U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
43,392 posts, read 18,404,061 times
Reputation: 111674

Advertisements


Happy Wednesday, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.


IT'S ABOUT HONEY, HONEY

I learned something interesting today that I'd never been aware of before. I was putting
some honey in my tea at work and noticed a warning on the front of the bottle that says,
"Do not feed honey to infants under one (1) year of age." Well, blow me over. I had no
idea.

Curious as to the reason why infants should not ingest honey, I Googled it and found many
sources that said honey naturally contains botulinum toxin spores which can cause botulism
food poisoning in infants. Infants' immature digestive tracts make them susceptible to the
botulinum spores. Older children and adults can tolerate honey's toxin just fine, but physicians
say you should not feed it to infants under one year.

This is a good reminder that we should always read labels on food products which we buy.
In addition to the nutrition info, look for any warnings or special storage instructions.

On that note, I think I'll have another mug of tea with honey!

.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2012, 08:58 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
39,023 posts, read 22,138,681 times
Reputation: 36017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Happy Wednesday, kids! Scroll on down for Today's Tip.


IT'S ABOUT HONEY, HONEY

I learned something interesting today that I'd never been aware of before. I was putting
some honey in my tea at work and noticed a warning on the front of the bottle that says,
"Do not feed honey to infants under one (1) year of age." Well, blow me over. I had no
idea.

Curious as to the reason why infants should not ingest honey, I Googled it and found many
sources that said honey naturally contains botulinum toxin spores which can cause botulism
food poisoning in infants. Infants' immature digestive tracts make them susceptible to the
botulinum spores. Older children and adults can tolerate honey's toxin just fine, but physicians
say you should not feed it to infants under one year.

This is a good reminder that we should always read labels on food products which we buy.
In addition to the nutrition info, look for any warnings or special storage instructions.

On that note, I think I'll have another mug of tea with honey!

.
WOW! I never knew this ... Great tip about carefully reading labels on the products we buy. You can never make assumptions ... I also did not realize that there were toxins in honey ... Guess that's why I just cannot eat too much of the stuff before I feel icky.

Speaking of surprising bits about common foods, I wonder how many of our readers are aware that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and that they can choke easily on chicken?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Looking over your shoulder
31,304 posts, read 31,334,913 times
Reputation: 84445
All babies under one year of age are already sweet enough and don't need honey....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
15,895 posts, read 17,209,802 times
Reputation: 62744
I'm saving up honey for trade in case we have a zombie apoc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
42,841 posts, read 57,320,686 times
Reputation: 121589
Great warning Pam. You have to be really careful with them little one's foods. especially under 12 months.

Here's some more foods not to feed the tykes;

Checklist: 10 Foods You Shouldn't Feed Baby
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 AM
 
Location: SW France
15,691 posts, read 16,246,263 times
Reputation: 28949
I didn't know that Pam!

Interesting list nitram!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
52,934 posts, read 74,460,744 times
Reputation: 118039
This controversial statement should be re-evaluated a long time ago.
Bee honey is widely used as a medication. Its low moisture content and high acidity prevents bacterial growth.
It has a anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and wound healing effects. Some researchers have identified honey as a possible source of C. botulinum spores. But:
- the probability of infant botulism caused by honey is extremely rare
- other researchers did not detected these spores in bee honey.
- those very few highly sensitive infants are going to be sick anyway, because C. botulinum spores are found everywhere.
(in the air, soil, dust, often found on the surfaces of fruits and vegetables and in seafood, also in canned food).

In other countries infants are fed small servings of honey as a food (good nutritive value) and as a non-traditional medicine to treat different illnesses ( e.g. cough, sore throat or to control stomach discomfort ).
I used to add honey to my infant son daily diet. He never got sick, and I never heard anyone I know about their kids being sick because of honey consumption.

Try to find any documentation of a single case of infant botulism that can be proven to be caused by honey.
So, take our Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations ( like many other misleading recommendations they made) with a grain of salt...

Nice list, nitram, but most of the listed items may cause a ... chocking hazard or food allergies.
A responsible adult would not leave a small kid with any type of small objects that could be ingested. We all know that small kids put everything in their mouth . That does not mean that raw vegetables or fruit should be avoided! In contrary, small kids should get increased amounts of finely pureed fruits and veggies - its good and healthy for them. Other listed (and unlisted) food may cause an allergic reaction, but you will not know about till its consumed.

Last edited by elnina; 11-28-2012 at 12:56 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,835 posts, read 62,197,755 times
Reputation: 166742
Well honey certainly has some special characteristics. Nature's wonder! Thanks for all the info everyone. We have heard of the infant no honey warning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
52,934 posts, read 74,460,744 times
Reputation: 118039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post

Speaking of surprising bits about common foods, I wonder how many of our readers are aware that chocolate is poisonous to dogs and that they can choke easily on chicken?
I am sure you meant that dogs can choke easily on chicken (or turkey, or any other, small) bones - not a chicken meat
As of chocolate - its all about the Theobromine content, that is similar to caffeine. Your dog will also get sick or die if he consumes a large amount of your morning coffee.
If you think about, a fat trimmings are also very dangerous for dogs - they can cause pancreatitis, or candy, or some kinds of fish ( even cooked ), or grapes/raisins, some nuts, onions, some kinds of fruit etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas
114,835 posts, read 62,197,755 times
Reputation: 166742
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am sure you meant that dogs can choke easily on chicken (or turkey, or any other, small) bones - not a chicken meat
I was gonna say.......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top