U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,191,542 times

Advertisements

Come on! You KNOW you got 'em! A tale or two, a weird pic, something funny... stories you've heard, memories from childhood... something your kid/s did on Halloween... I want to hear them all! Every last detail!

I double dog dare ya!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 03:18 PM

15,184 posts, read 15,703,727 times
Okay, how about this;

I have a friend who lives in an oldish (late 18th Century) cottage in a lovely position though close to a busy back road in Wiltshire.

My friend is very level headed and has no reason to tell me anything that is not true.

She told me of an incident a few years ago. It started with her seeing an apparition which was a young girl who was upset and crying. That was spooky enough for me but apparently this girl- ghost- call it what you will- told my friend that something horrible was about to happen.

A few days later my friend was in her front reception room on the sofa located in the bay window area right at the front of the house.

The girl came rushing in and shouted 'Get out NOW!'

My friend jumped up and ran out of the room.

At that moment an Army truck (it's a big military area round there) came off the road on the bend and straight through the wall and window where she had been sitting.

You can believe as much or as little as you like about that, but wait- there's more!

Last year my friend had a surveyor come round to check a couple of things out. Also present was another of my friends- someone who was my best man. It was he who told me about the follow up.

My two friends went off to the garden and when they came back into the house the surveyor had gone sheet white.

He had been in that sitting room doing some measuring when a women walked through one wall, walked across the room, and walked through another.

I'm not one to readily believe these stories and there are many many hoaxers out there, but I have no reason to doubt the validity of these encounters.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:44 PM

11,479 posts, read 7,832,415 times
the zombies were having fun
the party had just begun

Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 AM

19,285 posts, read 6,985,586 times

Old 10-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Jezer I believe you and your friends!

I do believe that ghosts are real because they are in the Bible.
I also believe that many "ghosts" are spirits of a different kind because they too are mentioned in the Bible, and we are told to NOT call them up. (An no, for all you imps out there, I'm not talking about the phone!!! LOL)
And sometimes I believe that what some folks think may be a ghost is actually an angel... in one form or another. And there are many different kinds of angels.

So a big thank you Jezer for sharing your friends' stories with us. I find them and other stories like these so interesting because of our home where I grew up.

F.2 ~~~ Thank you for the vid!!! I always play that in October and definitely on Halloween!

Bay, I LOVE THE JACK~~Lantern!!! Awesome!!! Thank you so much!!!

I've got many, many stories I can tell you about the house I grew up in, in Florida. Our house was actually quite famous in our neighborhood/surrounding areas, and still is.

After all of us kids were grown and on our own, and my Dad had passed, my Mama sold the house and moved to the Carolinas.

She did not reveal what/who was left behind in that house to the new owners, who also had 2 young children. They were not happy to make the discovery... and I am sorry for them about that. I'm sorry that they were afraid, that their kids were so frightened that they eventually moved in with their grandmother, refusing to live in my old home anymore. These folks eventually sold the home to another family. They stayed a few years, then sold it to another family with older children. As far as I know, they are still there. Some of this info I recently received from an old neighbor, along with a few corrections in certain events and timing after we'd moved.

In our house, before it was ours, was an older couple who never had kids. They had the home built and was the 3rd home in the brand newfangled neighborhood. The home was quite old you see. We don't have a lot of info but for the city records and such.

Well, I'll try to make this short. Try! LOL

"Oscar" lived in our house long before we did. We all believe he was the original owner. My Dad didn't believe it for years because he just refused to admit that Oscar was real. But we kids saw him often. Mama did too, which totally went against everything she believed, and had the home "blessed" many times in the effort to oust Oscar.

But I'll tell you a short story... my introduction to Oscar.

I was a newborn. The last of the kids in our family. My Dad was a fireman and worked 24/48 shifts... and also a second job. I had 2 older sisters and an older brother.
My brother and I were born 18 months apart and shared a bedroom where my crib was. This is on the 2nd floor, and down the hall at the opposite end from my parents room. (The house was almost 4000 sq. ft.) My Mama kept a bassinette in their bedroom.
When my Dad was working my Mama would have me sleep in the crib at night. When Dad was home I slept in the bassinette. The reason for this is because Mama said I had my days and nights mixed up and she was trying to get me to sleep at night. Dad wouldn't allow me to cry myself to sleep when he was home, and would insist that I sleep in their room.
(trying to make this easy to understand)
So one evening when Mama had put me down for the night, I was doing my usual protest but she decided that she would tough it out and so would I. She was in her room listening to me cry on and on when quite suddenly I quit. She thought it odd, the way I'd just stopped crying. So she came to my bedroom and stopped dead at the door. There standing over my crib was Oscar. Mama said I was cooing at him and he was smiling. The he turned and looked at my Mama with a very disapproving look. Mama said she was shocked in horror... to see this "THING' as she called him, standing there over her 3 month old baby.... So she screamed at him to get away from me and she dashed in as he looked so sadly at her. She snatched me up and she never left me alone to cry myself to sleep in my crib again. I was nearly a year old before she and Dad put the crib back in my room after I'd outgrown the bassinette in their room.

This is not a story that my Mama likes to talk about. She still doesn't like to discuss Oscar, even though he was very much a part of our lives. I also think that it wasn't just the memories of Dad that she couldn't stand living with in that house. I honestly think she was afraid to live there alone.

There are many, many stories of Oscar. Other folks who've seen him whilst visiting us... but over the years folks who could deal with Oscar just didn't think much about it. Those who were too afraid, and there were quite a few who were.. well, they either didn't stay long when they'd visit, or they just plain didn't come over at all.

Oh, and if you are wondering about the name... My oldest sister Terri did. She just said it fit him. LOL

And if you are wondering what he looked like???

He wasn't a very large man at all... but very dapper! He was about 5'7" or 8". VERY slender with deep red hair trimmed nicely around the ears. He had very kind eyes... and freckles, and sometimes you could swear he was laughing at you. His clothing never changed either, except that sometimes he wore a dark green fedora with a yellow feather in it. His suit was 3 piece, and a plaid green with brown lace up shoes. I've always believed he was Irish, because it just "felt" right.
And since it is so hard to write about things like this and keep it short, I'll stop here.
If you want more stories of Oscar, just ask.

Have a happy Fall kind of day!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Wow- that's an interesting one Ruby!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM

114,776 posts, read 60,279,508 times

Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 AM

Have a look at this, and you can follow up on other links to stories about this pub which is close to where I used to live.

Avebury itself is well worth a visit and I prefer it to the much younger Stonehenge, a few miles further south;

The Red Lion Pub, Avebury, England

Old 10-21-2013, 06:16 AM

I thought this was cool beans!!! Enjoy!

Halloween Light Show 2013- The Fox (What Does the Fox Say) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics