Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:14 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,007,300 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:
Ever been involved in a fender bender or known someone who was? What happened?

I have been in a few minor ones and one doozy of an accident. I was heading down the road when a 16 year old kid who had just gotten his license a couple weeks earlier blew thru a red flashing light. Well he did not quite make it all the way thru as I was also occupying the intersection. He t-boned me right in drivers side door of my truck. To this day I do not know how all three kids in that car walked away unhurt. The engine was pushed all the way back to the front seat of the car. His car was beyond totalled. My truck on the other hand was only just totalled.

What's your best advice to avoid one?
Drive a bulldozer. Might not avoid being in an accident, but it is fairly safe to say who will be coming out on the winning side.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever been driving or riding when a vehicle experienced "mechanical failure?"
I was driving down the road when my engine backfired and died. Could not get the car restarted so I called my dad. My dad knew next to nothing about cars but was light years ahead of most mechanics when it came to trouble shooting electrical problems. After a few minutes under the hood he told me I needed a new condenser. I looked at him with my best "you got to be kidding" look and proceeded to tell him there was nothing wrong with the condenser as I had changed it less than a year ago. My dad said "walk then" and left. I walk a couple blocks to a parts store and bought a new condenser (it cost about a dollar) and installed it. The car started right up.

Tell us what went wrong on at least one occasion.

Guess I should have read the above question a little closer. See above.

Foodie Question:
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie?
Burgers, fries, sodas, water, stinky cheese, chips, cookies, sandwhiches, fruits, and many other things. However I will say I have yet to ever eat escargot while in the car or at a movie.

Just for fun:
How are you with directions or understanding which way is north, south, east and west?
It's a cinch!
I get by.
I'm lucky to know which way is up.
I just hate it when I am 3,000 miles from anywhere I may have ever called home and the person giving me directions says to turn North or drive South or something will be on the West side of the street. If I have no clue where I am, how would I know which direction North is. Up here in Alaska directions often sound like this...Drive out the highway till you come to a red car that is sitting upside down in the ditch. Turn left just past that.

Oh...I guess I should actually answer the question...I get by.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Well, my last accident was about 12 years ago, some kid ran a red and slammed into the side of my truck.
Last thing I ate while driving was a donut.
And heres to chili dogs!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,701,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hello and welcome to the Thursday QotD. All of today's Qs are auto related. Start your engines!

Today's Question:
Ever been involved in a fender bender or known someone who was? Yes What happened? I was a few streets away from my house with my blinker on to make a turn when a NY driver decided he didn't want to wait for me or the traffic coming and he tried to go around me on the left just as I am beginning to turn!

What's your best advice to avoid one? Walk if ya can.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever been driving or riding when a vehicle experienced "mechanical failure?" Yes

Tell us what went wrong on at least one occasion.Just as I was crossing a 4 way intersection the a/c belt broke and the unit seized up which caused it to smoke. This happened years ago when I had a 73 Buick Regal.

Foodie Question:
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie? Water,orangeade,fries,popcorn.

Just for fun:
How are you with directions or understanding which way is north, south, east and west? LOL!
It's a cinch!
I get by.

Today in History:
1524 James I became king of Scotland
1656 Dutch painter Rembrandt declared bankruptcy
1775 1st Postmaster General: Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania took office
1788 Sydney, Australia settled by British colonists
1835 1st sugar cane planting began in Hawaii
1847 New Hampshire inventor Moses Farmer built a miniature train with an electro-magnetic locomotive
1856 Playwright George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) born in Dublin, Ireland. He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize in Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938). The Oscar was for My Fair Lady which was based on his play called Pygmalion that was later turned into a musical that won best picture Oscar in 1964.
1983 Light flashes seen on Jupiter moon Io

Today’s Word:
dingleberry [ding-guhl-ber-ee] noun
Slang . a small clot of dung, as clinging to the hindquarters of an animal
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Today Is:
Chili Dog Day
Coffee Milkshake Day
One Voice - day for global peace

Only 3 holidays? In that case . . .
More Chart Toppers for 26th July:
1951 I Wanna Play House with You - Eddy Arnold
1959 The Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
1967 Windy - The Association - Gonna get windy today when the storm rolls through.
1975 One of These Nights - Eagles
1983 Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
1991 Everything I Do I Do It for You - Bryan Adams

A Picture for Today:
And we find ourselves back at the drive-in. I'll have a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a chocolate malt. What are you having? French Fries and a root beer float.

This picture was taken in Seattle by Joe Mabel and made freely available on Wikipedia.

Drive safely now!

Have a good day everyone.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,280,332 times
Today's Question:
Ever been involved in a fender bender or known someone who was? What happened? Yes, I was sitting at a stop sign when a man decided he needed to back up, of course I couldn't get out of the way so he backed into the truck that I was driving. There were no injuries and very little damage to the 1 ton truck that I was driving. His company took care of the minor damages. I was very lucky to not be in one of our new vehicles.

What's your best advice to avoid one? Stay off the roads....people are crazy out there!!!

Bonus Question:
Have you ever been driving or riding when a vehicle experienced "mechanical failure?" Yes

Tell us what went wrong on at least one occasion. The accelerator stuck.....I was lucky enough to be on a rural road with no traffic and I finally got the car stopped.

Foodie Question:
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie? Most of the time I dont' eat in the car.......I usually have a sweet tea if I'm out near a McDonalds. I have eaten various fast food meals in the past.

Just for fun:
How are you with directions or understanding which way is north, south, east and west?
It's a cinch! For the most part I'm pretty good with this.....but I can be fooled once in awhile.
I get by.

Today in History:
1524 James I became king of Scotland
1656 Dutch painter Rembrandt declared bankruptcy
1775 1st Postmaster General: Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania took office
1788 Sydney, Australia settled by British colonists
1835 1st sugar cane planting began in Hawaii
1847 New Hampshire inventor Moses Farmer built a miniature train with an electro-magnetic locomotive
1856 Playwright George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) born in Dublin, Ireland. He is the only person to have been awarded both a Nobel Prize in Literature (1925) and an Oscar (1938). The Oscar was for My Fair Lady which was based on his play called Pygmalion that was later turned into a musical that won best picture Oscar in 1964.
1983 Light flashes seen on Jupiter moon Io

Today’s Word:
Sorry, couldn't resist. Cows have them all the time.....gross!!!!

Today Is:
Chili Dog Day
Coffee Milkshake Day

1951 I Wanna Play House with You - Eddy Arnold
1959 The Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton
1967 Windy - The Association
1975 One of These Nights - Eagles
1983 Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
1991 Everything I Do I Do It for You - Bryan Adams

A Picture for Today:
And we find ourselves back at the drive-in. I'll have a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a chocolate malt. What are you having?

This picture was taken in Seattle by Joe Mabel and made freely available on Wikipedia.

Drive safely now!

Happy B-day to my best friend.....she's older than me now!!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Hello and welcome to the Thursday QotD. All of today's Qs are auto related. Start your engines!

Today's Question:

I had to really think about this one. The last "fender bender" was 35 years ago. I was looking for an address and I tapped into a van. My car at the time had minor damage and the van had none.

Best way to avoid one is to keep your eyes on the road. That little incident taught me a lesson and I never repeated that minor mistake.

Bonus Question:

Quote:
Have you ever been driving or riding when a vehicle experienced "mechanical failure?"

My catalytic converter on my then 2.5 year old 2003 Chevrolet Impala went out and I barely made it up a mountain. It was scary because it happened at night.

Foodie Question:

Quote:
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie?
Water only in my car and it's very rare that I eat and drive. However I did have a doughnut while driving recently. It will never be more than that or something like crackers.

Just for fun:

Quote:
It's a cinch!
I get by.
I have a full understanding and I'll assume it's okay that I can say that while looking for a east, west, north, or south sign. I'm great with maps and figuring out how not to get lost, usually anyway, LOL.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,532 times
Today's Question:
A few actually. Many years ago a kid totaled my car when he didn't yield. Both my daughters were in the car, Whitney was not yet two years. There was glass all around her car seat, but not a scratch on her.
Another time I was at a friend's house. She shares the house with her mom who was then 85. We were out in the back when there was a loud crash..... Mom had backed out of the garage and kept backing.... right into my car. It was my first new car in many years and I'd only had it two weeks.
Then once at the grocery store I was driving out slowly when someone backed into me. I was all ready to yell at the guy when out of the car came this old, old man. All I could think was this poor man is going to lose his license on this one.

No idea since I don't even have to be in or even near my car to have a fender bender!

Bonus Question:
Again, a few times. Once I was on my way to Dartmouth and the car died on the interstate. I walked a ways and thought I'd have to climb a fence to get to a parallel road. Luckily a nice woman and her son came along and got me some help.
Oh, and once coming home from the beach in Maine at 1AM, but that's another story.....

Foodie Question:
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie? Usually just coffee or iced tea while driving. I haven't been to a drive-in restaurant or movie in a long, long time.

Just for fun:
It's a cinch!
I get by.
I'm lucky to know which way is up. It's a good thing I think getting lost is an adventure!

Off to pick up my younger granddaughter. Have a great day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 07-26-2012 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,544,451 times
Today's Question:
Ever been involved in a fender bender or known someone who was? Yup

What happened? Mine was many years ago. I was going around a curve that I've been around many many times, my mind was on something else and I cut the corner too much, putting me in a position that the sun caught me right in the eye...crunch!!!! Another car didn't have time to get out of my way.
I still have scars from another one so I'll let that one go.

What's your best advice to avoid one? Do your misc thinking while out of the driver seat so you can pay attention to the road.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been driving or riding when a vehicle experienced "mechanical failure?" Sure!

Tell us what went wrong on at least one occasion. Alternator

Foodie Question:
Eating and driving-usually a non-messy hamburger or chicken nuggets.
Drive-ins are usually good for a big juicy burger
Movies-must have popcorn

Just for fun:
It's a cinch! My nickname with the bikers is GPS
I get by.

I'm better at it if the sun is out...so when in doubt I can double check myself.

Today’s Word:
Sorry, couldn't resist. hahahahahahaha!

1991 Everything I Do I Do It for You - Bryan Adams I love this song!

Have a great day everyone!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
Today's Question:

Yes...rear-ended.. Delivering a cake to my parents wedding anniversary. The cake was fine. I had to go to the hospital..

Umm - Stay away from morons.. But hey, they're all over the roads.. Hard to avoid, I tell ya!

Bonus Question:

Yes...

Lost my brakes......

Foodie Question:

Water... I don't eat and drive.....

Just for fun:
It's a cinch!
I get by. If All Fails - I use my GPS..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:35 AM

1,738 posts, read 768,261 times
Today's Question:
Ever been involved in a fender bender or known someone who was? What happened? ~ Yes, several years ago. I will try to make it short. I was in the middle (turning lane), stopped with my blinker on to turn, and someone decided to ignore the fact of all those things. She drove in the turning lane and hit me from behind. Funny thing I remember about it was she told the police officer that her daughter keeps telling she needed to stop driving because of all the accidents she is in. My word.

What's your best advice to avoid one? ~ Be cautious and observant when driving.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever been driving or riding when a vehicle experienced "mechanical failure?" ~ Sure did

Tell us what went wrong on at least one occasion. ~ I was driving getting ready to turn and the car just stopped. It started back up and didn't happened again. Might have been a "sign" or warning of what was to happen about a year later (most recent car issue that has been fixed).

Foodie Question:
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie? ~ Too many to list

Just for fun:
It's a cinch!
I get by.
I'm lucky to know which way is up. ~HA HA HA...oh my word.... DEFINITELY this one.

Last edited by HelloWorldItsMe; 07-26-2012 at 06:46 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
What are some of the things you have eaten or had to drink while driving or riding in a car or sitting at a drive-in restaurant or movie? nothing too out of the ordinary

How are you with directions or understanding which way is north, south, east and west? I'm good knowing where I am - even if it's somewhere new - but not as good knowing all the street names if I'm directing someone else.
It's a cinch!
I get by.

Today Is:
Chili Dog Day
Coffee Milkshake Day I could go for one of these!

A Picture for Today:
And we find ourselves back at the drive-in. I'll have a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a chocolate malt. What are you having? Same here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics