Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;25221855]Mornin’ all!

Today's Question(s):
What song makes you stop what you are doing and pay attention to nothing else when you hear it? Oh so many. The Church down the street plays Ode To Joy every day at noon. Red Barchetta by Rush. (I played it when I first drove my car home, in first and second gear in traffic.) I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry (It reminds me of the shorties) Time and a Word by Yes. I Dreamed Last Night Justin Hayward. (It's our song.) Valerie by the Monkees. (Fond memories of my youth.) She Came in Through the Bathroom window Beatles. (Youth again but my friend is very sick now) I could go on and on.

What is it about that song that you like so much? The memories they spark.

Just for Fun:
Does your toilet paper roll over the top, or down the back? One over the top and two rest sideways on a bar. Love those, they're so easy to change.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever seen the aurora borealis/australis? Yes. Once when I was around 10 and very unusual where we lived. Once in Wisconsin. It was magic. It looked like liquid light flowing through the sky with mostly red and green colors. Every one went to bed but I watched it until the wee hours of the morning.

Today in History:
2011 Phoenix, Arizona is hit by a dust storm, also known as a haboob
1994 Comet Shoemaker-Levy collides with Jupiter
1986 Videotapes released showing Titanic's sunken remains
1972 200,000 attend Mount Pocono rock festival in Pennsylvania
1962 Minn Twins Bob Allison and Harmon Killebrew hit grand slams in 1st inn and Harmon Killebrew connect in a club-record, 11-run 1st inning
1940 1st successful helicopter flight, Stratford, Connecticut
1907 Florenz Ziegfeld's "Follies of 1907," premieres in New York City
1853 Completion of Grand Trunk Line, trains begin running over 1st North American railroad between Portland, Maine and Montreal

Today’s Word:
fisc
Pronunciation: (fisk)
Meaning: noun: A state treasury; exchequer.
Etymology: From French fisc (tax office), from Latin fiscus (treasury, purse). Earliest documented use: 1598.
Usage: "Houses of worship are free to open schools, but they are expected to pay for them with privately raised funds. None are given access to the public fisc." Rob Boston; Amendment Anxiety; Church & State (Washington, DC); Feb 2012.

Today is:
International Mandela Day
National Caviar Day
(Not much going on today...sorry)

Quote of the Day:
“When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.” -Charles Evans Hughes

Have a great day everyone! Thank you. It's hot again here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Today's Question(s):
What song makes you stop what you are doing and pay attention to nothing else when you hear it?
None that I can think of.

Just for Fun:
Does your toilet paper roll over the top, or down the back?
OTT

Bonus Question:
Have you ever seen the aurora borealis/australis?
Nope.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Today's Question(s):

What song makes you stop what you are doing and pay attention to nothing else when you hear it?
"Don't Worry be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin.

What is it about that song that you like so much?

Just for Fun:

Top.

Bonus Question:

No.

Wednesday, hump day, "Don't Worry be Happy", enjoy it...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,325,215 times
Hello!

Today's Question(s):
What song makes you stop what you are doing and pay attention to nothing else when you hear it? Many songs, not just one...

Just for Fun:
Does your toilet paper roll over the top, or down the back? Over the top

Bonus Question:
Have you ever seen the aurora borealis/australis? No

Have a nice day!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
Today's Question(s):

Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are Lyrics on Screen [+ DOWNLOAD] - YouTube

It reminds me of Nancy.

Just for Fun:

Bonus Question:
A long time ago when on a racing trip to Wisconsin.

Today in History:
1962 Minn Twins Bob Allison and Harmon Killebrew hit grand slams in 1st inn and Harmon Killebrew connect in a club-record, 11-run 1st inning
1853 Completion of Grand Trunk Line, trains begin running over 1st North American railroad between Portland, Maine and Montreal

Today’s Word:
fisc
Etymology: From French fisc (tax office), from Latin fiscus (treasury, purse). Earliest documented use: 1598.
Usage: "Houses of worship are free to open schools, but they are expected to pay for them with privately raised funds. None are given access to the public fisc." Rob Boston; Amendment Anxiety; Church & State (Washington, DC); Feb 2012.

Today is:
International Mandela Day
National Caviar Day
(Not much going on today...sorry)

Quote of the Day:
“When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free.” -Charles Evans Hughes

Have a great day everyone! [/quote]

Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Mornin’ all!

Today's Question(s):
What song makes you stop what you are doing and pay attention to nothing else when you hear it? Too many to name! Any song from my childhood/teen years.

What is it about that song that you like so much? usually they are the only songs that I remember the words to!

Just for Fun:
Does your toilet paper roll over the top, or down the back? I don't pay attention! Probably over the top.

Bonus Question:

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
fisc

Today is:
International Mandela Day He's 94 years young!
National Caviar Day
(Not much going on to day...sorry)

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day everyone!

Have an awesome day as well!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Today's Question(s):
Lots of songs make me turn up the volume.
I like pop up to the 90s and classic rock best because I came of age listening to some of these.

Just for Fun:
Over the top

Bonus Question:
Not yet

Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today's Question(s):
What song makes you stop what you are doing and pay attention to nothing else when you hear it? So many songs...... I can't choose just one. It could be the melody or it could be the lyrics remind me of something. I can't imagine my life without music.

Just for Fun:
Does your toilet paper roll over the top, or down the back? Over the top

Bonus Question:
Have you ever seen the aurora borealis/australis? No, though I would love to. My youngest sister once got her kids up in the middle of the night to see it. She is now under strict instructions to call & wake me up if she ever sees it again..... No matter what time!

Hope you are all enjoying your day!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:14 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Today's Question(s):

Do I really need to say

Yes

Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 PM

280 posts, read 572,361 times
Mornin’ all! Morning PatsCats, thx for the days queries

Today's Question(s):
None really even though I catch myself whistling to the commercial (Boost mobile I think????) that plays the song "I Need A Dollar" by Aloe Blacc.

Aloe Blacc - I Need A Dollar - Official Video HQ - YouTube

Good song, strong lyrics. Funny commercial.

Just for Fun:
None, too lazy/busy/cheap to replace the spool the cat broke, so now the important papers sit on the counter.

Bonus Question:
Once, was driving north on I-5 coming into Olympia,WA and I can see a greenish tint way off northward on the horizon. I called a friend of mine who lives up in Blaine if he could see them and he said they were bright and almost overhead. I monitor Spaceweather.com on a daily basis for astronomical happenings including strong auroral swings.

Last edited by LVNVTrucker; 07-18-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics