Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:26 AM

16,761 posts, read 17,529,149 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

I'm posting a bit later than I normally do, partly due to the fact that I've been into town to help sort out something for Miss J.

She got charged what is, especially for her, a large sum of money from her bank for something that the bank were partly at fault with.

Long story short I got them to repay the charges.

All ended well and hopefully things will be better in the future as we also sorted out an internet glitch.

My experience of US retail banking was less than rosy. When living there we were unable to access our own funds sitting in a different State.

Also cheques (checks) had been issued in NY and in addition to the problem with the bank, many stores would not accept Out Of State cheques.

I actually felt obliged to ask if it really was a United States Of America, because at times it didn't feel like that.

So, as you can probably guess the POTD is bank related, and is;

When banks become part of the problem, not the solution.

(I get the feeling that this could be a heated POTD!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,661,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

When banks become part of the problem, not the solution.

(I get the feeling that this could be a heated POTD!)
I just got a letter in the mail from my bank stating that they were going to start charging $7 service fee unless I met certain "criteria". Either maintain a $1500 balance or have a certain amount of money electronically transferred to you account each month. It looks as though I do meet the criteria, but how much you wanna bet that they still try to charge me the service fee?

I have a feeling I will be dealing with this in the very near future. Arrghhh.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,750,531 times
That's one of the reason's why my grandmother kept her cash underneath her bed.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:25 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,485,528 times
We have had the same bank for almost 10 years now and thank goodness we have the bank we do. We have not paid any sort of fee in almost 10 years now. Our bank is a smaller community bank with 3 branches in 3 different smaller cities in our state and we know all of the tellers in 2 of the branches and most of the other bank employees in both of those branches as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:42 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,075,546 times
I despise banks and if I didn't have to use one I wouldn't. Glad you were able to get things sorted out for Miss J.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:52 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,985,286 times
I think Credit Unions are better then banks! It's sure different these days, I remember when banks provided good services and PAID interest on any money you put in the bank......... not happen these days. White collar crime!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 AM

24,628 posts, read 26,189,993 times
We fired our banks along time ago and never looked back. Credit Unions for us.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,858,236 times
The only time I see the inside of a bank is once a month to deposit the rent checks. Oh wait, that's the drive in. We stopped the legal loan sharks from using us some 18 years ago when we paid off our mortgage. It's obscene how much money a 30 yr. mortgage costs in interest.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,302,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
We fired our banks along time ago and never looked back. Credit Unions for us.

I have been with my credit union for over ten years and have never had one issue. Great customer service and no fees. Our credit union has several locations and is open all day Saturday.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM

44,433 posts, read 20,200,157 times
I love my bank! It's a regional, family-owned bank, started in 1895 and still going strong with $2.1 billion in assets (I just looked it up). They have 45 branches throughout NW IN, and the customer service is phenomenal. I can't say enough good things about this bank. Checking is free and there's no charge for ATM use by their own customers. They have state-of-the-art technology. The bank even provides me with a personal financial advisor - also free of charge.

I'm very thankful that I have a great bank that I can trust. I know I'm in a small minority of people who can say that!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics