Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:41 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

I'm itching to get started on the garden but don't want to wake the girls as it is around 6am as I type this- I'll post it later so that it reaches you on Saturday!

I've been looking through a whole big pile of photographs of things like Miss J when she was younger and of vacations we've taken.

Ever looked at a photo and wondered where or when it was taken? Ever wondered who that person was who was standing in the row behind you grinning at the camera?

Let us know your thoughts because the POTD is;

Puzzling over details of old photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 AM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
You're spot on with this peeve. We've been involved in genealogy for years and constantly are comming across old photos that have no information about them. Dates and names would've been so helpful. Hope people today are putting information with their pictures so future generations can identify and enjoy them.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You're spot on with this peeve. We've been involved in genealogy for years and constantly are comming across old photos that have no information about them. Dates and names would've been so helpful. Hope people today are putting information with their pictures so future generations can identify and enjoy them.
Um, I'm not.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:16 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,627,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I've got a whole box full of puzzling photos, well, I guess most of them I know who's who but there are some really old ones that I inherited over the years and I have no clue who the people are and if they are related. I actually love old photos and I've tried several times to organize the box but now it's overflowing again and quite a mess. I thought about scanning them all in to the computer so I can get rid of them but that would take forever because there is so many of them. I used to have a lot of them in albums but they just take up space and no one ever looks at them anyway. So, unless I get a burst of energy they'll probably just sit in the box forever and be handed down to my son eventually, then it will be his problem.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times

We have a a lot of old photos from my when he was stationed in England during WWII. He was a pilot so of course many of the photos are of planes, the base he was stationed at and of course the guys he flew with. We didn't know he had the treasure trove of history and of course non had and information on them.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
I inherited my grandmother's photos. Why me? Well, it's because I am the oldest grandchild and the one most likely to know who the folks are in the photos. When dad was on TDY (temporary duty) mother and I would head for east Texas and spend the time at my mother's mother's. So I know who a lot of the people are and even when someone asks a name they don't even recognize the name I spin out a story about the person who was "great aunt Pearl's second husband. Through the years I have labeled the pics so that I don't forget. As a result of this I have become over the years the family storyteller and memory keeper. I like the job.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,466 times
Default A picture is worth a thousand words, But not without the info on the back ! LOL

Photos with no info is my Mama's mortal enemy. Any time I send her pics without the details on the back she calls me and lets me know just how irresponsible I was. Sheesh! So I try very hard to include all the pertinent data. (Sure don't want to raise her blood pressure.) I have 9 huge photo albums. Yeah, they do take up a lot of space on my shelf, but my kids have loved going through them over the years. It's our family's history in pictures and what's that old saying??? A picture is worth a thousand words? For me it's a moment in time preserved for us to treasure.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
I have an album from the late 1800's early 1900's of relatives I believe to be on my fathers side. I think it's my fathers side because there are a lot of good looking people in the album and my mothers side had a lot of ugly people. I have an old photo of the Chicago police department from the 1920's (?) that contains my great Grandfather on my mothers side. I also have his old multi colored wooden baton. It's funny how I followed in my great Grandmothers footsteps. Is it in the genes or just a fun coincidence?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:11 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

Thank goodness my mom taught us to write on the back of them as soon as we got them. But I see other family pictures that I have no idea what is going on!!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 AM

30,549 posts, read 16,240,407 times
after my mom passed, I found a whole suitcase of (mostly) unlabeled photos. With no knowledge of who the people were and/or where the photo was taken, I just tossed them. Bothered me at the time and still does a bit. Guess they were her memories and died with her. sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics