U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,436,875 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all! Sorry I'm a little later than I like to be.

Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games?
If so, what do you play most often:
Board games?
Card games?
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?
Tabletop games (takes a whole tabletop to play it; Magic: The Gathering, Carcassone, etc.)

What is your favorite?

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go?

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?"
Or have you never seen it?

Today in History:
2011 Snow on New Zealand's North and South Islands disrupts power supplies, causes road closures and closure of the Wellington International Airport
1994 Terrorist, Carlos the Jackal, captured in Khartoum, Sudan
1989 U.S. Venus probe Magellan launched from Space shuttle
1974 Longest team (6) trampoline bouncing marathon (1,248 hours (52 days))
1969 Woodstock Music and Art Fair opens in New York State (Max Yasgur's Dairy Farm)
1952 9" of rain fall creates a 20' wave in Lynmouth, England killing 34
1939 "Wizard of Oz" premieres at Grauman's Chinese Theater, Hollywood
1870 Transcontinental Railway actually completed in Colorado
1748 United Lutheran Church of U.S. organized
1620 Mayflower sets sail from Southampton with 102 Pilgrims
1548 Mary queen of Scotland (6) arrives in France

Today’s Word:
ne plus ultra
Pronunciation: (NE ploos OOL-trah, NEE/NAY pluhs uhl-truh)
Meaning: noun: The ultimate or the perfect example of something.
Etymology: From Latin, literally, not further beyond. Earliest documented use: 1637.
Notes: It's said that the Pillars of Hercules at the entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar had this Latin phrase inscribed. It served as a warning to sailors not to go beyond the limit of the known world. The national motto of Spain, on the other hand, is "Plus ultra".
Usage: "The greatest car in the world, the automotive ne plus ultra."
Jonathan Carroll; The Ghost in Love; Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 2008.

Today is:
Best Friends Day
Chauvin Day
National Medical Dosimetrist Day
National Relaxation Day
Lemon Meringue Pie Day

Quote of the Day:
Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers. ~Dave Barry~

Have a great day everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 AM

6,675 posts, read 6,812,754 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games?
Board games?
Card games?
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?
Tabletop games (takes a whole tabletop to play it; Magic: The Gathering, Carcassone, etc.)
I mainly play card games

What is your favorite?
Cribbage

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go?
I am a creature of habit. I usually sit in the same seats.

Bonus Question:
I have seen it many many many many times. The first several times I watched it on a black & white tv. It was not until several years later that I got to see it in color.

Today is:
National Relaxation Day Me thinks I will take advantage of this day.

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 08-15-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM

16,502 posts, read 14,074,079 times
Today's Question(s): Yayyyyy! No stinkin' underlining! Thanks, PatsCats! Happy Wednesday everybody! The turkeys will be here soon! I need to buy more black pepper to put on it!
Today I need to check to make sure the turkey baster is in the drawer....if it's not I will use a big spoon. Does everyone baste the bird while it's roasting? I never tie the legs against the turkey, either.....does anyone here do that? I can't wait! I'm starved!

Are you fond of games?
~ Yes I am!

Board games?
~ Rarely....

Card games?
~ Yes, on the computer mostly. I have tons of great card game software!

Dice/domino games?
~ Yahtzee, once in a great while.

Role-playing games?
~ I love them! I play them every day! I've been up since 3 a.m. playing them, right up until I came here to do these questions! (Playing, "Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls" today....)

~ Never heard of them. I don't like the name, "tabletop games", either.

What is your favorite?
~ Turkey and stuffing and gravy sub!

Just for Fun:

~ When we go to the Chinese buffet we get the same table every time. Table #15.

Bonus Question:

~ I don't keep count of that.

~ Oh, don't be so bloody ridiculous, Pat! .......

Today is:

Lemon Meringue Pie Day ~ I love this! Eat the meringue and all that yummy lemon and throw the crust on the floor!

* Thanks, PatsCats! It was worth taking a break from my game to do these questions! They didn't suck! Lol! Great job! Everybody have a great day and evening, and thanks for keeping the Thanksgiving thread alive and active, ya bunch of turkeys! .....

Last edited by rainroosty; 08-15-2012 at 08:03 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 AM

14,004 posts, read 2,497,360 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? Yes!
Board games?Yes
Card games?Yes
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?

What is your favorite? City-Data games!

Just for Fun:
Never used public transpo.
Bonus Question:

Or have you never seen it? Love it....seen it about 25 times.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:43 AM

7,895 posts, read 9,357,161 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games?
Board games?
Card games? Poker, BlackJack, Etc....
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?

What is your favorite?

Just for Fun:

I like Change......

Bonus Question:

Many, Many Times... I live in Oz Country. I have followed the Yellow Brick Road and Seen Toto Flow pass my window on windy Days...And I'm surrounded by brainless scarecrows and heartleass idiot tinmen...and cowardly lions.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 AM

8,831 posts, read 10,481,370 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? eh, not so much
Board games? I used to like "Sorry" when I was a kid
Card games? years past, Hearts, Clubs, Go Fish, Uno, etc.
Dice/domino games? A little as a kid
Role-playing games?
Nah, just the occasional jigsaw puzzle
What is your favorite?
No favorites really

Just for Fun:
I've never even thought about sitting in the same seat, doesn't matter to me

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" many, many times

Today is:
Best Friends Day.........................................
Chauvin Day................................................:c onfused:
National Medical Dosimetrist Day..............
National Relaxation Day.............................not much of that today
Lemon Meringue Pie Day...........................yum!

Quote of the Day:
Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers. ~Dave Barry~

Last edited by Ilene Wright; 08-15-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM

39,016 posts, read 21,173,742 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? Yes
Board games?
Card games?
Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?

What is your favorite? Catch Phrase, Uno (card game)

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go? Restaurant and movies - I can sit wherever .... Mass transit - I have a few favorite seats up front that faces sideways ....

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" Probably a few times ... It's been years

Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM

8,178 posts, read 17,189,593 times
Good morning all!

Today's Question(s):

Are you fond of games? Sure

Board games?
Card games?

Dice/domino games?
Role-playing games?

What is your favorite? Monopoly for board games and Hearts, Spades or Hand and Foot for card games.

Just for Fun:

When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go? As long as my back isn't to the door, I'm good to go anywhere.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" I could probably recite it word for word.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 AM

41,382 posts, read 52,749,485 times
Today's Question(s):
Are you fond of games? Sometimes.
Board games? Monopoly.
Card games? Poker, solitaire, rummy, crazy 8's.
Dice/domino games? Craps, dominoes, chutes and ladders.
Role-playing games?
Tabletop games (takes a whole tabletop to play it; Magic: The Gathering, Carcassone, etc.) Ping pong, pool.

What is your favorite? Poker.

Just for Fun:
When you go to the movies, your favorite restaurant, ride public transporation, etc., do you try to sit in the same seat, or do you change it up every time you go? Whatever is available.

Bonus Question:
How many times have you seen "The Wizard of Oz?" Probably a dozen times.

Happy 'hump day', enjoy...

Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM

26,275 posts, read 7,108,517 times
Good afternoon all from a showery England. The weather here has resumed normal service....

Now then. Games. When I was a boy, I used to like playing Monopoly. Used to play on Sunday afternoons with my dad and sister. Nowadays, the only games I play are card games in Las Vegas.

I must admit when I go to the movies, I do tend to go to the back as far from the screen as possible. Probably the same, or close seats!!

This day in 1939 'The Wizard of Oz' premiered at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in LA huh? I have seen the film lots of times. The first time was in a cinema in my home town Oldham in about 1969. I saw it on a double bill with 'Tom Thumb'. I loved it. Judy Garland was such a great talent. I believe when the film opened in New York, Judy and Mickey Rooney performed live after each show. That would have been wonderful to see. I saw Mickey Rooney about 7 years ago in a little show he took round England with his wife. I met him after the show, along with a lot of other people in the theatre bar. I talked with him a little while. He was very old, and looked tired. But he stood there ages talking with his fans. As we talked, I looked into his face, and saw the history of Hollywood's golden age. For an old movie fan like me, it was a great pleasure to meet this great movie star.

Have a nice day everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics