U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How soon would you think its ok for Christmas-related items to be displayed & songs played?
Sometime/right after Thanksgiving 33 86.84%
Sometime/right after Halloween 3 7.89%
All bloody year long! 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,148,812 times

Advertisements

Ok - maybe its just me, but I really am having issues w/ Christmas presents, trees, decorations, gift wrapping, and even music being played over the store's sounds system as early as the first week, if not even earlier in some places, of November. Seems like earlier and earlier every year - yet, for some reason, this year seems even more so. Maybe cause I was in Jacksonville, FL area over the weekend of November 3rd, went into Sam's Club and there was lighted trees and such all on display, Bing Crosby singing over the speakers... Its like we went straight from trick or treat to Christmas, w/o even a pause for Thanksgiving. Christmas is cool and special and wonderful, but good freaking gosh blasted it all durn - every thing in its place people!!! Whats next - fireworks during the 4th of July in the shape of Santa, Christmas trees, and wreaths?!?!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 09:12 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,811,291 times
Well, I was moving back to Houston from Dallas, and their radio station 103.7 FM has already started playing Christmas music 24/7. Sunny 99.1 (the station that does that here in Houston) hasn't done that yet, but they have played a few songs.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:13 PM

31,279 posts, read 29,263,694 times
Thumbs up The fix is in!

There should be fewer holidays in a year or maybe just add more days between them? Except my birthday should come around more often ~ maybe twice in the 12 months.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:41 PM

13,790 posts, read 7,512,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Well, I was moving back to Houston from Dallas, and their radio station 103.7 FM has already started playing Christmas music 24/7. Sunny 99.1 (the station that does that here in Houston) hasn't done that yet, but they have played a few songs.
Yes they have started playing Christmas music and it's way earlier than I ever remember...so much earlier that it's made the local news because it's so ridiculously early!!

The New 103.7 .:. lite fm - Home

Old 11-17-2007, 09:46 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,410,796 times
There is a parking lot that already has Xmas trees up for sale just down the road from me???
They displayed them about 10 days ago....who in the heck buys a "live" Xmas tree this early??? Can you say fire hazard?!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 PM

89,898 posts, read 107,897,629 times
On Halloween Day, my hometown newspaper online had a link to look at the front page from Oct. 31, 1967, forty years ago. It showed a picture of the main street. . . with the Christmas lights up and ready to go for Nov. 1. I guess my point is the Christimas hype is not any earlier than it ever was, in my memory anyway.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:27 AM

13,391 posts, read 41,894,352 times
I can handle downtown Christmas lights on Nov 1st--especially since it is so pitiful looking at forlorn jack-o-lanterns *after* Halloween.
But it does irk me to see merchants moving all the holiday crap into the store when we haven't yet gotten through September.
I spend a lot of time cruising K-mart's garden center, and they were putting together those silly blow-up Christmas displays in September.
Here I am with my shopping cart full of plants, working my way around a blow-up Santa Claus doll, and I have not even yet decorated my porch for Halloween.
I suppose it takes time to get all that stuff together, but I think they can wait a bit.
Merchants are trying to jump-start the shopping season.
It does not stimulate me to buy--instead it is a real turn-off.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 AM

7,744 posts, read 9,225,839 times
Oh some of the stores over this way - have had Christmas stuff out for 2 months. It's to the point - As Christmas approaches, I'm worn out from it all. They push it in our faces months before....

Old 11-18-2007, 06:23 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,900,640 times
I think after Thanksgiving is soon enough for me.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:08 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,929,743 times
Everything seems to be rushed in my opinion. Just when Summer in in full swing, there putting out Back to School items.... That is the last thing I want to see in the middle of July. We like to get started on the Christmas spirit right after Thanksgiving, probably because that is our favorite holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or