Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times

Advertisements

I've always hated going to the dentist and they'd have to gas me just to clean my teeth. Found an awesome dentist in the city with the best dental assistants I've ever found. She would just rub my cheek and say soothing things in Spanish like I was a little girl But I'll tell ya, didn't need the gas anymore just for routine dental work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
I only have three fillings and when I visit the dentist he barely scrapes anything off of my teeth. It seems the tea we drink every day keeps the tartar from forming. It's time to brush Howies' teeth again.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Tell us your feelings, because the POTD is;

Visiting the dentist.
I'll bet even dentists hate going to the dentist! I go twice a year for checkups and cleaning, which isn't bad. I always take the first appointment of the day, and that way I don't ever hear the drill and sucky thing being used on someone else.

I have three crowns, and unfortunately had to take whatever times were available for those six appointments. I have a big fear of gagging, and when I have to sit still for the dentist to do plaster impressions I just about have a heart attack from the stress. Fortunately, I haven't needed one for about 5 years. Hopefully will never need more.

Good peeve, Jezer.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
I've always hated going to the dentist and they'd have to gas me just to clean my teeth. Found an awesome dentist in the city with the best dental assistants I've ever found. She would just rub my cheek and say soothing things in Spanish like I was a little girl But I'll tell ya, didn't need the gas anymore just for routine dental work.
Hey good idea, next time I see the dental assistant I'll ask her to rub my, uh, cheeks, maybe it would take my mind off the dental work.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I don't mind going to the dentist. They have some great looking dental assistants where I go that clean your teeth and they are very friendly and very gentle and they have a large screen TV overhead to watch while they work on you. And then the dentist comes in and pokes around and tells you you need a cavity filled, a crown, a bridge and says your insurance will cove about 80% of it, neat huh. Then they make another appointment for you and they give you a goody bag to take home too.
What's in the goody bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Recently, I went to the dentist on account of an ache. I thought it might be the first cavity I've had in nearly 40 years--but it wasn't. The dentist said I should make an appointment with a periodontist...

This guy had me open my mouth, and in less than three seconds he pronounced his verdict: gum disease. And not in the initial stages, either. The peculiar thing is that my health care provider listed a price for the proposed surgery (surgery is what they do for gum disease) that was less than half of what I was led to expect. And the periodontist never contacted me to schedule an appointment.

Then I looked up gum disease, and who would've imagined? I haven't got the symptoms! You don't suppose he just wanted to make some money off me, do you?

You might say I felt more than a little peeved.
I've discovered that's the norm here in Florida. There's a dentist on every block and I've done my own investigating between dentists. Different stories between three dentists but they all want to replace fillings with crowns and/or bridges and just for the heck of it, do a few root canals. I don't know what my next move will be and the sad part is that all three of those dentists are on the ADA list. I also learned that all the dentists that accept "discount" dental insurance such as Safeguard charge much more for everything and you end up with your part more than you would have paid a different dentist using no insurance at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
I know where you are but asking anyway. Do you speak Spanish? If not, she could be saying anything while rubbing your cheek! But that's okay as long as it's soothing!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
I have two words for you:

Nitrous Oxide!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times

Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I have no problem with having dental work done. My dentist is very painless.
What I hate is that they always present me with "a plan" for several thousand dollars worth of work, which I supposedly need, like replacing perfectly good crowns just because they are old.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
I get my teeth cleaned every three months so a visit to the dentist doesn't faze me--unless I'm having work done that will require an anesthetic. Gah, hate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics