Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Lottery/Gambling Winnings
$1 - $100 24 39.34%
$101 - $1,000 10 16.39%
$1,001 - $10,000 14 22.95%
$10,001 - $25,000 1 1.64%
Higher than $25,000 5 8.20%
I never won anything 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:30 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,801,304 times

Advertisements

I won 10.00!!
Too bad they were in 1.00 increments over like the past year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 06:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times
I don't ever play it, but my husband buys a ticket, occasionally. I think the most he's ever won, was about $150, maybe $200. I always tease him that all he's doing is lining someone else's pocket. He retorts that we can't win, if we don't play. I don't really mind that he plays. He doesn't buy alot of tickets. (All of our bills are paid on time, no one goes without food, or clothes, etc..). But, I couldn't tell you how many times he has seen folks buying hundreds of dollars worth of those things! People are nuts! It's one thing to buy a ticket, here and there, for fun. I imagine most folks do, but I can't help but think, that if those people who throw away hundreds of dollars, put them to better, (and proper), use, maybe their kids would have food in their bellies, and clothes on their backs, instead of relying on the taxpayers to do it for them.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:58 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,697,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Maybe I did bring you some luck : )
Yes you probably did!!! Good thing we are talking again, i am buying some for Saturday!!!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,697,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I don't ever play it, but my husband buys a ticket, occasionally. I think the most he's ever won, was about $150, maybe $200. I always tease him that all he's doing is lining someone else's pocket. He retorts that we can't win, if we don't play. I don't really mind that he plays. He doesn't buy alot of tickets. (All of our bills are paid on time, no one goes without food, or clothes, etc..). But, I couldn't tell you how many times he has seen folks buying hundreds of dollars worth of those things! People are nuts! It's one thing to buy a ticket, here and there, for fun. I imagine most folks do, but I can't help but think, that if those people who throw away hundreds of dollars, put them to better, (and proper), use, maybe their kids would have food in their bellies, and clothes on their backs, instead of relying on the taxpayers to do it for them.
Mine is 6.00 a week!!! I always get three dollars each drawing. I cannot imagine doing more.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,800,901 times
Nea1 - good luck.

My lucky number is 5 so try something with a 5.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:18 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,184,342 times
I used to play more often than now. Now, I may remember to buy a couple of quick picks when the jackpot is really high. And I mean, HIGH.
The most I've ever won was around $60'ish. Sometimes I get 3 numbers (rarely) and will just put those $3 or $4 back into another ticket. My hubby, however, will buy $1.00 lotto ticket twice a week. He'll get out of bed at 9pm if he realizes he forgot to get a ticket earlier for that night's drawing.
I figure it this way. When I start to itemize everything I NEED to do and everything I WANT to do and all the people and animals I HAVE to help out, a mere 3 or 6 million, after taxes, will not help at all :-) so I have high expectations and play only when it will make a real difference. LOL...

Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,688,089 times
Guys, I've had this thought out for a few months because I just feel like one of these days I'm going to win...I had a dream or maybe even a premonition that I'd get a big financial break in about a year and a half and I hope this is it--but I'm not quitting my day job

Anyway, this is what I would do if I were to win the lottery...and since tomorrow's drawing is worth 78 million, let's pretend I won tomorrow. I would:
--Give 10 percent to the church
--Build brand new houses for the 3 most important ladies in my life
--Write checks out for all my relatives and best friends and tell them to spend it/invest it wisely
--Pay off all my debt
--Start college funds for my niece and my cousins who aren't old enough for college yet
--Buy one of those cool flipped houses in the Arts District for me and my S.O. (who is infatuated with houses with character and big porches...and now I'm hooked to them too)
--Give my S.O. enough money to quit his job
--Start a scholarship fund in my name at the high school from where I graduated
--Give my aunt the money she needs to start a community center that she's envisioned for a long time
--Donate money to various charities and organizations
--Probably become a professional student and get as many Bachelors and Masters degrees as I can
--Have a professional team of financial advisors, accountants, and all that jazz to make sure that my money lasts beyond my lifetime
--I thought about franchising a restaurant, but the one I'm interested in doesn't do external franchising
--Make as many lives as happy as possible

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure I can come up with some more good ideas

Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 AM

364 posts, read 529,494 times
Easy, hands down. I would rescue as many homeless and sick dogs as I could. Buy some land and hire vets and vet assitants to care for them. I can't imagine the joy of going to shelters and rescuing all those furbabies. Oh... I can only dream.... for them.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,236,135 times
What a fun post, I dream every Wed and Sat because I know one day I will win the lottery!

1) Pay off all our bills
2) Buy 2 new cars
3) Get several financial advisors
4) Invest in real estate
5) Buy two houses, one in a southern state and one in Michigan where our children are
6) Write out checks to all the kids to invest, pay off bills, etc
7) Invest in my grandchildren's college education in a big way
8) Get the whole family - kids, inlaws, sister and brothers and take a wonderful trip (of course on me) and take lots of pictures and videos of the fun we had to relive over and over
9) Build a no kill shelter and adopt all of the babies I could in order to save
10) Add a vet and staff to shelter to take care of babies
11) In another building start a doggie day care, for all of the babies that need human touch while mom and dad are working
12) Invest in several organizations that deal with poverty
13) Become more involved in photography, and art
Live and live and have fun - oh most important, Hubby can quit his job

Old 02-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,299,151 times
That reminds me, I have a $150million MegaBucks ticket in my wallet, and I'm sure it's a winner! I'll check it after I post.

First, I'd give enough to my mother and DH's parents so they could live comfortably for the rest of their lives and maybe share some of it with the other "kids".

Quit work and move to FL immediately, rather than waiting till Sept.

Pay off all the debts (not that we have many).

Hire a personal trainer to make this 52 year old bod look like amillion!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics