Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 AM

16,756 posts, read 17,524,682 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

Following on from yesterday's administrative disaster at that hospital I'll follow up with another area of officialdom. It's centreing (thank you spell check, I'm English) around a document that Mrs J and I were trying to decipher at the weekend. Mrs J was wondering whether to use the 'Park and Ride' in the nearby big town.

It was decidedly unclear to us whether she would have to pay £2.50 for a day return, or £4.00 for an all day ticket. In the end she took her car into town and switched car parks during the day- the very thing that the Park and Ride scheme is looking to avoid happen!

Anyway, that's the kind of example of unclear information that is today's peeve.

The POTD is

Information that is as clear as mud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,096,570 times
That would be anything remotely resembling point of origin labeling on many U.S. food items. Good peeve Jezer. My eyesight is getting worse and fine print that was once difficult to read is now impossible. I don't carry a magnifying glass around with me. One of these days people are gonna finally let our politicians know about it. I hope!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 AM

16,756 posts, read 17,524,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
That would be anything remotely resembling point of origin labeling on many U.S. food items. Good peeve Jezer. My eyesight is getting worse and fine print that was once difficult to read is now impossible. I don't carry a magnifying glass around with me. One of these days people are gonna finally let our politicians know about it. I hope!
Good one!

I used to find it very difficult to read the small print on labels.

Varifocal lenses have helped a lot, but why is the print so small in the first place?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 AM

114,838 posts, read 66,096,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good one!

I used to find it very difficult to read the small print on labels.

Varifocal lenses have helped a lot, but why is the print so small in the first place?
Good question Jezer. Just as in contracts it may need to be there but doesn't have to be readable. Makes no sense does it?

Old 07-18-2012, 04:04 AM

36,527 posts, read 16,113,544 times
Some times they make instructions or things so hard to understand, why can't they just spell it out clearly, and yes in bigger letters.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:02 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,354,079 times
Great peeve!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:12 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.
Following on from yesterday's administrative disaster at that hospital I'll follow up with another area of officialdom. It's centreing (thank you spell check, I'm English) around a document that Mrs J and I were trying to decipher at the weekend. Mrs J was wondering whether to use the 'Park and Ride' in the nearby big town.It was decidedly unclear to us whether she would have to pay £2.50 for a day return, or £4.00 for an all day ticket. In the end she took her car into town and switched car parks during the day- the very thing that the Park and Ride scheme is looking to avoid happen!
Anyway, that's the kind of example of unclear information that is today's peeve.
The POTD is
Information that is as clear as mud.
Morning Jezer: Greetings to you and Mrs. J from across the pond here in Connecticut. In the 90 degree range again today with 94 percent humidity..just awful. I get what you are saying about information that is "as clear as mud". Couple of weeks ago, we bought this game to play down by our pool. It is called "Bean Bag Toss". It is a really popular game here in the states and goes by several different names. Anyhow, the jist of the game is that you stand back a ways and toss the bean bags into holes cut into either a board or in this case a canvas cloth that is strapped over theses bars. Fun, and challenging, so many points for each hole, very similar to horseshoes if you have ever played that. Well, the directions come in English, German and I believe Spanish and they were as clear as MUD. What should have taken 20 minutes to put together turned out to be a total fiasco that lasted at least an hour. One side of this "contraption" kept looking shorter than the other and after totally going against what the directions called for and using common sense, we got this game put together. This happens alot with things purchased here..directions in several languages and often times incorrect. Christmas can be a nightmare when it comes to putting toys together the night before..so glad my son is grown! LOL

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,074,616 times
Over the weekend I was trying to make heads or tails out of some instructions and finally looked on the box to see where it was made nothing quite like trying to decipher instructions that were translated from Chinese into English

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,981,783 times
Sounds like Chinese instructions for assembling xmas gift toys for the kids. Also have you ever tried to read instructions for use of other items that are written in five different languages?

Quote:
Place bracket “A” into hole “B” and connect screw #2 to nut #7 while holding in your left hand and turning counter clockwise with one foot in the air. Then assemble lever arm “D” with cotter pin connecting both items to bracket “A”.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,856,079 times
My friend gave me this benign looking vampire game to play with the shorties. They lost me on the instructions for side one. Side two is advanced. It's going in the filing cabinet with the great big circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics