Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

Today's Question(s):

What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home? Liver and onions and Mom made this horrid bbq tuna.

What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for? Not much $$ for fancy stuff and Mom was a pretty boring cook so now I can enjoy seafood and anything asian.

Just for Fun:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when? Blew bubbles and drew on the sidewalk with my grands. June!

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile? Actaully an email this morning.

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Good morning all -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin’ all! And good day, or night, to friends in different time zones.

At this moment, I've got a beautiful sunrise over my shoulder, and yet, I can hear thunder rumbling to the north, over the lake. Weather is a very interesting thing.

Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home?
Trust me, you don't want to know. Unhealthy sums it up well.

Quote:
What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for?
Whole grains and fresh vegetables. It's been part of my diet almost all of my adult life.

Just for Fun:

Quote:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when?
N/A

Bonus Question:

Quote:
What was the last thing that made you smile?
Last night. A stranger I met last week at the Mindy Smith concert took a picture of Mindy and I and she sent it to me last night. It came out great and I was so thrilled to get it. Due to past similar experiences I gave up on getting it but she came through.

Have a great day, everyone!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:44 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,478,782 times
Happy Hump Day everyone!

Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home? meatloaf, chop suey, stew, any kind of meat with fat, dark meat chicken. I didn't like any of these foods!

What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for? junk foods. I did not get those at home. Pizza, tacos, candy.

Just for Fun:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when? over 4th of July weekend when I had my grandson. We ran around in the park and played in the baby pool.

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile? I chatted with an old friend online last night.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,044,104 times
Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home? OMG it's been like 35 years since I lived 'at home' I think I blocked out the nasty dishes, though must say my mom and dad didn't force me to eat stuff I thought was gross. Do remember my mom serving liver one time and I told her it was nasty; she said I should be grateful I had food because there were starving kids in Ethiopia - I suggested she mail it to them

Just for Fun:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when?

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile? A new baby goat

Quote of the Day:
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thanks for QOTD, PatsCats and have a great day y'all.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home?

By "home" do you mean the state or by "home" do you mean the parent's house?

parent's house - tomato soup, beets (hate 'em), fried noodles, fish sticks (UGH), ham (ugh)
home state - hard rolls, sauerbraten,

What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for?

carrot cake

Just for Fun:

Have no idea since I don't have kids myself and I never took care of other people's kids it would be when I was a child and that was a loooooong time ago.

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile?

Something funny said by our Chief of Police at a lecture I attended yesterday.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,002 times
Good morning all from a cloudy, but warm England.

Now then, foods I didn't grow up with that I enjoy now, would be anything American. We didn't have pizzas, burgers, yogurt, or Coca-Cola. I remember reading a Superman comic, and someone mentioned going for a 'coke'. I asked my Father what it was. He didn't know either!

The last child like, fun thing I did was probably making paper planes for Judy's grandson.

The last thing to make me smile was combing my hair this morning. I'm always happy to admire myself!!

It's the birthday of Louise Brown, the world's first test tube baby huh? This world famous medical development was achieved at the hospital in my home town Oldham!!

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:08 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,657 times
Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home? A raw cabbage salad that Mom made........I wish I had the recipe.

What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for? Taco salad

Just for Fun:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when? Played tag with my 3 year old nephew.....a couple of weeks ago.

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile? Hubby

Today in History:
2011 Cyclist Alberto Contador wins the 2010 Tour de France while seven-time winner of the event, Lance Armstrong, makes his final appearance
1992 Army refused to overturn 127 year old conviction against Dr. Mudd
1985 U.S. performs nuclear Test at Nevada Test Site
1978 John Lydon forms rock group Public Image Ltd
1969 Edward Kennedy pleads guilty to leaving scene of an accident a week after the Chappaquiddick car accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne
1956 Italian liner Andrea Doria sinks after colliding with the Stockholm
1946 1st bikini is shown at a Paris fashion show
1933 1st Dutch live radio concert: Duke Ellington
1922 AT&T begins broadcasting on WBAY (NYC-later WEAF, WNBC, WRCA and WFAN)
1909 France's Louis Bleriot, makes 1st airplane flight across English Channel
1868 U.S. Congress forms Wyoming Territory (Dakota, Utah and Idaho)

Today’s Word:
agee or ajee
Pronunciation: (uh-JEE)
Meaning: adverb: To one side; awry.
Etymology: From Scottish English dialect, from a- (to, toward) + gee (a command to a horse to move to one side). Earliest documented use: before 1805.
Usage: "The knaves go all agee when both my lord and myself have our backs turned."
Charlotte M. Yonge; Grisly Grisell; Macmillan; 1893.

Today is:
Carousel, or Merry-go-Round Day
Thread the Needle Day I have trouble with this now that I can't see as well.
National Hot Fudge Sundae Day
The Birthday of Loiuse Brown (1978), First Test Tube Baby

Quote of the Day:
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway~

Old 07-25-2012, 07:13 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
Quote:
[b]Mornin’ all! And good day, or night, to friends in different time zones.

At this moment, I've got a beautiful sunrise over my shoulder, and yet, I can hear thunder rumbling to the north, over the lake. Weather is a very interesting thing.

Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home? It's been about 38 years or so ...........hmm..............beef stew is one dish that comes to mind....Yuck!!

What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for? Nothing that I can think of at the moment...brain is not working properly because I only got 3.5 hour sleep last night.

Just for Fun:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when? Hmm.........it's been quite awhile.

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile? Two dogs playing in the park.

Today in History:
2011 Cyclist Alberto Contador wins the 2010 Tour de France while seven-time winner of the event, Lance Armstrong, makes his final appearance
1992 Army refused to overturn 127 year old conviction against Dr. Mudd
1985 U.S. performs nuclear Test at Nevada Test Site
1978 John Lydon forms rock group Public Image Ltd
1969 Edward Kennedy pleads guilty to leaving scene of an accident a week after the Chappaquiddick car accident that killed Mary Jo Kopechne
1956 Italian liner Andrea Doria sinks after colliding with the Stockholm
1946 1st bikini is shown at a Paris fashion show
1933 1st Dutch live radio concert: Duke Ellington
1922 AT&T begins broadcasting on WBAY (NYC-later WEAF, WNBC, WRCA and WFAN)
1909 France's Louis Bleriot, makes 1st airplane flight across English Channel
1868 U.S. Congress forms Wyoming Territory (Dakota, Utah and Idaho)

Today’s Word:
agee or ajee
Etymology: From Scottish English dialect, from a- (to, toward) + gee (a command to a horse to move to one side). Earliest documented use: before 1805.
Usage: "The knaves go all agee when both my lord and myself have our backs turned."
Charlotte M. Yonge; Grisly Grisell; Macmillan; 1893.

Today is:
Carousel, or Merry-go-Round Day
Thread the Needle Day
National Hot Fudge Sundae Day
The Birthday of Loiuse Brown (1978), First Test Tube Baby

Quote of the Day:

Happy Hump Day To All!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Last childlike thing I did was at work recently....we were back by the sink area of my dept and started singing 'Crazy' ....only changing the words to 'crazy, for working here at walmart deli....'
Hot fudge sundaes sound good ANY day of the year, thanks for sharing!!!
Happy Wednesday everyone....

Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
I'm glad to have survived the horrible storm we had yesterday morning. My office was without power for over 12 hours, so that's why I was not on C-D yesterday. My neighborhood took a hit, with a lot of tree damage and some roofs damaged, but my house is okay. There are a lot of wires down on the ground, but, amazingly, my side of the street has not lost power. One of my co-workers who lives in the town next to mine is still without power (since 7 a.m. yesterday), and we're supposed to break another record-high temperature today -- 101 degrees expected this afternoon.

Today's Question(s):
What foods did you grow up with that you haven't eaten since you left home? The only thing I can think of that my mom prepared once in a while and I haven't had since I was a kid is . . . drum roll . . . . . pickled pigs' feet.

What foods did you not grow up with that you have to make up lost time for? Junk food. My mom didn't allow junk food in the house. Wise mom.

Just for Fun:
What was the last child-like fun thing you did (like blow bubbles, play with Silly Putty, play hopscotch, etc...), and when? Played out in the rain this morning. Well, I didn't play long, but it was raining lightly when I left for work, so I just walked around the yard and reveled in the relatively cool, rainy morning. My hair likes rain water, so now it's all fluffy and curly.

Bonus Question:
What was the last thing that made you smile? A rainbow as I was driving to work this morning. I pulled my car over to take a photo, but it was already gone by the time I grabbed the camera and hopped out of the car. Maybe next time! Rainbows always make me smile.

Today’s Word:
agee or ajee
Charlotte M. Yonge; Grisly Grisell; Macmillan; 1893. Cool.

Today is:
Carousel, or Merry-go-Round Day I like merry-go-rounds.
Thread the Needle Day I don't like sewing by hand, but did a couple of button repairs last week. No needle and thread for me today, though.
National Hot Fudge Sundae Day One of my favorite desserts! Yay!
The Birthday of Loiuse Brown (1978), First Test Tube Baby ok

Happy hump day, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-25-2012 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics