Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,563 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Welcome to another Wednesday and the questions it brings!

Today's Question(s):
When you were in school, what activities did you participate in:
plays?
science fair?
spelling bee?
debate?
band/choir?
other?

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out?

Just for Fun:
This is Shark Week, when The Discovery Channel devotes a whole week to all things shark.
Shark Week : Discovery Channel

Many people I know wait all year for this week!
If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows?

If you don't have access to anything like that, would you be interested in a whole week of shows about sharks?

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1985 Barbra Streisand records "Broadway Album"
Birthday: 1942 Garrison Keillor
Politics: 1954 Charles Mahoney becomes 1st U.S. black to serve as a full United Nations delegate
Pop Culture: 1974 Actress Faye Dunaway weds Peter Wolf of J Geils Band
Science/Technology: 1976 Scientists in Pasadena, California, announce Viking I found strongest indications to date of possible life on Mars
Sports: 1938 Leo Durocher, hits 2,000th Dodger home run

Today’s Word:
impetus
Pronunciation: \IM-puh-tus\
Meaning: 1a : a driving force : impulse b : incentive, stimulus c : stimulation or encouragement resulting in increased activity
2: the property possessed by a moving body in virtue of its mass and its motion — used of bodies moving suddenly or violently to indicate the origin and intensity of the motion
Etymology: Latin; "attack, assault, onset, impulse, violence, vigor, force, passion,"

Today is:
Particularly Preposterous Packaging Day
Professional Speakers Day
Purple Heart Day

Quote of the Day:
They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days. ~ Garrison Keillor ~

Have a great day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 AM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
Happy Hump Day!

Today's Question(s):
plays? in grade school
science fair?
spelling bee?
debate?
band/choir? choir in grade school.
other? pep club in high school. one year in HS I was in the Spanish Club and Gymnastics Club.

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out? Probably a beach somewhere in the Virgin Islands

Just for Fun:
This is Shark Week, when The Discovery Channel devotes a whole week to all things shark.

If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows? no, not really

If you don't have access to anything like that, would you be interested in a whole week of shows about sharks?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Today's Question(s):
plays?
science fair?
spelling bee? Yup. Runner up at our grade school 3 years in a row
debate?
band/choir? Band
other? Cub Scouts

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out? Under a shade tree at the edge of a lake with a nice breeze

Just for Fun:

If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows? I do get Discovery Channel but could care less about the shark hype

Old 08-07-2013, 06:42 AM

126,270 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Good morning

Today's Question(s):
When you were in school, what activities did you participate in:I attended sports,choirs and a club for human rights
plays?
science fair?
spelling bee?
debate?
band/choir?
other?

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out? Usually I would have said the Alps,but the way I feel right now I need to be with my sister at heart in New Mexico

Just for Fun:

If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows?

Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all! Good Mornin' to you,PatsCats.

Today's Question(s):
plays?
science fair?
spelling bee? I participated a couple of times.
debate? Sometimes
band/choir? Choir
other?

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out? In Rocky Mountain National Park.

Just for Fun:

If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows? Not really.

Today in History:
Politics: 1954 Charles Mahoney becomes 1st U.S. black to serve as a full United Nations delegate
Science/Technology: 1976 Scientists in Pasadena, California, announce Viking I found strongest indications to date of possible life on Mars

Today’s Word:
impetus
Meaning: 1a : a driving force : impulse b : incentive, stimulus c : stimulation or encouragement resulting in increased activity
2: the property possessed by a moving body in virtue of its mass and its motion — used of bodies moving suddenly or violently to indicate the origin and intensity of the motion
Etymology: Latin; "attack, assault, onset, impulse, violence, vigor, force, passion,"

Today is:
Purple Heart Day

Quote of the Day:
They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days. ~ Garrison Keillor ~

Happy Hump Day to all.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM

401 posts, read 479,665 times
Today's Question(s):

plays?
science fair?
spelling bee? I did once I think. I'm a decent speller but, I didn't come close to winning it for my grade.
debate?
band/choir?
other? Football, basketball (team ballboy etc.) and track (2 mile run)

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out? That is a very tough one because I know of so many really neat places. Either the Inland Passage in Alaska or the Sognefjord in Norway. Both were incredibly peaceful and beautiful nature wise.

Just for Fun:

If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows? I don't know if the hotel I'm staying at offers access. I don't watch shark shows. I've seen them while scuba diving and, that was exciting enough!

If you don't have access to anything like that, would you be interested in a whole week of shows about sharks? Nope. Sharks are one of the dangers of scuba diving. Thankfully, divers have more options than swimmers. We can hug the sea floor making it harder for them to get at us. We can blast them with some of the air in our tank. I have my dive knife to strike them with though who knows how much good that would do even though it is sharp!

Old 08-07-2013, 07:04 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Today's Question(s):
plays?
science fair?
spelling bee?
debate?
band/choir?
other? Recess

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out?
Getting a massage

Old 08-07-2013, 07:07 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
band
the land sea interface aka ocean
somewhat
yes

julie, hey, guess what day it is
ah come on i know you can hear me

Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Mornin' all!

Yep!! Good morning everyone!!

Today's Question(s):
plays? nah, not interested in that
science fair? yeah, there were similar programs, and I did participate
spelling bee? we didn't have it in my country ( & I don't think they do it anywhere in Europe except maybe GB)
debate? nah
band/choir? in a music school, yes
other? <<<
We used to have School Olympic Games ( between classes, then schools in same city, schools in a county , then schools in the country. Some even were held between countries).
I participated in a foreign language, biology and archery/shooting Olympics.

Bonus Question:
Definitely Alaska, but not sure how to do it in one hour

Just for Fun:

Hmmm... I watch Discovery Channel, but I didn't know about the shark show. Why is that so exceptional?

Not sure, since I never saw any Shark Week Shows before. But out of curiosity, I am going to give it a shot.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
impetus

Today is:
Purple Heart Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day everyone! Thank you PatCats!!

Last edited by elnina; 08-07-2013 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,362 times
Today's Question(s):
plays?
science fair?
spelling bee?
debate?
band/choir?
other? Sports and cheerleading

Bonus Question:
You have one hour to just relax anywhere on the planet. Where will you chill out? By the ocean.

Just for Fun:

If you have access to The Discovery Channel, do you get excited, and watch any of the Shark Week shows? I don't watch the Shark Week shows. I do like the Discovery Channel.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
impetus

Today is:
Purple Heart Day

Quote of the Day:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics