U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 10:47 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,588,477 times

Advertisements

To anyone who is mustering the courage to change something in their lives, which is why many of us are on this message board - I offer this quotation, which has given me much strength over the years. It isn't always easy to make changes, but when you hold a higher vision for yourself, it is a call you can't ignore.

[CENTER] "I learned this, that if you advance confidently in the direction of your dreams,
and endeavor to live the life which you have imagined,
you will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
You will put some things behind, you will pass an invisible boundary,
new, universal and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within you;
or the old laws will be expanded,
and interpreted in your favor in a more liberal sense,
and you will live with the license of a higher order of beings."
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]~Henry David Thoreau[/CENTER]

If you have a quotation that you have found helpful in your life, please share it! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 11:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,992,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
If you have a quotation that you have found helpful in your life, please share it!
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)

Old 09-28-2006, 01:01 PM

153 posts, read 541,664 times
Adream~
What wise words...and very meaningful for this forum!! I'm saving that one, for sure! Thank you for sharing it. Here's a short one, but one of my faves...

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. " ~ Anais Nin

Old 09-28-2006, 01:28 PM

3,377 posts, read 13,837,733 times
Some military words of wisdom I've picked up!

"When The Pin Is Pulled, Mr. Grenade Is Not Our Friend."
"If The Enemy Is In Range, So Are You."
"Try To Look Unimportant; The Enemy May Be Low On Ammo."
"Five-Second Fuses Only Last Three Seconds."
"If Your Attack Is Going Too Well, You're Walking Into An Ambush."
"Never Tell The Platoon Sergeant You Have Nothing To Do."
"If You See A Bomb Technician Running, Try To Keep Up With Him."
"Tracers Work Both Ways."
"It Is Generally Inadvisable To Parachute Directly Over The Area You Just Bombed."

Old 09-28-2006, 02:28 PM

156 posts, read 765,477 times
"The real test of a man (or woman) is not when he plays the role that he wants for himself, but when he plays the role destiny has for him." - Vaclav Havel

Old 09-28-2006, 03:29 PM

571 posts, read 2,432,895 times
My 9th grade driver's ed teacher, Mr. Foxley (really!):

"Always leave yourself an out."

Of course he was referring to driving and always having an "escape" plan, but I think it applies to life too...even though it may not seem like it, you always have a choice and you should never let yourself get "stuck."

For more on the whole notion of choice, I highly recommend the book Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl. He was a concentration camp survivor turned psychologist who believed that even in the most dire of circumstances, you always have the freedom to choose your attitude...it's the one human right that no one can take from you. Very deep stuff, but a surprisingly short read.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:09 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,588,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
My 9th grade driver's ed teacher, Mr. Foxley (really!):

"Always leave yourself an out."

Of course he was referring to driving and always having an "escape" plan, but I think it applies to life too...even though it may not seem like it, you always have a choice and you should never let yourself get "stuck."

For more on the whole notion of choice, I highly recommend the book Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl. He was a concentration camp survivor turned psychologist who believed that even in the most dire of circumstances, you always have the freedom to choose your attitude...it's the one human right that no one can take from you. Very deep stuff, but a surprisingly short read.
Checked Amazon for the book and added it to my shopping list. Thanks for the recommendation, MidniteBreeze - it is sure to be a compelling and inspiring book. It's been in print in English for 40+ years, I wonder why I've never read this.

I completely agree, we make choices every single day that creates the life we live. Big choices and small, mundane choices. Surely the quality of our life is worth making a choice to live it the best we can, and do what it takes to make that happen. The place to start is found right between the ears!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:07 PM

22,610 posts, read 32,653,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13)
That is a good one. And so is Philippians 4:6-7 Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He had done. If you do this you will experiance God's peace which if far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds asyou live in Christ Jesus.

Just thought I should add I think the best words of encouragement to me come from the Bible. Everytime I read it I feel a peace that I cannot get from anything else or anyone. My favorite verse is Jere 29:11....read it.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 PM

359 posts, read 1,563,833 times
midnightbreeze, I had forgotten all about Frankl's book - what a profound book that was in my life. I highly recommend it to all !

Old 09-30-2006, 09:40 PM

421 posts, read 422,264 times
My father used to say, Growing old is a privledge denied many..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics