U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 AM

18,434 posts, read 32,591,741 times

Advertisements

OK, last year I was at last notice with my son on science fair/project. I have been over and over with him this year, you need to come up with an idea, you need to come up with an idea.

He is now in 8th grade, and at a new school, we moved. He has a wonderful science teacher, imo.

The teacher has broken it down for the kids, this part is due by this day, this part is due by this day, etc...

So, on the nineteenth, Idea and research is due. What is the 19th? Tomorrow. He keeps saying he wants to do something on airplanes and the difference between the kinds, and how they fly.

I am thinking, there are so many different kinds of them, but once you get to your hypothesis, really, this is not a project.

Last year I think Tek helped us, I may be wrong,

We did this... we took resting pulses of everyone in the family. Recorded it. Then, played different types of music to each family member, but each member heard all of the same music.

There was me, my husband, daughter and son. Classical overall for both my daughter and myself raised our heartbeats, rock for the men.

Who can help a sista out?

The kids are with their father this weekend, and he allows no homework while they are in his presence.

I could be inclined to insert a few phrases here, but i wont.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:27 AM

How about this, its an easy one, the research would be on how the nose works, and how the mouth works.

The project would be something like lets say, when you are sick, things taste different, we know that.

So, if your nose was plugged, and you could not smell something, would it taste different, also, if a food was changed to a different consistancy, would the person be able to tell what it is?

My son is so much smarter than this...lol But he wont do things he knows he has to do dag on it!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 PM

15,370 posts, read 37,380,088 times
He could explain [by way of drawings] how Lift works on an airplane wing.....

Hubby doesnt want em to get smarter then he is

Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 AM

4,271 posts, read 14,738,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
The kids are with their father this weekend, and he allows no homework while they are in his presence.

I could be inclined to insert a few phrases here, but i wont.
WHAT?!?!?! I will say something then ... that proposterous! Homework time can be one of the best times to connect with your kids!

Okay, now on-topic:

How about the new Airbus A380? It's the largest plane ever!!

AIRBUS - A380 Reveal (http://events.airbus.com/events/a380_reveal/event/index.asp - broken link)

Although I don't know how that will turn into a science experiment instead of just a book report!

Sigh ... sorry cinder, I like to be helpful but I'm sometimes I'm not!

Oh, have you tried doing a search on google? "Plane science projects search or something?

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM

28,778 posts, read 44,801,005 times
Cinderobyn,

I started a reply on my other computer and got sidetracked. I'll get up there a little later and finish it.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM

28,778 posts, read 44,801,005 times
Lost the post. Sometimes I hate computers!

Aircraft:

Lots of interesting things.

Did you know the wings have to flex up and down or they'll break off?

They are experimenting with wings that flex in the horizontal plane (no pun intended) instead of using flaps?

There are solar powered airplanes.

Wings come in different configurations: Straight, Delta, Forward Angle, some rotate from straight to delta.

The Spruce Goose!!!!

Burt Rutan makes some really beautiful planes: Welcome to Rutan Aircraft Website

Experimental: List of experimental aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weird: Unreal Aircraft - Weird Wings

Future: THE FUTURE AIRPLANES

There is so much about planes that is interesting I would think the tough part is picking an area to focus on!

How about trains? Their history, evolution and downfall. Did you know that the railroad companies actually carried supplies to the companies building the roads that replaced the trains?

That a tire company bought street car companies and paved over the tracks so they could sell more tires?

That if goods were transported using train instead of trucks prices would drop and pollution would drop with them?

That Highway deaths would decrease and the cost to maintain the railroad tracks would be far less than it costs to maintain roads because of the weight and stress placed on them by large trucks?

Just a thought...

Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 PM

Will show him the list, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics