Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Lottery/Gambling Winnings
$1 - $100 24 39.34%
$101 - $1,000 10 16.39%
$1,001 - $10,000 14 22.95%
$10,001 - $25,000 1 1.64%
Higher than $25,000 5 8.20%
I never won anything 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:46 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,737,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Yeah, wow. Play the MegaBall!
sometimes I do but my problem is I actually think I'm going to win and I get really upset and shocked when I don't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 01:01 AM

622 posts, read 2,702,751 times
they draw the michigan lottery where i work. i walk by that room everyday, wishing i could rig it!

Old 09-22-2006, 05:24 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,050,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
I can't believe there are some people that wouldn't retire!!!!!!!! and an infinite amount of
I mean, I know there are people like that, I just can't imagine it!!!!!!!!!!
That's the MAIN reason for wanting $$$ I would think! To be FREE!!!!!!
(And paying off the world to go vegan )

I mean, wow! Blows my mind!

99.9% would retire right there and then. Some people either love their job so much or dont think their lotto winnings is enough that they keep working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I take it you're not a hunter? I love meat, I couldn't live without it!

I dont care to hunt, my meat comes from Walmart! Buying meat is one thing, shooting animals is another!

"Everyone I can give a green dot to on this thread is getting one right now!"

Id be honored to recieve one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
they draw the michigan lottery where i work. i walk by that room everyday, wishing i could rig it!

LOL I wouldnt try that! Theres like 20 video cameras watching and if you lay a finger on the machine, youll be whisked strait to jail! What you could do is maybe visit some psychic and ask for the "lucky" numbers. Or maybe try to dream up the winning lottery numbers while sleeping! All ya gotta do is get a few series of numbers right!

Anyway some of you are not being relistic about what youd do if you won the lotto. First of all, the winnings are subject to taxation. Second of all, its either a lum sum or a little every year for 20, 30, 40, whatever years your state decides on. I read a magazine a few years ago of several stories of people spending all their lotto winnings and ending up broke again!

If I win the lotto(I wish!) id choose lump sum and after taxes, id have 36% left of the winnings! Big bite, I know but still alot! Say I win $14 million, after lump sum and taxes, id have about 5.1 million, give or take a bit. I would give my immediate family some money, perhaps around a million. Then id go right out and buy a house, spending 10% or less of my winnings to buy one. Probably will still move out of Florida as I can get much more house for the money, maybe even a mansion for $400k? Then id buy a $20-30k car and invest the rest of the money, living a nice life on the profits of the investment alone! When I die, my survivors will inherit the many millions and they in turn can live a great life, invest and pass on the wealth generation to generation. Thats what upper class people do, the wealth keeps spreading around and they never have to work for it!

Old 09-22-2006, 03:09 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,272,352 times
Since I don't play the lottery, I don't think about what I would do with money.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,608,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You're probably on the right track! I frequently tease my husband, that when he plays, (not very much, thankfully), all he's doing is giving his money to someone else! I cringe at the thought of how much more of a savings we could have right now. Oh well, there could be worse vices to spend one's money on, right?

Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,314,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Funny you should mention that....I actually don't play it either LOL!!! But hey, it's nice to think of what I'd do if I did play and win, I suppose......

Old 09-22-2006, 07:03 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,240,213 times
I'd pass out! Once they revive me, I'd talk with a financial adviser or two or three, then decide. If I think much more past that right now, I'd just get depressed cause with my luck I'd never win LOL!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:54 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,050,022 times
Let me add another thing:

I have been checking out mansions(10000+ square feet) and I would love to own one if I won the lotto! Id also rent out multimillion dollar mansions for a few days to a couple months. One mansion is in south Africa. Its like 21,000 square feet! They want 4.8m or $700-3500 a day rent, cheaper if you rent for a longer period of time. I saw pictures and my jaw hit the floor! Sooooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its oceanfront and great mountain views too! I would pay just to step in and take a look around!

Old 09-23-2006, 09:45 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,773,649 times
I'd continue to live in my little home, and I'd do what I do for a living. But I'd spend the money I don't have now, to make the business even more enjoyable and more efficient. I'd hire an assistant (actually more like an apprentice) so I could work more efficiently, and take time off with less stress.

I'd hire a finish carpenter to build more and better shelving for compact discs, books and LP's, and I'd remove the laughable shelving I created. I'd hire a painter. I'd hire a web designer and fix my laughable site. I'm actually plodding away at this stuff now.

Once I got things running more efficiently, I'd travel more and regularly.

I'd sit on boards....get them to work around my travel schedule!

I'd go to Perugia and hear Enrico Pierranunzi. I'd go to Krakow and hear Tomasz Stanko. I'd go to New York and hear Kurt Rosenwinkel, Ben Monder, Bill Frisell and Dave Douglas. Day at MOMA and nights at The Vanguard. I'd go to Mass Moca, The Gehry Disney Concert Hall in LA, and The Getty museum in Los Angeles. I'd go to Salvador Bahia and see Carlinos Brown. I'd go see Hermeto Paschoal wherever he was. There's a long list of people I'd want to go see before it was too late. Clark Terry is right at the top of the list.

I'd see if I could talk Sister Wendy Beckett (who I very strongly suspect I'm related to) into going to The Met, The Uffizi or The Vatican with me. Her choice. In fact I'd gladly make a sizeable donation to her order if she'd just sit and look through her books with me.

I'd go to The Reichsmuseum in Amsterdaam. The Van Gogh museum too.

I'd buy back the house my wife grew up in so she could go there Summers when she needed a break from the museum and festival grind I'd be on for more of the calendar.

I'd fix my stereo, buy a new needle for my turntable, etc...replace some old parts and components. I'd buy a Tivo 3 series and pay somebody to teach me how to work it.

I'd get the body work done on my car and give it to one of the kids. I suppose I'd have to get a newer one.

Gee, this is fun....

Old 09-24-2006, 06:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,254,455 times
There's been an interesting side thread about animals. All the relevant posts have been moved here: city-data.com/forum/other-topics/16425-spin-off-lottery-thread-animals.html

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics