Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 AM

24,335 posts, read 22,878,155 times

Advertisements

I was watching some of " Melancholia" and saw the latest Steve Carrell film trailer about the meteor, " Looking for Someone for the end of the world or whatever." Both looked pretty bad.
Assuming you'd survive the mass hysteria and rioting that would go on if weeks or months advanced warning was given, what would you do? People in major urban areas could probably write themselves off as early victims and society would break down pretty quickly. But if it was just a few days warning you could probably hold up or get to a reasonably close destination to spend your final hours.
Me, I'd probably hold up in the basement with the familyand make my peace with God. Okay, honestly.... besides that Iwould wish HARD for something like out of the movie "Time Bandits" would happen and an escape gateway to another time or dimesnion or plane of existence would open up.
That Nicholas cage flick was pretty bad as was 2012. We're seeing so many end of the world films but they by and large suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,041,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was watching some of " Melancholia" and saw the latest Steve Carrell film trailer about the meteor, " Looking for Someone for the end of the world or whatever." Both looked pretty bad.
Assuming you'd survive the mass hysteria and rioting that would go on if weeks or months advanced warning was given, what would you do? People in major urban areas could probably write themselves off as early victims and society would break down pretty quickly. But if it was just a few days warning you could probably hold up or get to a reasonably close destination to spend your final hours.
Me, I'd probably hold up in the basement with the familyand make my peace with God. Okay, honestly.... besides that Iwould wish HARD for something like out of the movie "Time Bandits" would happen and an escape gateway to another time or dimesnion or plane of existence would open up.
That Nicholas cage flick was pretty bad as was 2012. We're seeing so many end of the world films but they by and large suck.
Things would breakdown in a matter of hours of the news hitting. people running amok knowing they have nothing to lose. Me-I would stage an awesome house party with friends, family, My S.O. or wife and her family. (If applicable) to be together during the day. The eve would be reserved for me an the Miss if this applied. I certainly would not be looting, trashing stuff etc.

We who are living right now will not likely see the end in our lifetimes, Unless an asteroid strike of biblical proportions hits us, Or a monumental plague arises and even then Earth goes on just with way less poeple, Or no one and then another species will evolve over time. The Earth, She is tough. Millions of years of natural upheavals, And us and our wars, pollution and madness. if NO event happens the world will continue for BILLIONS of years until the sun goes supernova. By then only Keith Richards will remain.

"Knowing" with Nic Cage was a weird one, Visually stunning but believe me if E.T.s do exist they certainly would not want humans as refugees on their world. Unless they were hostile and could assimilate us to their benefit.

Good thread though.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,631,123 times
Heehee - it's fun to play 'what if' sometimes.
Where I live, is pretty far from a major city. We have speculated a 'fall' and what we would do.
We have a survival pack packed with the small but important essentials needed for what ever may come and it's not because of the end of the world that we made our survival pack. Many things could happen, and we live in earthquake country.
If I had to leave my home, I would head north to the family land which is really in the middle of nowhere, yet has a small group of resident families on the whole mountain. We have 80 acres, and it's a 20 minute walk to the river. We have a spring and plenty of wildlife to eat. As well as having our own livestock and garden.
Now if it was the big end and we knew it was coming, I'd sit with all my family and watch funny movies.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM

6,441 posts, read 5,226,677 times
The End Of The World, How Would Spend Your Last Day?

I would do the same thing I do now day and night which is take care of my four-legged loved ones.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,561,884 times
Well that's a "thinker" isn't it? I don't know what I would do, guess I would grab my animals and cell phone and head on over to my Mother's house and when I got there I would call all my friends and family and say goodbye. I'd probably be scared out of my mind but I would try to hold it together for my family. Probably would be a good idea to carry on like usual, cook a great meal and sit down together and reminisce about the good times and other loved ones who already passed on before us and how we will now all get to be together again. At least I hope so anyway.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,447,590 times
I would carry a sign that says, "The End of the World is Near" on one side and "I Told You So!" on the other.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:08 PM

23,057 posts, read 28,765,248 times
Offering cigarettes to all those anti-smoking zealots who warned me about how smoking would shorten my lifespan!

Being I couldn't be arrested and thrown in prison, my oh my, the fun I could have!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,337,228 times
I would do what ever I do in a normal day.......and that evening I would go home and have a fantastic meal and while sitting in my favorite chair I would bend over and kiss my a$$ good bye.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:51 AM

51,696 posts, read 15,624,467 times
Since our kids only live a few minutes away we would all gather together here at the house if there wasn't alot of time,pray and try and keep it together in knowing that we would all see each other again on the other side..............I hope.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM

44,538 posts, read 61,192,179 times
I'd be laughing all the way to the bank...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics