Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,101,857 times

Advertisements

Good Morning to all. As Grammie would say, "it looks and smells like rain around here". Grammie always seemed to know when it was time for things.

<*><*><*><*><*><*>

The "signs" were always there for Grammie. She would anxiously wait for her new Farmer's Almanac to come, so she could use it to make her predictions and make her plans for her gardens as well as any planned surgeries or other medical treatment. The two things that older people, including Grammie, swore by were the bible and the Farmer's Almanac. And how could I forget the "old wives tales" and the "pass me downs", those were almost a type of bible themselves. Her advice to me was always get the Farmer's Almanac and follow it. And being a farmer's daughter, I have always followed this advice and just as Grammie did, I wait anxiously for the new issue each year.

If the signs from the Farmer's Almanac said the best day to plant potatoes was on Easter Sunday, then those potatoes went into the ground that day after church. When you came to Grammie's for Easter dinner on a potato planting day, you better wear some garden planting clothes and eat something before you came because dinner was going to be late. In fact, dinner was not eaten until all of the seed potatoes from the big burlap bag were cut into planting size pieces and planted in the tilled soil. Then it was time to rest and eat.

I took a peek at the 2013 Farmer's Almanac and found that yesterday and the day before that were the best days to plant beets, onions and turnips in this locale. And today through Friday (August 6 - 9, 2013) is the best time to kill weeds, briars, poison ivy and other plant pests). This is doing things by the Moon Calendar. Some people predict things by the wooly caterpillars, and some predict by the moon. I think I trust the moon more than a caterpillar.

These days, I'm an old Grandma myself so I find that I read the Farmer's Almanac to find out the best days to do a lot. I fish by the moon signs, garden by the moon signs, and even go for medical treatment depending what part of my body the moon sign is in. The Almanac even has recipes, and household hints as well as long range weather forecasts. I made the best tomato/green pepper/spinach smoothie the other day from a recipe I got from the Almanac.

Here's the smoothie recipe from the Farmer's Almanac.

Vegetable Smoothie

2 cups of blended fresh tomatoes (blend them and then measure)
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/2 cup spinach leaves (packed)
1 apple which is seeded and peeled and chopped (optional)

Liquefy enough tomatoes to make 2 cups of tomatoes. Add bell peppers and the spinach leaves and blend. Add chopped apple if desired to give it a sweetness. If desired, add tabasco sauce, Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper.

When you're out and about and see a Farmer's Almanac, thumb through it and see all that it has. Next year you might follow Grammie's advice to live by the Farmer's Almanac.

,*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Here's a photo of me as a baby. I compared this baby picture to the one of my dad and I look just like him.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,201,737 times
love that picture. thanks for your story. farmer's almanac: a wealth of information.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,963,193 times
In the past years (long ago) when I planted gardens I never used the Farmer's Almanac, guess that's why I never had much luck with growing things.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 AM

16,731 posts, read 17,505,691 times
It's funny- there are days when I think that I can smell rain.

Guess I'd better get out there and kill some weeds!

Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,069,841 times
Thank you from my son for the recipe, Chickie - just IM'd it to him

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 PM

21,645 posts, read 8,797,885 times
The recipe sounds good, but I don't have a working blender. How about mixing applesauce into V-8 juice instead? (Low-sodium V-8 juice, of course.)

Love those stories about the Farmer's Almanac! I hope the planets were in the "teeth" phase today because I had dental work.

Your baby picture is so cute, Chickie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics