Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How soon would you think its ok for Christmas-related items to be displayed & songs played?
Sometime/right after Thanksgiving 33 82.50%
Sometime/right after Halloween 3 7.50%
All bloody year long! 4 10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:14 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times

Advertisements

My friends and I agree that the time for expressing our Christmas Spirit as far as decorations, would be right after Thanksgiving!http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb203/northwoodsvoyager/Christmas-Pooh-Piglet-Tigger-Eeyore.jpg (broken link)...We thoroughly enjoy Christmas music and have been known to pop in a CD of Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas music at any time of the year. Just because! Christmas and all that goes with the celebration of Christ's Birth is the most meaningful time of the year to me.

I love the trees, the lights, the shopping for presents, the wrapping of them, the planning for family to come. The sitting quietly after wrapping presents, usually at 2 or 3 in the morning, when my son's were little critters, and contemplating the look of wonderment and surprise upon their faces later in the day. Now that they are grown and have their own families, wives and grandsons have been added to the receiving.

One more little thing...I say 'Merry Christmas', NOT 'Happy Holidays'!!!!!

I love Christmas. I love snow. I love the music. And I cry at times when I think about my childhood and my parents and my long ago Christmas's when my Daddy was overseas and I thought that the presents that said, From Daddy, had actually come from Hawaii. Silly child! Secretly, I find myself sneaking around the aisles in the stores and checking out what is now being offered. Oh, look, such a pretty ornament, or, I bet my grandson would like that! Silly woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Oh, just thought about the store decorations...Downtown St. Louis used to have the best window displays ever. It was an event to take the streetcar and spend an afternoon looking at all of the windows of the department stores and having a special lunch at one of the great restaurants. This would be with cousins and friends. Didn't care how early those windows were decorated. Just loved them.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm sick of Christmas already.

Still have pumpkins on my porch.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

lol,,, the pumpkins, well the collapsing shells of 'em, are also still on my front porch too. Will be tossed into the woods next day or so. As to Christmas, durn it, I do love the season and the spirit and the festivities and the merriment of it all, but as said in beginning, and to paraphrase Lucy "GOOD GRIEF!!!". I would just like to at least see decorations regarding Thanksgiving now - which I really don't see much at all. Its all being overwhelmed by the Christmas items...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:54 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
ShadowCaver, the pumpkins on my porch are uncarved pie pumpkins, which before the first freeze (or at the first sign of a squirrel invasion) will be sacrificed for pies, custards, breads, and such around Christmas time.

I like fall-themed decorations as well, and won't take them down until it's absolutely necessary! I love Christmas stuff, too, but it's not Christmas yet! Dammit. LOL

Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
OHHHHH, I'm sorry!! I put up 2 trees over the weekend and decorated I had to though, I got 2 huge parties coming up at my house then I'm going up north to spend a couple weeks with my family at Christmas. So I HAD to put the stuff up now!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Some squirrels were chewing ours so we threw them in the tree where they have a nest. That way, maybe they won't try to eat out of our bird feeders. We have already had a frost. I too push fall as long as possible. Especially since winter here is so doggone long, even if not severe.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Isn't Christmas shopping online boring to some of you? It doesn't feel like Christmas. The crowds and little mini-riots are always fun. It just feels great.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
We bought a new tree 2 weeks ago yay pre-lit no more this color tag in this hole!! I wasn't going to shove the box in the attic just to bring it back down again so we put it up the decorations went on this past weekend
and the xmas music channels are set on the xm radio
my musical stuffed Christmas things are all out
however the lights won't go on the house till this weekend.

We did not "do Christmas" last year because we thought we were moving so I guess I am making up for it this year.

For many years Christmas was a very difficult time of the year, lost my dad 5 days after Christmas and mom 2 years later 5 days before Christmas.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
I'm thinking if the season gets any longer I'll just leave the lights up all year and buy a fake tree to leave in the living room, I went to the mall yesterday and they were playing Christmas music but it was in spanish, I got confused and bought a taco for breakfast I don't have much to buy this year so I'll probably put it off until I can't get what I want. Thats a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics