Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,076,033 times

Advertisements

Note: Hopefully this will post sometime today. I've lost it two times already due to internet connection problems.

Yikes the middle of the month is upon us. Where did this month go and how did it pass us by so quickly? Does getting old do this to a person?

<*><*><*><*><*>

One other time in the past, I told you about a story Grammie used to tell me. She had lots of them, and I think she might have used some of these when she taught school for a while.

I don't know if the way she told me the story was absolutely the correct way it should be told, but I can only tell you what she told me (and of course, what I can remember of the story).

This story is about a chicken named redfeathers. Grammie always had a lot of chickens with red feathers (Rhode Island Red) and some of those Black and White striped too which I think were beautiful (Barred Plymouth Rock).

Grammie's story about old Mrs. Redfeathers:

Mrs. Redfeathers, the chicken, had red feathers. Mr. Fox got into the barnyard and loved Mrs. Redfeathers at first sight. His mouth began to water and he decided he would capture Mrs. Redfeathers and have her for supper.

Mr. Fox ran home and told his wife to put on a pot of boiling water, for he intended to eat Mrs. Redfeathers. He grabbed a burlap bag and went back to the barnyard. In just a few seconds, Mrs. Redfeathers was inside the burlap bag and the fox was running toward home.

Mrs. Redfeathers had a friend who was a dove and that friend saw what happened. The dove flew down to the path in front of the fox and pretended to have a broken wing. The fox loved that he had come across a bird which would be his first course in his meal. He sat the sack down to get the dove. The dove cleverly started hopping away. Mrs. Redfeathers, hopped out of the sack and put a stone in the bag. The dove flew off so the fox returned to get his burlap bag with his prized supper.

When he got home, he tipped the sack and the stone plopped into the boiling water and splashed on the fox, burning his greedy paws and snout.

The moral of the story is birds of a feather stick together. And Mr. Fox, give up while you are ahead.

Good advice from Grammie. She made me realize that you always don't get what you think you're getting.

<*><*><*><*><*><*>

Sorry Tiny pic.com which I use for pictures, won't give me a code today. So no pictures. I'm not having a good internet day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,086,293 times
for some reason, your story reminds me of foghorn leghorn. that's a joke son, don't you get it?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 AM

16,562 posts, read 17,332,581 times
Good story- I like it!

Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM

400 posts, read 746,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post

Yikes the middle of the month is upon us. Where did this month go and how did it pass us by so quickly? Does getting old do this to a person?
The year has flown by and I'm still not rich!

Redfeathers is a wonderful story and would make a terrific children's book!!!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,076,033 times
Glad you all liked Mrs. Redfeathers story. I always liked to sit quietly when Grammie told me that story. I loved Grammie's stories a lot.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,776,845 times
Quote:
The moral of the story is birds of a feather stick together. And Mr. Fox, give up while you are ahead.

Good advice from Grammie. She made me realize that you always don't get what you think you're getting.
Now I can identify with that story!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 PM

21,433 posts, read 8,635,351 times
I don't know why they call them "birdbrains." Birds are smart! Cute story, Chickie.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM
bjh

59,820 posts, read 30,214,493 times
Yes, birds are smart. They must be using 100% of their brains.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,020,311 times
Cute story, chickie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics