Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,358,774 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all, and welcome to Monday! I hope your weekend was relaxing and that you’re rejuvenated and ready to dive into a great week.

And what better way to start this or any week than by gathering for a few moments to discuss:

Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)?

What was the oldest thing you found when you cleaned off your desk?

What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up?

Have you ever rediscovered something valuable when cleaning?

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet?

What did you dress him or her up as? (Photos welcome!)

How did the critter enjoy his or her costume?

Did any injuries result from the dress-up process?

Bonus Question:

Have you ever sprained or broken anything?

How did it happen?

How long did you have to wear a brace or use crutches or a sling?

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show?

Today in History:

1514 – Pope Leo X issues a papal bull against slavery
1639 – The “Fundamental Orders” – the first written constitution that created a government – is adopted in Connecticut
1784 – Ratification Day: the United States Congress ratifies the Treaty of Paris with Great Britain, formally ending the American Revolutionary War
1911 – Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf
1943 – Franklin D. Roosevelt becomes the first US President to travel via airplane while in office, as he travels to Morocco to discuss war strategies with Winston Churchill at the Casablanca Conference
1952 – NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, featuring Dave Garroway as host
1954 – The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation to form the American Motors Corporation
1973 – Elvis Presley’s concert Aloha from Hawaii is broadcast live via satellite, and sets a record as the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in television history
1999 – Toronto, Canada Mayor Mel Lastman calls in the army to help with medical evacuations and snow removal after a paralyzing blizzard

Today’s Word:

Plangent \plăn jĕnt\ adjective
1. Loud and resounding
2. Expressing or suggesting sadness; plaintive

Today is:

Ratification Day
Penguin Awareness Day
National Dress Up Your Pet Day
National Clean Off Your Desk Day
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day
National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,500,719 times
Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)?
Just yesterday, but it needs doing again - my desk is the one thing in my life I have trouble keeping tidy.

My sunglasses - I've had the frames around 8 years... and perhaps some of the pens in my pen mug.

Hmmm - nothing really odd, other than perhaps my back scratcher. But it belongs on my desk for ease of access!

Nope.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? Not since I was a kid and used to try to put dolls clothes/bonnets on my guinea pig!

Not at all!

Just hurt guinea-pig pride!

Bonus Question:

Have you ever sprained or broken anything? I've sprained my left ankle quite badly a number of times, resulting it in being permanently fragile and easy to re-injure.

How did it happen?
Usually missing a step when walking down stairs, or tripping over a kerb in the street.

Crutches, but usually just for a few days.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show? Sigh - older (as usual!)

Thanks BookWorm.

Have a great start to the week.

Last edited by Kobber; 01-14-2013 at 04:26 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 04:25 AM

11,420 posts, read 9,347,664 times
Hello everyone,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good morning, all, and welcome to Monday! I hope your weekend was relaxing and that you’re rejuvenated and ready to dive into a great week.

And what better way to start this or any week than by gathering for a few moments to discuss:

Today’s Question(s):

A) When I moved a couple of weeks ago
B) ?
C) ?
D) No, but I came across some old photographs I forgot I had.

Quote:
For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet?

N/A

Quote:

How did it happen?

I was only on crutches once and it was for about a week. About 15 years ago I severely sprained my ankle while walking on a sidewalk looking for an address and the sidewalk gave way.

Quote:
Finally one of these where I can say I am younger.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,152 times
Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)? I cleaned off my desk at school on Saturday.

There was nothing odd.
What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up? When my daughters were young and spending days at day care they each had a bag to carry their things for the day. My older daughter hated bread crust and would take it off her sandwiches and stuff it into the pockets of her bag.

Nothing of any monetary value, but reading glasses, old photos and the like....

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? Never, poor things.

Bonus Question:

When I was twelve I went over my horse''s head when she shied and broke my wrist.

Oh, too long ago to remember.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show? Without looking, I'll say older. I'm always older....
Well, what do you know! I was born in August of '52, so I'm younger by a little more than 8 months!

Off to spend all day in a meeting at school...ugh. When/if we get breaks I'll run down the hall to see the kids...
Enjoy your day, all!

Last edited by kpinvt; 01-14-2013 at 04:59 AM..

Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,636,126 times
Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)? Last week, but it needs it again. lol

What was the oldest thing you found when you cleaned off your desk? Newspaper

What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up? Some of my mother's old pictures we had out

Have you ever rediscovered something valuable when cleaning? Nope

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? Aint now way any kind of clothing is going on our dog.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever sprained or broken anything? Ankle, several times

How did it happen? Army basic training drill of run, dodge and jump. Run and dodge went fine. Jump, with wet sandbags to jump over and on? Different story. lol

How long did you have to wear a brace or use crutches or a sling? 3 weeks I think

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show? Younger

Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 AM

34,279 posts, read 20,598,469 times
[quote=_redbird_;27755240]Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)? I cleaned off my desk at home approximately two weeks ago. Why? Is there going to be an inspection?

What was the oldest thing you found when you cleaned off your desk? dried up crumbs. No telling the age though. They were inedible.

What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up? A christmas gift from last christmas, that I never opened.

Yes. That gift.

Extra Credit Question:

[b]For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? The little one was "Head Chew Leader", and the other got sweaters.

How did the critter enjoy his or her costume? Not as much as we did.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 AM

4,710 posts, read 3,292,026 times
Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)? Last week.

What was the oldest thing you found when you cleaned off your desk? A newspaper clipping that was several months old.

What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up? Nothing too old because I keep things picked up and put away.

Have you ever rediscovered something valuable when cleaning? Anything of value is in a safer place.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? Yes

What did you dress him or her up as? (Photos welcome!) When I was a kid I would dress my cats up in doll clothing.

How did the critter enjoy his or her costume? I don't think they minded. They would sleep in my arms like a baby.

Did any injuries result from the dress-up process? More than likely I got scratched a few times.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever sprained or broken anything? Nothing broken but a few sprained ankles over the years.

How did it happen? I dropped a door on my foot.

How long did you have to wear a brace or use crutches or a sling? Crutches for a few days.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show? I'm younger.

Today in History:

1639 – The “Fundamental Orders” – the first written constitution that created a government – is adopted in Connecticut
1784 – Ratification Day: the United States Congress ratifies the Treaty of Paris with Great Britain, formally ending the American Revolutionary War
1911 – Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf
1943 – Franklin D. Roosevelt becomes the first US President to travel via airplane while in office, as he travels to Morocco to discuss war strategies with Winston Churchill at the Casablanca Conference
1952 – NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, featuring Dave Garroway as host
1954 – The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation to form the American Motors Corporation
1973 – Elvis Presley’s concert Aloha from Hawaii is broadcast live via satellite, and sets a record as the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in television history
1999 – Toronto, Canada Mayor Mel Lastman calls in the army to help with medical evacuations and snow removal after a paralyzing blizzard

Today’s Word:

1. Loud and resounding

Today is:

Ratification Day
Penguin Awareness Day
Bald Eagle Appreciation Day I actually saw one this past summer near my house....very unusual to see them in my area.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,963,696 times
Good morning to all! Another Monday!!! Yay...

Today’s Question(s):

I cleaned my desk at home a couple of weeks ago. What a project!

Just old documents that need to be saved.

Nothing too odd. That's a good thing.

Oh yeah! I've had plenty of those "so that's where I put it" moments.

Extra Credit Question:

Never.

Bonus Question:

Oh yeah... several bones including my arm, nose (twice), fingers, toes, ribs, etc.

How did it happen?
Doing 'guy' stuff (hockey, tree climbing) and even just by walking.

Several weeks for the arm. Had a nice piece of tape holding my nose in place for a couple of weeks. The ribs, toes and stuff, you really can't brace them.

Just for Fun:

Younger

Today is:

Ratification Day
Penguin Awareness Day

Have a great day everybody!

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,743,190 times
Quote:

Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)? A few days ago.

What was the oldest thing you found when you cleaned off your desk? A business letter from several months ago.

What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up? Nothing

No

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? No

Bonus Question:

Have you ever sprained or broken anything? When I was a kid I dislocated my left thumb.

How did it happen? If I remember correctly I was running down the hall and fell.

Went to the doctor and he popped my thumb back in place.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show? Younger

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

1. Loud and resounding

Today is:

Ratification Day
Penguin Awareness Day

Have a good day everyone.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,577,702 times
Today's Question Monday, 14 January 2013 Good morning, all, and welcome to Monday! I hope your weekend was relaxing and that you’re rejuvenated and ready to dive into a great week.

Today’s Question(s):

When was the last time you cleaned off your desk (or whatever surface you use for your computer)? Yesterday!

What was the oldest thing you found when you cleaned off your desk? An old cable to connect a computer to a fax machine.

What was the oddest thing you ever found in the process of cleaning up? A whole bunch of unused Fathers Day cards. At least I don't need to get cards this time.

I found $130 worth of BestBuy gift cards.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of our QOTD community who are or were pet-owners, have you ever tried to dress up your pet? My mother has, unfortunately.

What did you dress him or her up as? (Photos welcome!) He had on a Russian babushka made out of napkins.
How did the critter enjoy his or her costume? Indifferent.

Did any injuries result from the dress-up process? Maybe a knock to his self-esteem.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever sprained or broken anything? Broken my nose and my pinky finger. Worst injury was a total tear of my hip flexor.

How did it happen? Kicking a soccer ball. One kick and 'snap!'

How long did you have to wear a brace or use crutches or a sling? I didn't. Had it looked at, but never really went to the doctor. Seeing how I could hardly walk for a month, I probably should have. It still is mildly uncomfortable to walk up stairs, even though the injury was over 5 years ago.

Just for Fun:

Are you older or younger than The Today Show? Younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics