Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

Peeve: Airlines,,,, can’t believe how badly the airlines treat you and then profit from you. This evening’s news tells about the multiple hundreds of millions in profit that the airline gained this past year. How about they now want to charge you for carry-on items above the cost of the original ticket price, it’s out of control and we the travelers are getting the short end of the issue. Talk with airline employees and you find that they are underpaid for their work (annually salary) and overworked in many cases, this includes pilots! It’s time the airline industry is overhauled so they can make a fair profit and customers can get back to good service at a fair price.

Spoiler
The term “come fly with me” is just another comment by a pickpocket who wants your money.
Good peeve, Aks. I haven't flown in several years, but dread having to pay all those extra fees next time I do need to fly somewhere. Heck, the baggage can end up costing more than the flight if you're going a short distance. I'd much rather drive several hundred miles in a day than to deal with airline crap anyway. Just getting to the Chicago airports from here takes hours and tons of hassle. Certainly not worth it for a short flight.

I'm amazed that the airlines have the gall to charge what they do for luggage and carry-ons. I suspect, though, that carry-ons are getting out of hand as people try to get around having to pay to check luggage, thus causing more problems with crowding in the cabin.

Remember when it used to be a pleasure, and even a thrill, to fly in an airplance?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
I never liked flying and consider it a necessary evil. I think people got wise and started traveling with carry ons because of all the lost luggage issues. We have large carry ons but they do fit in the over head bins. There are so many carry ons that there's little room for all of them so I think the airlines are trying to discourage people from using them by charging for them. Pretty soon we will have to live out of a back pack. It's a sign of the times in all industries. Working in health care is the same as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 12:47 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,226,551 times
My son and his gf had booked a flight last month to fly to Chicago this week. Due to unforeseen circumstances they had to cancel.

Did they get a refund? Um, no! Could they re-book their trip for a later date? No.

$550 down the drain. What a bunch of crooks!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
We flew Allegiant July 15th (uh, 16th) to Las Vegas. The date confusion arises from the fact that as we were lifting off (on the 15th) a turbine blade broke free, went into the engine and it basically exploded. The shortest flight I've ever been on....

But back to the peeve. I accepted all the BS charges as part of flying. We sent the majority of our clothes UPS (and they screwed that up) instead of checking bags. Everything was fine charges-wise until we got to the car rental. Seems Allegiant failed to add the almost $400 in taxes in their quote and if it was anywhere on the web page I never saw it, and I read their entire list of expected charges.

Needless to say our flight home will be our last on Allegiant Airlines, ever. Screw me, scr3w you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics