Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:30 AM

622 posts, read 2,702,638 times

Advertisements

My birthday is in February. I conveniently get "forgotten" around Valentine's Day. But, I don't really care, as long as I get some cuddle time.

a1m: i dont really know where i stand yet. i'm still trying to figure that out. i'm doing lots of researching, and debating. trying to figure out this whole politics thing. i'll let you all know when i figure it out. maybe i am a communist for all i know. who knows!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 01:34 AM

622 posts, read 2,702,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
holiday 1. a religious festival
holy 1. dedicated to religious use; consecrated; sacred.

religion 2. any specific system of belief, , worship, etc.
4. any object that is seriously or zealously pursued.

So, considering the other definitions of the words above, a holiday could be defined as "a day that is dedicated to a zealously pursued belief." Concievably, a "holy day" or "holiday" could be honored without any theology attached at all.

e.g. Many African Americans who are NOT Lutherans, honor Martin Luther King with whole-hearted devotion. Valentine's Day is loved by tons of women (and the men who hope to keep them ), but little is known or celebrated about the patron saint. And Independence Day has little to do with religion, but more to do with religiously believing in freedom, liberty, justice and the great sacrifices necessary to attain and keep them. <<waving my little American flag on a wooden stick and grinning!!>>

My point is, words (and numbers) can be used flexibly to support differing and even conflicting arguments.

yes, exactly. like how i love christmas but am an atheist. it is a family tradition that means something to me, though it doesnt mean celebrating the birth of christ. it means celebrating my family.

...and cookies.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:40 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
My birthday is in February. I conveniently get "forgotten" around Valentine's Day. But, I don't really care, as long as I get some cuddle time.

a1m: i dont really know where i stand yet. i'm still trying to figure that out. i'm doing lots of researching, and debating. trying to figure out this whole politics thing. i'll let you all know when i figure it out. maybe i am a communist for all i know. who knows!?

Old 09-17-2006, 03:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,776,079 times
Talking Cookies?

Did someone say cookies? (Maria you found me out! )

Hi all! Wow! There's been so much added since I've been "gone"...(I never get on here til about 2AM when I get home from work...And today I was busy emailing someone from these forums! I've never done so much written babbling...! )

But Maria - agree with you as always...
Pixie - no offense taken! (And I'm Republican too! Though technically more Libertarian... Too tired to go there! )

I never really cared much for Valentine's Day til I found my love... (I know I know..."Awwww" Come on - get it out of your systems...! )
Also it's the only time I get a box (or 2 ) of vegan chocolates!!!

Must sleep...Must sleep...

But I'm addicted...

And you guys are cool! But must sleep...

Merry Christmas To All, And To All, A Goodnight! (couldn't resist!)

Old 09-17-2006, 03:01 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,452,280 times
Quote:
I am so sick of people giving me bad rep points because they dont agree with my political stance. I only give out bad rep if I feel someone is being combative or rude. Whether or not I agree with the post is irrelevant. I welcome other people's beliefs.

Someone just gave me a bad rep in this thread saying "minorites should never rule." great. yes, I AGREE. That would be a highly unbalanced scenario. A democracy is for the majority. Did you even read my post?

This keeps happening to me. I guess I'll just keep my low rep points- even though I'm one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and I've never posted anything combative. All I've done is stated my beliefs. I guess this forum must be filled with a lot of conservatives. It's just sad when people can't accept each other's beliefs, or discuss them with an open mind- how else can you find the truth? Certainly not by having tunnel vision, never questioning yourself, and never welcoming new ideas.

urghhhh.... I'm getting sucked into the internet drama. Somebody help me. I am pathetic LOL.

Well I got 2 red dots on the NC post I'm guessing from progressives, because I said they like to stick with their own kind. The topic of the thread was looking for a progressive town, they are looking for their own kind obviously.

Then I posted on their expaining my position and asked the red dot person to give me another with their initials and my post got deleted. So it works both ways around here, but I have never given a red dot to a Lib for their opinions.

I'll have some cheese now with my whine also

Old 09-17-2006, 03:16 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,270,584 times
I also got a red dot, don't who from and it doesn't matter, they said for me think for myself and not what the Bible tells me to think, well the Bible is God's word and He does not tell me what to think, God gave us a mind to choose to believe or not. The Bible is my instruction book on how to live. I would never give some a red dod (even I knew how) just because they don't think like me.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:29 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I also got a red dot, don't who from and it doesn't matter, they said for me think for myself and not what the Bible tells me to think, well the Bible is God's word and He does not tell me what to think, God gave us a mind to choose to believe or not. The Bible is my instruction book on how to live. I would never give some a red dod (even I knew how) just because they don't think like me.

Oh please...don't even pay attention. You believe what you believe and that's that....besides, even if you were going to "think for yourself", who put that brain in your head for you? God.

And whomever it was that said that to you should realize that we're entitled to our own opinions and what may work for one person, may not for another. No sense being rude about it.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:54 PM

311 posts, read 616,691 times
Quote:
sure. you can use that phrase, whitney.

that'll be $5 please.

hmmmm...maybe i am a republican after all.

(i'm kidding! i'm kidding! i couldnt resist!)
Check is in the mail!!! Should arrive around Christmas....MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and everyone else (this includes the ACLU)

Maybe you're a Republican....we can always hope

Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,270,584 times
Thanks pixieshmoo, you are right. I have "met" some really nice people on this forum. I'm not trying to force my opions on anyone. I hope you have a great week!

Old 09-17-2006, 10:28 PM

311 posts, read 616,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Hey pixie, I don't think you are being snippy I was saying the previous administration behaved shameful also, I am I hate to say it Republican because I am not happy at all with the party right now, so I tend to just call myself conservative but I don't see many conservatives in the current administration.
alm1700, I would just say "ditto" but I need more words! At any rate, I agree!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics