Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:28 PM

75 posts, read 269,845 times

Advertisements

you know in the hustle and bustle of every day life....
I really believe that people have forgot how to truly be nice
and respectful of each other...I am a native Floridian and my city
is growing along with all the other ones out there.....can't we all
just take a deep breath and sigh and take the time to say hello
and just be nice....or is that just too much to ask of some people...
I believe in southern hospitality and just wish I knew a few others
that feel like I do.......
I had a friend once ( whom I miss everyday)-- she taught me to just be nice
and say hello.....it makes me smile when I think back---we would just
be somewhere and no matter who would be walking towards us....she would
always smile and say hi .....I take that with me now.....and just thought
I would share that simple gesture that really did mean alot to some---
especially me..... Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM

49 posts, read 282,705 times
Hello Kat! Thank you for your words. I couldn't agree more!

Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,229 times
How can we be nice when the world is crashing in around us? The economy is in the toilet, bugs are eating my home, homeless people from third world countries wouldn't even take my home in Florida with the current state of things. I just saw on the news that the entire pennisula is actually sinking! We could be underwater by this time next year! GET ME OUT!

Just kidding, I love Florida, I love my community, and I love my home. Good stuff Kat, thanks for bringing a little bit of levity to the discussions.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Yeah, it's nice in theory, but I think the whole "southern hospitality" thing is a little overrated. It's like, there are so many people, and everyone has their own thing going on...I mean, not everyone is so social. Like me. I mean, I do sometimes say hello, and most people say hello back. And some people say hello to me, and I usually say hello back. (I'm talking about strangers here. Obviously people who you work with & live near are a little different. Sometimes... )
But I also go out of my way to NOT say hello. Like if I'm standing in front of my house & notice someone coming, I might turn the other way so that they don't say hello & I don't have to. I'd prefer not to have anyone around! Gimme a section (yep a whole 640 acres!!!) and I'll have achieved Nirvana!!!!!!!
So while it IS nice to be friendly, it's really not everyone's trip, if ya catch my drift.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 PM

251 posts, read 885,924 times
It is sad that you would go out of your way to not say hello to someone. I can't imagine putting effort into such a negative act....sad....You get so much more out of life by being happy and positive than negative and alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Yeah, it's nice in theory, but I think the whole "southern hospitality" thing is a little overrated. It's like, there are so many people, and everyone has their own thing going on...I mean, not everyone is so social. Like me. I mean, I do sometimes say hello, and most people say hello back. And some people say hello to me, and I usually say hello back. (I'm talking about strangers here. Obviously people who you work with & live near are a little different. Sometimes... )
But I also go out of my way to NOT say hello. Like if I'm standing in front of my house & notice someone coming, I might turn the other way so that they don't say hello & I don't have to. I'd prefer not to have anyone around! Gimme a section (yep a whole 640 acres!!!) and I'll have achieved Nirvana!!!!!!!
So while it IS nice to be friendly, it's really not everyone's trip, if ya catch my drift.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 PM

44 posts, read 168,522 times
Sometimes a simple hello can make a world of a difference!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
I AM positive and happy!!! That's kind of "negative" on your part to judge someone else as being negative just because they're different from you.
If you are social, that's great! Whatever floats your boat. I don't tell people who walk by to go f themselves!!! I simply sometimes avoid the situation. I ENJOY solitude. Not ALWAYS, but alot. Especially when it comes to strangers. I don't owe them & they don't owe me. How do I know who or what they are?! They could be the nicest person in the world, or they could be a child molester. Or an adulterer. Or anything else. I don't know them, and they don't know me!
Yet I am an EXTREMELY nice person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When our power poll went on fire a few weeks ago (good ole FPL ) we turned on our generator for our beloved Oscy fish and asked the neighbors if they wanted to plug in!
I would always help if I were asked or saw a need.
But that doesn't mean I need to walk around saying hi to everyone!
Some people LIKE to keep to themseves!!!!!!!
If more people opened their minds to other realities, THAT would be NICE!!!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 AM

32 posts, read 57,442 times
Smile Life is too short to be grumpy!! :)

Life is too short to be grumpy!!... Here is one of my favorite quotes.....

“Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.” ~ Sir James M. Barrie

Old 10-06-2006, 05:57 AM

83 posts, read 346,375 times
I completely believe in southern hospitality. Unfortunately it is sorely lacking in Florida. I know because I'm a native myself. It is nearly impossible to feel that sort of vibe when nearly everyone in Fl now is a transplant anyway. I have seen more southern hospitality in other southern states than I do here. Like you said, it's just rush, rush, hustle and bustle, build more condos, yada, yada, yada. The old way of life and simplicity is gone.

This doesn't mean I'm still not nice to those I meet on the street but it is easy to get sad and discouraged to see your homeland ravaged and being forced to move out.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:24 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
rcnkat..
Ohh...yes, we need more of this art. Even out in the city hustle & bustle I might not literally say hi, but I have a permanent smile on my face, which is the same but without coming across as dorky or like, "What's wrong with her..?" My brother always laughs at me cause he says that even when I'm sitting all alone, doing dishes or whatever I have like this smile on my face. My mom says that I have a certain something that she cannot explain, cause people on the street always, always stop me for directions, ask for help in a grocery store or whatever...
Around my neighbors or aquaintances I always say hi or wave. Just yesterday a lady was walking in front of my house with 3 little dogs - never saw her - I said "hello..." and she said "hello" back. We ended up chatting for about 15 mintues and a wonderful lady she was, it so happened she was a neighbor that had moved recently 1 block away, so now I have another lovely friend.
You know, I've had some awful hard knocks in life like everyone everywhere, but humanity as a whole has more good people than bad. I cannot let the bad ones, which are the minority, change or rule my feelings. That's not being weak, all the contrary - and it's what gets one further in life in the long run. The other avenue yes has an instant gratification but it is short term and worst of all, totally self destructive. Kaboom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics