U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,267,575 times

Advertisements

I often here people say they are impressed by this or that and a lot of times it's things that don't really impress me.

One thing that has always impressed me are people that beat the odds against them.

Someone that learns to play piano and they are blind.
Someone that competes in races and can't walk.
Someone that grew up in a bad, drug infested neighborhood and gets out.
Someone that grew up poor and still finds a way to go to college.
Women that succeed despite working in a male dominated environment.

Also, people that adopt. There are so many kids with no one to love them and people that adopt give them a family. That's just great!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 07:09 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,611,062 times
What impresses me is someone who is so unselfconsciously secure within himself and with moral balance that he can give without hesitation or expecting something in return. A person who isn't swayed by popular opinion or crowd rule, but who knows right from wrong and understatedly goes about his business unswerved by fads or fixating on the opinions of others. A person happy with himself and what life has dealt him and lives contentedly.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM

421 posts, read 428,427 times
I am always impressed with intelligent ppl...
Rainbows impress me to no end...
Lightening is impressive...
Nuns and priests that devote thier whole life to serving humanity impress me...
Kung Fu masters are impressive....I am a black belt...always wanted to go further but never did...but i and others consider me NOT ARMED AND DANGEROUS..LOL..
The ocean is impressive...as are mountains....
Half pipe rollerbladers and skateboarders really impress me as do the bikers...
Medical examiners impress me...
Gators are impressive...

Old 10-02-2006, 07:50 PM

421 posts, read 428,427 times
I'm sorry, it was traits in a person...LOL...Ok, i am impressed with intelligence and talents.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,605,332 times
humor
spiritual
calm
intelligence
patience
perseverance
kindness
compassion
appreciation of children
love of animals
dimples
joi de vive
vision

Old 10-02-2006, 11:52 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,631,802 times
People who are "real". Genuine. What you see is what you get. (And what you see isn't "dressed up" - no make up, (for girls-for guys it's ok ) plain clothes, plain hair...)
Pleasant, caring, fun, happy - but not forced!!! REAL!!!
I think I can count on one hand how many of those I've encountered...
Oh, & vegan!

Old 10-03-2006, 05:20 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,267,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
What impresses me is someone who is so unselfconsciously secure within himself and with moral balance that he can give without hesitation or expecting something in return. A person who isn't swayed by popular opinion or crowd rule, but who knows right from wrong and understatedly goes about his business unswerved by fads or fixating on the opinions of others. A person happy with himself and what life has dealt him and lives contentedly.
Agreed.
I am very fortunate to know people like that and try to conciously be that way myself.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM

571 posts, read 2,442,430 times
Great thread. I agree with the above posts...people who overcome adversity, people who are "real" and everything MoMark said...all impressive traits.

Humility goes such a long way. There's nothing at all wrong with being talented, beautiful, wealthy or intelligent...but I'm NOT impressed with people who are so insecure with themselves that they feel they need to go around flaunting these things. If you've been blessed with one or more of these gifts, I think you have an obligation to use them positively!

Sometimes it's the people who are the least "blessed" who are the most giving. I think we can all learn a lot from them.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:08 PM

502 posts, read 2,236,889 times
Loving people that take the time to help others in need.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:55 AM

126 posts, read 308,430 times
I am impressed by people that really have patience. Not just for show, not just because they are too lazy or don't care. But actually have patience. It always impresses me. A good sense of humor (again not for show) but a real sense of humor about life in general. The ability to laugh at themselves, to not get upset about little things, those are traits I admire in people and it just so happens to be the reasons I fell in love with my husband. He had all these traits that I admire so much and he makes life so much easier, (I tend to be a little high strung, just a little ) and he makes life fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics