Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon all from a warm England.

Now then. My idea of a great vacation would be a driving trip across America - slowly. We've got the time to do it, but my wife Judy won't even think about it. She worries two foreign tourists may wander into area's we shouldn't be.

My favourite thing to do with friends in school holidays was wandering over the hills behind where we lived.

My all time favourite movie. Mmmm. I love 'Citizen Kane' and 'The Godfather'. But, my favourite guilty pleasures are 'The Way We Were' and 'The Natural'. Both starring the great Robert Redford.

My favourite song is 'I Should Have Known Better' by a guy called Jim Diamond. The words are heartbreakingly sad.

I was in my school choir when I was a boy. My solos brought tears to peoples eyes.......

Have a nice day everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Today's Questions

If money and time were no consideration, what would be your dream vacation? About 3 weeks in Europe, including a 1-week Mediterranean cruise. I'd love to spend time in Italy, Spain and Greece. Would like to do some touristy things such as visiting castles, The Louvre, etc., but I'd also like to spend time out in the country, hiking, and staying for a few nights with a family in a small town, soaking up the local color.

What was your favorite thing to do with friends during school vacation? Playing outside. Something kids used to do before electronics took over their lives.

Have you ever built or crafted anything? Yes. What was it? When I was a kid, I used to build and paint bird models; had a collection of about 20. Sadly, I no longer have them. I also liked to do science experiments and built electrical circuits and stuff like that. What a nerd! I loved it!

What is your all-time favorite movie? Serious: Gone With The Wind. Comedy: Airplane!

What is your all-time favorite song? O Mio Babbino Caro (Puccini)

Were you ever in a choir, band or orchestra? Yes, many choirs. Tell us about it. I've been in church choirs since I was a kid. For about 10 years I was in a 250-member choir at Valparaiso University - the V.U. Civic Choral Society. We performed concerts twice a year, and it was some of the most beautiful classical choral music ever written. What a thrill that was. We were accompanied by the U.V. Civil Orchestra. Unfortunately, the university eventually discontinued the choir and orchestra. What a shame.

Currently, in addition to church choir, I sing in a 3-part women's choir that performs exclusively for patients in our local hospice center. The whole choir (about 25 of us) sings on a monthly basis in the hallways of the hospice center. In between those times, we split into trios and sing in the patients' rooms whenever our schedules will allow. It is a wonderful ministry.

Tell us about your best boss. What made him or her an excellent leader? My current boss is the best one I've ever had. He is the company owner and president, is a brilliant businessman, yet is kind and respectful of not only his customers but his employees, from the top down. He treats the cleaning crew the same as he treats the company V.P. He's not a pushover by any means. He's a perfect combination of savvy businessman and kind and generous friend. He also does lots of volunteer work. Oh, and he just happens to be blind.

If you were told to volunteer for a local charity for a day, what one would you choose and what would you like to do to help them? I do a lot of volunteer work. My favorite currently is singing for the patients at the hospice center.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-19-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 AM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
Today's Questions

If money and time were no consideration, what would be your dream vacation?
To thoroughly explore Europe, Asia and the Americas. That should keep me busy.

What was your favorite thing to do with friends during school vacation?
Baseball, swimming, going to the beach with the girls and getting into mischief.

Have you ever built or crafted anything? What was it?
Not really crafty, but I tend to gravitate more to construction projects.

What is your all-time favorite movie?
The one that sticks in my mind is Winchester 73.

What is your all-time favorite song?
No one song can be a favorite for me.

Were you ever in a choir, band or orchestra? Tell us about it.
None for me.

Tell us about your best boss. What made him or her an excellent leader?
Actually had 2. One was a great coach and mentor, the other always gave me free rain to succeed to fail, but he always stood up for us no matter what.

If you were told to volunteer for a local charity for a day, what one would you choose and what would you like to do to help them?
The Salvation Army would be my choice and I would do anything the asked.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=KiwiKate;25701523]Another early post from here on the left coast. August 19 was not a very momentous day in history, so I'm just going to ask lots of unrelated questions so you can entertain us with your answers.

Today's Questions

If money and time were no consideration, what would be your dream vacation?.....A trip around the world. Have the money, just not the time yet.

What was your favorite thing to do with friends during school vacation?...As a child in grade school? We used to sing and dance to our favorite records and go get slurpees. I still love those and it wasn't unusual for me to take several of the shorties from the rental to get one.

Have you ever built or crafted anything? What was it?...Crafted: That would have to be my pumpkins. I draw my own stencils. They're pretty fun.

What is your all-time favorite movie?....Oh so many but probably Days From Heaven. It's an art film with a very young Richard Gere. I'll never forget the first time I saw it on the big screen back in the early 80's with an old boyfriend. We smoked something really potent, sat down, and took off. OMG the movie was so beautiful and still is.

What is your all-time favorite song?...Our song. I Dreamed Last Night by Justin Hayward. I'll forever remember the first time John played it for me on a cold winters night in front of the fireplace when we were newly married.
Were you ever in a choir, band or orchestra? Tell us about it. ....No. I was never musical nor artistic. I'm a bit of an idiot savant when it comes to Halloween.

Tell us about your best boss. What made him or her an excellent leader?...That would be back in High School when I cleaned a school after school. I talked to him decades after I quit the job and got to tell him how much I appreciated him way back when. He never hesitated to pitch in and help. He died several months after I called him. I still have this little gold Christmas tree he gave me for Christmas. I think he was my principal at the grade school I used to clean. I could walk to work and that's how I bought my first car at 18.

If you were told to volunteer for a local charity for a day, what one would you choose and what would you like to do to help them?...It would have to be an animal shelter for me.

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday. I think Garlic Guy is going to take over the alternate Sunday questions, so this will be my last QOTD for a while. It's been fun!... Yes it has and thank you.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:43 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
Today's Questions

If money and time were no consideration, what would be your dream vacation? Road trip! With first class/luxury travel when I have to cross the ponds. Diners Drive-ins and Dives would be on the menu!

What was your favorite thing to do with friends during school vacation? Play play and more play

Have you ever built or crafted anything? I have! What was it? You know those white reindeer you see in people's yards? I've made some of them...aside from doing flowers for weddings, that's about it

What is your all-time favorite movie? Hard to choose...tie between Fiddler on the Roof and My Fair Lady

What is your all-time favorite song? Which genre? Can't pick just one.

Were you ever in a choir, band or orchestra? My HS band and Choir Tell us about it. The HS band and choir were always 1st in state. Other schools hated it when they knew we were competeing. I have sung the National Anthem at Busch Stadium. My only claim to singing fame lol

Tell us about your best boss. What made him or her an excellent leader? I seem to do better with strict bosses...no mean but strict...treats everyone fairly and the same. I hate to say I haven't had one of those for over 10 years. I like mine fine, he leave me alone, trusting that I do my work. But I hate seeing some of the highjinx going on around me.

If you were told to volunteer for a local charity for a day, what one would you choose and what would you like to do to help them? I'm a good gopher...have me pick up trash or serve food.

Have a great day everyone!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Today's Questions Hey!

~ Stay in a nice cabin in the mountains of western North Carolina, hike with cameras, researching salamanders, and having wonderful wholesome eats all the while.

~ Nothing.

~ I built a house of cards.

~ There's a list of them.

~ There's a list of them. Greensleeves reminds me of my grandmother.

~ I've been in bands.

~ I don't have bosses.

If you were told to volunteer for a local charity for a day, what one would you choose and what would you like to do to help them?
~ I'd do something good volunteering for the animals without homes and/or sick.

* Yay and thanks! * Happy Sunday! *

Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Today's Questions
I'd like to do the RV around the country thing. Seems to be a tradition for many.

Just hang out, ride bikes, go for a swim.

As kids my brothers and I worked on model airplanes and cars.

Can't pick just one.

Too many.

Only one choir in school for a holiday program. It was a lot of fun.

Otherwise was in band in junior high and high school. I'm glad to have gotten some music education when the getting was good.

What makes any boss excellent is: intelligence, listening to everyone, and being fair.

The zoo. I'd gladly clean up, if I could come close to meeting a few wild friends while keeping all my fingers and toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday. I think Garlic Guy is going to take over the alternate Sunday questions, so this will be my last QOTD for a while. It's been fun!

You've done a great job, KiwiKate! Would be glad for you to host again any time.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Today's Questions

To go on a vacation to Hawaii, rent a luxurious beach home or luxury hotel suite right on the beach, with a beautiful woman going with me of course!...lol.

Go swimming! When I was a kid/teen we were fortunate to have a pool nearby, one of those smaller neighborhood association pools so it wasn't too crowded like the public pools. Me and my best friend Joe used to go there as often as possible during the summer, just about every day it was open.

One time when I was a kid I built a sculpture out of papermache in art class, does that count??...lol.

Oh wow, I'm a movie buff so I have many favorites! If I had to choose just one it would probably be the original "Dirty Harry" with Clint Eastwood.

That's another tough one! I have many favorite songs too. If I had to choose just one I guess it would be "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner.

Yes, I was in marching and concert band in junior high school and high school. I played the trumpet. Back then the marching bands at my high school here in Abilene were very good, we usually placed in the top 10 at state marching band competitions and that's out of hundreds of bands...Texas is a large state...lol. We were also invited to march in a lot of special events (major out of town parades, Dallas Cowboys halftime shows, etc.) The road trips to march in high school football halftime shows and the special out of town performances were so much fun! I really enjoyed being in the band.

Here's a brief video of my high school band (Abilene Cooper) when they won 4th place in the Texas state marching band competition shortly after I graduated:

86 ACHS Band Parade and State Finals Performance - YouTube

I had a part-time job selling electronics in a department store one time when I was in college. My department manager, a man named Ron was the best boss I've ever had. He was such a nice man and he handled everything in a very calm, patient way. He was also very supportive. If you was a good employee he would stand behind you in every possible way. I really enjoyed working with him.

I would volunteer at a well known homeless shelter here in town. It's been a while, but I've helped them out before and I donate money to them every month. It's a very well run shelter. They serve meals everyday and they're always needing help so I'd probably help them with that.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:59 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I think no one ever heard of my favorite song ("Scotch & Soda") so here it is ........

Scotch and Soda - The Kingston Trio - YouTube

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I think no one ever heard of my favorite song ("Scotch & Soda") so here it is ........

Scotch and Soda - The Kingston Trio - YouTube
OMG, Nancy! That is the first song I learned to play on the guitar. I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics