Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM

622 posts, read 2,702,032 times

Advertisements

pixie- yes, i agree! i believe we need to tighten our borders against illegal immigration! but i am not pro-war.

i guess i sort of dont fit in any political label... it just depends on the issue. i just tend to lean more to the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 PM

153 posts, read 561,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
As a side note, for all those "no religion" sticklers, look up the word, "holiday". It actually means "holy day". (Sorry, I couldn't resist! ) Merry Christmas, y'all!
holiday 1. a religious festival
holy 1. dedicated to religious use; consecrated; sacred.

religion 2. any specific system of belief, , worship, etc.
4. any object that is seriously or zealously pursued.

So, considering the other definitions of the words above, a holiday could be defined as "a day that is dedicated to a zealously pursued belief." Concievably, a "holy day" or "holiday" could be honored without any theology attached at all.

e.g. Many African Americans who are NOT Lutherans, honor Martin Luther King with whole-hearted devotion. Valentine's Day is loved by tons of women (and the men who hope to keep them ), but little is known or celebrated about the patron saint. And Independence Day has little to do with religion, but more to do with religiously believing in freedom, liberty, justice and the great sacrifices necessary to attain and keep them. <<waving my little American flag on a wooden stick and grinning!!>>

My point is, words (and numbers) can be used flexibly to support differing and even conflicting arguments.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:56 PM

22,823 posts, read 28,049,079 times
Valentine's Day was created by the Greeting Card industry. I still get in trouble if I forget it though.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,450,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Okay, I'm an idiot, because I'm completely confused and I'm probably about to sound schizo or something but, hey.....

A1m1700, what was shameful, wondering what the world is coming to? (that question was not meant to sound snippy, I'm just wondering what your reply meant, as I think I got lost in here back on page 4 or something). I didn't mean to sound like the grim reaper or anything. I was simply agreeing with Mariatherese, things just keep getting crazier and more petty and twisted as the world goes 'round. Think of what it was like when we were kids, did we get exposed to all the stuff our kids get exposed to? It stinks!!! So, I didn't mean to sound sooo bleak, but it does make you wonder, ya know?

Also, Mariatherese, I do like you and I do agree with some of the stuff you said. However, I must clear things up a bit right now...I'm republican...sorry.

I just don't agree with a lot of things that have happened since 9/11...the whole illegal immigrant thing and all that. We do really need to tighten our borders and stop letting people walk all over us. (if there weren't so many innocent, kind and honest people living in the countries we are at war with....I'd say bomb the whole d*mn country and sink it). (God forgive me for saying that, but we do need to really pull out the big guns and stop taking crap...besides, in the eyes of God, we are supposed to honor and fight for our country no matter what).

Hey pixie, I don't think you are being snippy I was saying the previous administration behaved shameful also, I am I hate to say it Republican because I am not happy at all with the party right now, so I tend to just call myself conservative but I don't see many conservatives in the current administration.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:05 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Valentine's Day was created by the Greeting Card industry. I still get in trouble if I forget it though.
Yes. I personally can't stand Valentine's Day though (my husband is both amazed and thrilled by that). Don't give me chocolate, I eat enough of it all year. You can get a card if you want, it's sweet and thoughtful but not necessary. Why go out to eat and get stuck with a three hour wait...I can cook faster. Flowers? Unless you can find me sunflowers in NJ in February, don't bother bringing any home. Diamonds? What are those?! Seriously, not big on jewels, I have a few nice things but my wedding band is most important. A quiet, romantic evening.....HA! We have kids!!! They get the cards and the candy and we get to watch them enjoy it, that I do like.

However, the actual date of Valentine's Day is the day of that massacre in Chicago. People say that's why we associate the color red, to "represent" the blood. Who knows, but on that note, then I would rather have the chocolate and the roses!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
pixie- yes, i agree! i believe we need to tighten our borders against illegal immigration! but i am not pro-war.

i guess i sort of dont fit in any political label... it just depends on the issue. i just tend to lean more to the left.

How about Independant? You can be a Liberal Independant or a conservative one. Maybe you are a little of both. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:06 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,313,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Hey pixie, I don't think you are being snippy I was saying the previous administration behaved shameful also, I am I hate to say it Republican because I am not happy at all with the party right now, so I tend to just call myself conservative but I don't see many conservatives in the current administration.

Ohhhh. Now I get it! I was wondering what I did that was shameful

Old 09-17-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Ohhhh. Now I get it! I was wondering what I did that was shameful

Oh my gosh! You thought I said you were shameful? Oh no I would never say that.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 AM

153 posts, read 561,690 times
Quote:
Nooo...Say it isn't so....you don't forget, do you? I like your posts, Mark...please tell me you don't forget??!!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:

You can't possibly forget Valentines Day,they put the Valentine Candy out 2 months before at Walmart. Oh I forgot you don't shop there. LOL I'm joking!!!!!

I have to apologize to you for calling you a koolaid drinker. I don't believe that of you and I find your post to be very enlightening and respectful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics