Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times

Advertisements

Too many people put off something that brings them joy just because they haven't thought about it, don't have it on their schedule, didn't know it was coming or are too rigid to depart from their routine.

I got to thinking one day about all those people on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible.

How many women out there will eat at home because their husband didn't suggest going out to dinner until after something had been thawed? Does the word "refrigeration" mean nothing to you?

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said , "How about going to lunch in a half hour?" She would gas up and stammer, "I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is dirty. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast, It looks like rain" And my personal favorite: "It's Monday." She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.

Because Americans cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our headaches.. We live on a sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get Steve toilet-trained. We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of "I'm going to," "I plan on," and "Someday, when things ar e settled down a bit."

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Rollerblades and skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. It's just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy.

Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to...not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting?

Make sure you read this to the end; you will understand why I sent this to you.

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or listened to the rain lapping on the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night? Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask "How are you?" Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores running through your head? Ever told your child, "We'll do it tomorrow." And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die? Just call to say "Hi"?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift....Thrown away.... Life is not a race. Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

It's National Friendship and FAMILY WEEK Show your friends how much you care. Send this to everyone you consider a FRIEND. If it comes back to you, then you'll know you have a circle of friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Thanks Brian..To show how much I care..I sent this to my two sisters, two brothers ,all 4 of my children and to several special people in my address book..Life is way too short to put off something that brings real happiness and joy...Just do it

Old 10-02-2007, 08:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Thanks Brian..To show how much I care..I sent this to my two sisters, two brothers ,all 4 of my children and to several special people in my address book..Life is way too short to put off something that brings real happiness and joy...Just do it
I like that last line and i hope you don't mind if i use it once in a awhile
Have a good night

Brian

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
BrianG - good to repeat and share this message that's been chained via emails a few hundreds of times over past years... Seriously, there is an overall good message to it.

But, might be good to also post it as a quote, w/ some source [for example: http://www.joke-archives.com/inspire/nationalfriendshipweek.html] (broken link) so that it doesn't appear, for instance, that you yourself can't "count the times I called my sister and said, "How about going to lunch in a half hour?...""

Oh, and not to sound like too much of a cynic... but, if a person actually did as indicated herein, what would the consequences of such actions then be? Overweight and potential health problems from eating out every meal, getting that 3-dipped ice cream cone, etc? Taking accountability of actions, while still enjoying the fruits of life,,, balancing both is important.

Yea, there are days when I will indeed put down my report I'm researching for work, and go play w/ the critters - yet can't live life w/ thinking that every next hour I'm gonna hit an iceberg, ya know? For some reason, I really don't think my bossman would be all too understanding if I stated that reason why report wasn't done was that played all evening and night w/ the boys and on CDF cause didn't know if the next moment an asteroid would pulverize my humble home, so we just partied and played, all night long...

Ok,,, I'm a curmudgeon, with a twisted sense of humour... sorry...

ps: btw, the above is wrote by a goofy fellow that during college decided during one semester that every week was "spring break" week...

Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
I already know this.....

I have always stopped to smell the roses sometimes,I was outside last night looking at the stars,taking in the moment.I do that constantly ,looking around,into my own thoughts.

As far as doing what ever I want to,well there were times when financially I couldn't,but I was always free spirited anyway.Now,my life is cake,phfftt! for 6 months I haven't worked,been going on vacations when ever I want to,sleeping in late everyday,playing guitar and stuff.I could book a trip to Europe tommorrow if I wanted to,which I wouldn't mind but I don't want to be too stupid with money or I'll burn it away.I actually wouldn't mind going back to work,lazing around gets a little too old after a while...pfhhtt who am I kidding it's great not having to work but I do need a income coming in again at some point,but no more financial stress!

BTW,I don't talk about God too much on the forum,but I thank God often for life,I mean just being alive with friends and family and being normal,well ok maybe I'm not that normal lol!,because life is a highway and I'm gonna ride it all night (and day) long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics