But people started to complain so they stopped it. I'm not against anyone who doesn't want to pray, again, we all have our own beliefs and it's our right to have those particular beliefs and it's our "own free will". We also have freedom of speech. But, what I'm saying is that it was okay to take it away. Okay, fine...however, if people who want prayer in school start complaining, do you think they'll put it back into school? No way. We just keep bending away from everything that we based America on.

Point is that we always allow people to come and take away from us, but we never get given back to us....why do we keep bending? Hey, here's a new idea, why don't we stop calling it America? We can call it MexArabFrica or something.

But again, I speak for myself, not everyone else on here.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 AM

153 posts, read 561,838 times
It’s interesting that this thread started with a story about the “Christmas Tree.” Check out these sites for info about the origin of the Christmas Tree --
From the History Channel http://www.history.com/minisite.do?c...2&mini_id=1290
Here are some highlights from http://www.religioustolerance.org/xmas_tree.htm :
Quote:
~ The early Christian Church in the third century strictly prohibited the decoration of their houses with evergreen boughs.
~The Prophet Jeremiah condemned as Pagan the ancient Middle Eastern practice of cutting down trees, bringing them into the home and decorating them. … Some Christians feel that this Pagan practice was similar enough to our present use of Christmas trees that this passage from Jeremiah can be used to condemn both:
Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."
~ The English Puritans condemned a number of customs associated with Christmas, such as the use of the Yule log, holly, mistletoe, etc. Oliver Cromwell preached against "the heathen traditions" of Christmas carols, decorated trees and any joyful expression that desecrated "that sacred event." [it’s interesting that all the things we LOVE about Christmas were once condemned in the name of God. ]
~ In Northern Europe, the ancient Germanic people tied fruit and attached candles to evergreen tree branches, in honor of their god Woden. Trees were viewed as symbolizing eternal life. This is the deity after which Wednesday was named. The trees joined holly, mistletoe, the wassail bowl and the Yule log as symbols of the season. All predated Christianity.
~ Today, the Christmas Tree has become accepted by Christians, people of other faiths, and for those who do not follow an organized religion. It has become a popular late-December tradition and part of our present-day culture. As Gail Quick, University of South Carolina - Beaufort's dean of university relations, commented on the occasion of a community tree-lighting ceremony.: "This Christmas event every year is the glue that holds this community together…”

Old 09-15-2006, 01:32 AM

421 posts, read 465,990 times
Default Wow, so glad all are in agrreement on this one...it's refreshing!

Last yr, they didn't put up some decorations on the streets because it would offend athiests...i thinks there's only 2..LOL...they didn't put up the Angels...only candy canes and pointsettas and wooden soldiers are allowed. No nativities are allowed in public...soooooooooo sad. The stores here also will not put up decorations that are remotely Christmas and all banners say Happy Holiday! So Christmas is litterally banned...but gangsta rap is OK?

Old 09-15-2006, 02:11 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,518 times
Quote:
Last yr, they didn't put up some decorations on the streets because it would offend athiests...i thinks there's only 2..LOL...they didn't put up the Angels...only candy canes and pointsettas and wooden soldiers are allowed. No nativities are allowed in public...soooooooooo sad. The stores here also will not put up decorations that are remotely Christmas and all banners say Happy Holiday! So Christmas is litterally banned...but gangsta rap is OK?

Rainbowwaves, you are so funny. I've noticed how many times you have made a comment regarding gangsta' rap, so I'm assuming you must loathe the idea of it. Since no one has really regarded your comments on it, I wil: I can't stand it. There is no justification for it to exist whatsoever. It's quite sickening to hear and what makes it worse is when you see these little skinny, twerpy white guys that are like 16, driving around dressed up like gangsters or pimps BLARING that music out of their car. Do they realize how stupid they look to white, black, hispanic and any other kind of person? I don't even think they grasp the meaning of the music...but my kids know, you can listen to whatever you like...EXCEPT RAP. End of Story, no ifs, ands or buts.

Doublet: It's funny you should mention that because even though Christianity is against Paganism, a lot of what we know as Christians (Catholics, Baptists, etc.) has derived from Paganism.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:19 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,280 times
Quote:

Heard about black metal too? Pretty gross music.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:20 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Heard about black metal too? Pretty gross music.
Ok I grew up with heavy metal, loved it , what is Black Metal?? new to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics