U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

39,134 posts, read 25,781,604 times

Advertisements

Here we are. Another day, another dollar - or with inflation and taxes, another 50cts.

Today's Question:
What are the largest or most impressive or famous buildings you've visited?

Did you feel appropriately awed or underwhelmed?

Bonus Question:
I just can't eat as much in summer, even though air conditioning is on everywhere these days. I've lost about five pounds the last month or so, though it will return in the fall.

Does your weight fluctuate with the seasons?

Foodie Question - expanded (waistband) edition:
The foodie question accidentally got left in water overnight. It swelled to at least four times its original size. Hope you dont mind.

Is there a food or an ingredient you or your family cooked with that is not as easily found or is no longer available?

Have you ever tried Indian food?
If so, what did you think?

Have you ever used a crockpot?
What kinds of crockpot dishes have you made or eaten?

Right now is your freezer:
Full?
So-so?
Mostly empty?

If the power went out long enough and you had to salvage foods, tell us what you'd cook.

What frozen desserts would need to be eaten before they melt? Names of flavors, please.

Just for fun:
Maybe the freezer question and this question can cool off some of us in the dog days of summer here in the northern hemisphere.

When and/or where did you last encounter snow?

If you've never seen snow in person, what do you imagine it's like?

Or if you first encountered snow later in life, how did it match up to your expectations?

Today in History:
1248 Foundation stone of Cologne Cathedral laid in Germany. Building completed in 1880.
1843 Tivoli Gardens, one of the world's oldest amusement parks, opened in Copenhagen, Denmark
1911 Crisco shortening first sold
1914 Panama Canal officially opened when US ship SS Ancon sailed from Atlantic to Pacific
1961 Guard Conrad Schumann fled from East Germany during the construction of the Berlin Wall
1993 Nolan Ryan, 324th and final victory, Rangers 4, Indians 1
2011 Snow in New Zealand caused power outages and closure of roads and of Wellington Airport
2012 Australia upheld legislation calling for cigarettes to have plain packaging

Today’s Word:
ha·ver [hey-ver]
verb: Chiefly British: to equivocate; vacillate
-or-
noun: from Middle English haver ‘oats’, a farmer who grew oats or a grain merchant

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Bon Festival in Japan, day to honor ancestors
Lemon Meringue Pie Day
Relaxation Day

This Week is:
Aviation Week, 15-21

Today's Picture:
We're smack in the middle of another Elvis week with tourists packing Memphis. Year round people visit and often their destination is Graceland, including Elvis' burial place.
Here's a picture I took a while back of a few of the many tributes fans left at the foot of the grave.

Have a rockin' Thursday!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 PM

23,206 posts, read 22,313,168 times
Today's Question:

One was York Minster in York, England.

Extremely awed. The history, architecture, meaning.

Bonus Question:
I just can't eat as much in summer, even though air conditioning is on everywhere these days. I've lost about five pounds the last month or so, though it will return in the fall.

No. Because of ice cream in the summer.

The foodie question accidentally got left in water overnight. It swelled to at least four times its original size. Hope you dont mind.

Is there a food or an ingredient you or your family cooked with that is not as easily found or is no longer available?

Crisco? I don't know if it's still out there but I would never use it these days.

Yes. Very delicious but I don't like it when it's too spicy.

I use the crockpot all winter long.
Chile, pot roast, chicken soup, bean soup with cornbread dumplings...........

Full?
So-so?
Mostly empty?

Very full. It has homemade ice cream! It has five pounds of wild blueberries! It has home made popsicles! Plus pizzas, chicken, and the rest of the usual stuff.

If the power went out long enough and you had to salvage foods, tell us what you'd cook.

You mean I had to use the food that was going to spoil? I'd take the boneless chicken breasts and marinate them in something, then saute them and eat them hot or later on eat them cold if the power came on. Eat the ice cream for dessert and I'd use up the frozen vegetables.

What frozen desserts would need to be eaten before they melt? Names of flavors, please.

heh heh heh. How did you know. The pineapple vanilla home made ice cream that is hardening overnight and the orange popsicles that were put in the freezer a few hours ago.

Just for fun:
Maybe the freezer question and this question can cool off some of us in the dog days of summer here in the northern hemisphere.

in the month of March.

"oh, it's just like a white powder and doesn't make your hands all red and painful when you touch it."
Just pretending that I've never seen snow.

Or if you first encountered snow later in life, how did it match up to your expectations?

???????????

Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 PM

114,775 posts, read 58,027,839 times
Smile Today's Questions ~~ Thursday 15 August 2013
Here we are. Another day, another dollar - or with inflation and taxes, another 50cts.

Today's Question:
That leaves a lot of room for ......... The Alamo, the Tower of the America's, Griffith Observatory, Majestic Theater San Antonio...etc.

Bonus Question:
I used to maintain a steady weight my entire life but lost about 7 Lbs or so a few months back trying to get it back.
Maybe a couple lbs or so.

I grew up with Kraft Spaghetti Dinners (Red Box). Finest meal in a box anywhere. The morons quit making it!

Not really...well son may have fed us a sampling once. He likes to cook. I don't think it's for me.

Many... Sticky chicken, roasts etc.

Full? Mostly!
So-so?
Mostly empty?

Everything I reckon!

Blue Bell Peach and something else.

Just for fun:

Here! Few years back!

Today in History:
1248 Foundation stone of Cologne Cathedral laid in Germany. Building completed in 1880.
1843 Tivoli Gardens, one of the world's oldest amusement parks, opened in Copenhagen, Denmark
1914 Panama Canal officially opened when US ship SS Ancon sailed from Atlantic to Pacific
1961 Guard Conrad Schumann fled from East Germany during the construction of the Berlin Wall
2011 Snow in New Zealand caused power outages and closure of roads and of Wellington Airport
2012 Australia upheld legislation calling for cigarettes to have plain packaging

Today’s Word:
ha·ver [hey-ver]
-or-
noun: from Middle English haver ‘oats’, a farmer who grew oats or a grain merchant

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Lemon Meringue Pie Day
Relaxation Day

This Week is:
Aviation Week, 15-21

Today's Picture:
We're smack in the middle of another Elvis week with tourists packing Memphis. Year round people visit and often their destination is Graceland, including Elvis' burial place.
Here's a picture I took a while back of a few of the many tributes fans left at the foot of the grave.

Have a rockin' Thursday!
Thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-14-2013 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 10:33 PM

210,211 posts, read 80,962,793 times

Today's Question:
What are the largest or most impressive or famous buildings you've visited? Probably the Capital Building in DC.

Did you feel appropriately awed or underwhelmed? Not really.

Bonus Question:

Does your weight fluctuate with the seasons? Never notice.

Is there a food or an ingredient you or your family cooked with that is not as easily found or is no longer available? Fresh Fordhook Limas in the shell. Just can't find anymore.

If so, what did you think? Not yet.

Have you ever used a crockpot? Yes
What kinds of crockpot dishes have you made or eaten? Pot Roast

Full? 85% or better.
So-so?
Mostly empty?

If the power went out long enough and you had to salvage foods, tell us what you'd cook. A lot of beef.

What frozen desserts would need to be eaten before they melt? Names of flavors, please. Maybe 1/2 gallon of ice cream. No idea what flavor.

Just for fun:

When and/or where did you last encounter snow? Colorado in 2003. June.

Or if you first encountered snow later in life, how did it match up to your expectations? I first encounter snow as a adult in MI. Later in MO where it was nasty cold at 20° below 0° and knee deep but I was drinking Iced Tea from one of those old time Stanley Stainless glass lined thermos bottles while I trudged around cutting firewood.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
ha·ver [hey-ver]
-or-

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Lemon Meringue Pie Day
Relaxation Day

This Week is:
Aviation Week, 15-21

Today's Picture:

Have a rockin' Thursday!

Last edited by Nomadicus; 08-14-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,388,864 times
What...It's only 11: 34 PM EST! And the question is here.
I will wait until it is officially Thursday to answer the question.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM

114,775 posts, read 58,027,839 times

elvis presley - in the ghetto - YouTube

Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM

39,016 posts, read 21,195,365 times
Today's Question:
CNN Tower in Toronto and Empire State Building ... CNN Tower is taller than the ESB and I actually could see it upon approaching Toronto via plane.

It was definitely amazing seeing things from that high up

Bonus Question:

Not really ... I do tend to eat out more in the summer as I never feel like cooking so maybe summer makes me gain weight.

Can't think of anything

Yes and love the curries and paneer cheese ...

N/A

Full?
So-so?
Mostly empty?

I dunno ...

Don't have any so I need to stock up on some

Just for fun:

When and/or where did you last encounter snow? Snow?? What's THAT?

If you've never seen snow in person, what do you imagine it's like? Icy like the ice that's needs to be defrosted from the freezer ... Brrrr

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 PM

41,930 posts, read 16,678,786 times
Today's Question:
What are the largest or most impressive or famous buildings you've visited? I was at the top of the Sears Tower (now known as the Willis Tower) in Chicago a couple of times, back when it was the tallest building in the world. I've also been in some other well-known Chicago buildings, including the ginormous McCormick Place.

Did you feel appropriately awed or underwhelmed? Pretty amazed and awed.

Bonus Question:

Does your weight fluctuate with the seasons? I tend to put on some pounds during winter when the days are shorter. In summer I'm more motivated to take long power walks in the evening, and that really helps burn the calories.

Is there a food or an ingredient you or your family cooked with that is not as easily found or is no longer available? Yes. My mom always used Royal baking powder, and it disappeared from the stores' shelves decades ago. Royal was single-acting baking powder and all the baking powder in the stores now (at least in my area) is double-acting, so I have to remember to use half the amount of baking powder called for in my mom's old recipes and recipes in very old cookbooks.

Have you ever tried Indian food?Not yet, but I'd love to. Just haven't had the opportunity yet.

Have you ever used a crockpot? Yes; many times.
What kinds of crockpot dishes have you made or eaten? Chicken or beef stew; lots of other meat dishes.

Full? No; it's about 3/4 full. My freezer is not very large, and presently contains some gallon-size bags of blueberries, cherries and peaches. It also contains some packages of fish and a package of Polish sausage.

If the power went out long enough and you had to salvage foods, tell us what you'd cook. I would just cook one dish; probably fish sautéed on the stove top. I have a gas range and can light the burners with a match if the power is out. (The igniters are electric.) I'd take the rest of the frozen food to my sister's house for storage in her large freezer.

What frozen desserts would need to be eaten before they melt? Names of flavors, please. I have no frozen desserts at the present time; rarely do. If I did have some, it would probably be a package of Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches.

Just for fun:

When and/or where did you last encounter snow? At home in April.

If you've never seen snow in person, what do you imagine it's like? I've seen plenty of it, every winter. I love snow.

Or if you first encountered snow later in life, how did it match up to your expectations? I've lived in this area my entire life, so have seen snow every winter.

Today’s Word:
ha·ver [hey-ver]
-or-
Interesting word.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day My sister is my best friend.
Bon Festival in Japan, day to honor ancestors Sounds like a good idea for a festival. Here in the U.S., many of us don't honor our ancestors as much as we should.
Lemon Meringue Pie Day Yum! I can make a really, really good lemon meringue pie from scratch.
Relaxation Day I wish!

This Week is:
Aviation Week, 15-21 This is right up Magnum Mike's alley!

Have a great day, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-14-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 PM

51,697 posts, read 13,955,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question:
What are the largest or most impressive or famous buildings you've visited? The Empire State Building is one.

Did you feel appropriately awed or underwhelmed? Neither.

Bonus Question:

Does your weight fluctuate with the seasons? Sometimes.

Is there a food or an ingredient you or your family cooked with that is not as easily found or is no longer available?Can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Have you ever tried Indian food? No

Have you ever used a crockpot? Yes
What kinds of crockpot dishes have you made or eaten? Chili,Soup, Meatballs,Stew.

Full?
So-so?
Mostly empty?

If the power went out long enough and you had to salvage foods, tell us what you'd cook. Veggies and some salmon burgers.

What frozen desserts would need to be eaten before they melt? Names of flavors, please. I have some coconut bars that would need to be eaten.

Just for fun:

When and/or where did you last encounter snow? Last winter here where I live.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
ha·ver [hey-ver]
-or-

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Lemon Meringue Pie Day
Relaxation Day

This Week is:
Aviation Week, 15-21

Today's Picture:

Have a rockin' Thursday!

Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 PM

10,806 posts, read 5,495,126 times
Today's Question:
None, just the Corning Tower in Albany NY's Empire State Plaza
(which I posted photo of when Q about tallest buildings was asked)

Vertiginous, dizzy
Bonus Question:
Weigh more in winter because I'm even more sedentary & eat to warm up-
whereas in summer, sometimes it feels too hot out to eat at all.

Not that I'm aware of
Have you ever tried Indian food? No
Don't care for the smell,
therefore refuse to try the taste

Have you ever used a crockpot? Nope
None

Full?
So-so?
Mostly empty? X
I put the week's food trash in there so it won't stink up the apt.

then remove it each Monday for when I take out the garbage
How would I cook, if the power's gone out ?
I have no cookable food anyhow, other than soup from can or ramen noodle soup cup.
Friendly's "Nuts over Caramel" cones
Edy's strawberry frozen fruit pieces popsicle

Just for fun:
Whenever last it fell this spring
I grew up in snow, on coast of Maine-no lack of snow there-no imagination required

N/A
Today’s Word:
ha·ver [hey-ver]
-or-
Huh, never heard of that one-
have heard of "waver" which means similar thing.

Today Is:
Best Friends Day
Relaxation Day

Have a rockin' Thursday!
Thanks for the Qs, bjh.
And I wish everybody a pleasant Thursday

Last edited by cloven; 08-14-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics