Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 AM

421 posts, read 466,040 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the response on gangsta rap as it seems ppl are afraid to say anything against it. It makes no sense to me that they are trying to stop saying Merry Christmas but it's ok to say what they say in gangsta rap...i was going to start a thread on it but then decided it would probably get messy. There was a music thread started but again, if a thread about Walmart was closed and the one on 9/11, then think what a thread on gangsta rap would do...LOL...oh well, at least you acknowledged...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 11:29 AM

Default doublet

you said>>>>Wellllll...it's Christmas, and it's Winter Solstice, and it's Kwaanza, and it's Hanukkah, and it’s Ramadan…And each of these beautiful celebrations that take place in December/January carry their own unique rituals, imagery, & mythologies used to express and give thanks for the Divine within each of us.>>>>>>
None of what you mentioned takes place on 12/25.....They in Africa don't even know what Kwanza is. Why all of a sudden do others want to muscle in on Christmas? Why would anyone want to take the joy away for the MAJORITY? I read there is something like 87% Christians in this country.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM

153 posts, read 561,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
…None of what you mentioned takes place on 12/25.....
This is not a fair comparison...Chances are you say Merry Christmas throughout the season, not just on 12/25. And no one accuses YOU of muscling in your place with the majority and trying to take away the joy of Kwaanza, Hanukkah, Ramadan etc. That’s an outrageous statement…
Quote:
Why all of a sudden do others want to muscle in on Christmas? Why would anyone want to take the joy away for the MAJORITY? I read there is something like 87% Christians in this country.
Quote:
They in Africa don't even know what Kwanza is.
Not sure where you are pulling your information from, but it’s not likely an actual African resident. According to several Kwanzaa websites, “…Kwanzaa is a unique African American (not African) celebration with focus on the traditional African values of family, community responsibility, commerce, and self-improvement. Kwanzaa is neither political nor religious and despite some misconceptions, is not a substitute for Christmas. It is simply a time of reaffirming African-American people, their ancestors and culture. Since its founding in 1966 by Dr. Maulana Karenga, Kwanzaa has come to be observed by more than18 million people worldwide, as reported by the New York Times.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:52 PM

153 posts, read 561,865 times
Quote:
Thank you for the response on gangsta rap as it seems ppl are afraid to say anything against it.
It sounds to me like you are baiting ppl to response…you know, “I dare you to say something…no, you’re too chicken.” Maybe ppl didn’t respond because they don’t agree with you OR more likely because this thread is about Christmastime sensitivity, not "gangsta rap."

Quote:
It makes no sense to me that they are trying to stop saying Merry Christmas but it's ok to say what they say in gangsta rap...
It shouldn’t really matter what “they” are trying to do. “They” can never make you stop saying Merry Christmas as long as there is still free speech in this country. The same right protects “gansta rappers,” like it or not. It’s one of the challenges of living in a free society.

Quote:
i was going to start a thread on it but then decided it would probably get messy. There was a music thread started but again, if a thread about Walmart was closed and the one on 9/11, then think what a thread on gangsta rap would do...LOL...
If you feel strongly about a discussion on “gangsta rap,” don’t let the threat of it being closed keep you from being true to yourself. If just the threat of censure keeps us silent, we’ll never be heard. And a lot can be said before a thread gets closed, esp if ppl are debating respectfully, and following the rules of engagement (eg. Be civil, no personal attacks, no flaming. Attack ideas [politely] but do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.) Perhaps some posts in those closed threads crossed some lines? Just a guess.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:22 PM

311 posts, read 616,726 times
MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you This is a great thread...I'm glad that many feel we have a right to celebrate CHRISTmas no matter what the ACLU might have to say about it.....by the way, I intend to send several Christmas cards to the ACLU this year. Its a move started by another forum that hopes to flood the mail received by these "happy people" who makes it their objective to oppose so many things in the lives of the majority due to the "delicate" feelings of the minority. (At least the mail handlers for the ACLU will earn their pay!)

Old 09-15-2006, 11:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
Ok I grew up with heavy metal, loved it , what is Black Metal?? new to me
Not to get off topic but some kind of Satanic heavy metal that started I think Germany or somehere, now I can't remember. There's been lots of murders involved with this and they were talking to the singer in prison that started knifing his bad membes to death. really weird stuff.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,776,282 times
Wow! So much to respond to...And so many of you that I don't remember who said what except a few of those I'm familiar with...

Maria- my comrade in The Big D I agree with you 1000%!!!!!!
(Hey butterbeans- maybe I DO use % alot! )

Pixie- my comrade in NJ first time I disagree with you on something.
I am "agnostic" but I am DANG PROUD OF BEING AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!
There is much debate about the religion of our forefathers - much to do about masons, illuminati, what have you.

I have NO PROBLEM with people who believe in god, people who are religious etc.
And I think it's RIDICULOUS to "not be able" to say merry christmas!!!!!!

But I do have a problem with people shoving it down my throat.
Political correctness is RETARDED!!!!!!! Common decency is not.
I.e. using a derogatory term for someone's race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

So I do take offence at being assumed to be unAmerican if I don't believe in god.

There are good & bad of ALL kinds!!! I'm sure there are plenty of unpatriotic christians out there, as well as plenty of patriotic other religions...

This country is based on FREEDOM to believe HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE!!!!!
Which INCLUDES the right to NOT BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!
But pixie you're cool anyway!

Black Metal - you can google it, but I LOVE the music so it's fitting I explain. (& ironic this should be in a post about christmas )
It is an EXTREME form of metal - double bass drum, screeching almost piercing vocals, (although doesn't have to be ) but the main theme is a hatred of christianity. It was "started" by Norwegian/Scandinavian people who feel they were forced into christianity, thus taking away their pagan type beliefs.
There are MANY forms of this-I don't even understand it all.
But the music is EXTREME (as in fast as hell), though some is more tortured & haunting.
They even have keyboards!!!
It's really a Scandinavian thing, but became popular over here I guess because of the rebelliousness of it.
Also the music KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS, HAPPY HALLOWEEN (MY favorite holiday), HAPPY CHANNUKAH, (in all it's various spellings!)
HAPPY NEW YEAR (Christian AND Jewish - Rosh Hashanah - ask me if I didn't have to spell check THAT one!),
HAPPY EQUINOX, HAPPY SOLSTICE, HAPPY SAMHAIN, & as Ziggy said in a card I once sent to my family ages ago...
HAPPY EASTER, HAPPY SPRING,
HAPPY HAPPY EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2006, 12:42 AM

622 posts, read 2,702,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
HAPPY EASTER, HAPPY SPRING,
HAPPY HAPPY EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

so, so cute, elfyum!

(btw, every time i see your name, i think of little keebler's elves cookies: elf...yum!!!! yum yum yummy elves).

I think what the problem is, is that for so long minorites were repressed in our society. In order to fix that, we ended up going in the completely opposite direction. Now, our society is in the process of balancing itself out. People expressing their concern over the validity of political correctness- like us- are a sign of that rebalancing.

I visualize it like a pendulum.

What I mean is, it is great how much progress we have made concerning minority rights. I do not get offended by Happy Holidays either, that's not what I meant to say when I was ranting earlier. I am glad that we as a society have come to recognize other religions by saying "Happy Holidays."

but...

no one should say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas for fear of offending someone.

We should all be able to say what we believe- that is what the whole minority rights thing was about in the first place.

So, I think it's going to become balanced. I hope anyways.

Last edited by mariatherese; 09-16-2006 at 01:38 AM..

Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 AM

In my experiance with talking against gangsta rap, ppl get as crazy as the genre of music is. It's almost like a religion..and we all know how hard that is to debate. I don't think the thread about Walmart needed to be closed but they did so i am sure , no matter what, a thread about gangsta rap would surely take a racist turn as it always seems to do.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:50 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,731 times
[quote=elfyum;92759]Wow! So much to respond to...And so many of you that I don't remember who said what except a few of those I'm familiar with...

Maria- my comrade in The Big D I agree with you 1000%!!!!!!
(Hey butterbeans- maybe I DO use % alot! )

Pixie- my comrade in NJ first time I disagree with you on something.
I am "agnostic" but I am DANG PROUD OF BEING AN AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!
There is much debate about the religion of our forefathers - much to do about masons, illuminati, what have you.

I have NO PROBLEM with people who believe in god, people who are religious etc.
And I think it's RIDICULOUS to "not be able" to say merry christmas!!!!!!

But I do have a problem with people shoving it down my throat.
Political correctness is RETARDED!!!!!!! Common decency is not.
I.e. using a derogatory term for someone's race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.

So I do take offence at being assumed to be unAmerican if I don't believe in god.

There are good & bad of ALL kinds!!! I'm sure there are plenty of unpatriotic christians out there, as well as plenty of patriotic other religions...

This country is based on FREEDOM to believe HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE!!!!!
Which INCLUDES the right to NOT BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!
But pixie you're cool anyway!

Elf, I didn't mean to offend you!!! Well, of course you're american anyway, you were born here. What I meant was that, God was what the country was found on. No, not everyone believes in God, they may not believe at all, they may have doubts, they may believe in a different god. Yes, there's freedom of religion. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be. What I was saying was how, considering what our country was originally based on, why are people trying to change it and why is our government letting them? There are people trying to get In God We Trust taken off money....why, is it really effecting your life that much even though it's been on there forever? Can you not shop or pay your bills because it says that on there? That's ridiculous, people get bored when they don't have something to complain about or an issue to start. I barely even noticed it was there until someone pointed it out...because it's a STUPID ISSUE TO DEBATE...it's money, we all need it, who cares. Anyway, back on track, hey, if you're agnostic that's fine, but like you said, YOU'RE NOT SHOVING IT DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS and trying to get the government to declare we're all going to be agnostic until a new idea comes along. I'm also not trying to shove my religion down anyones throat if that's how it sounds. I believe what I believe, yes, but I'm not trying to convert people, it doesn't matter to me what other people believe in, being a good person, or the best person you can be is what's important. I just don't understand why petty things need to be changed. (which by the way, when added up they stop being petty because our country is suffering from all the change we allow). Also, sometimes it's hard to make your point here, first of all because we're writing, not talking (someone else made that point too) and secondly because it is such a touchy subject. We all have our own free will to be or believe what we want....that's not the problem. My point was the problem that when someone comes into this country, especially illegally, they have no problem speaking up and trying to change what's been here forever. And we're stupid and bend (like changing "Merry Christmas"...just shut up and deal, is what we should say). Yet, we are all here, born and legal americans and we sit back and let it happen because we feel helpless. I just don't think we should let people change certain things...if it "ain't" broke, don't fix it.

Sorry if I offended you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics