Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you put up a Christmas tree?
Thanksgiving night... 3 3.66%
Day after Thanksgiving... 25 30.49%
First week in December.... 19 23.17%
About two weeks before Christmas... 18 21.95%
Christmas Eve... 2 2.44%
Don't put up a tree... 6 7.32%
Other ... 8 9.76%
Keep up a Christmas Tree year-round!!!!.... 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,411,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I usually like to put one up almost as soon as the Thanksgiving dishes are cleared away! I'm exaggerating a little, but not much! My husband kind of prefers to "enjoy the Thanksgiving week-end" before we head into Christmas! It's my understanding that years ago people didn't put up the tree until Christmas Eve. And of course, with artificial trees, you obviously might put them up sooner because they are not going to dry out before Christmas.
So, CD ers...when do you typically put up a tree if you do?

(I'm only putting up my pre-lit table top tree this year, but I will have lots of other Christmas garland and decorations too! I will probably do it very soon after Thanksgiving...)
I put my tree up on November 1st or on Halloween Night after all the festivities are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,202,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I love the big fat ones, they look so much nicer. To me, that is what a christmas tree should be. I dont care for the skinny ones either.
Me too. I always equate the skinny ones with a Charlie brown tree. They are so sad looking. I am suffering with my sorta slender tree. But you better believe I am keeping my eye out for a nice fat one next year.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,591,266 times
About a week before Christmas and I am really picky with my tree. It has to be tall but fat with big needles and I taste the needles before buying to check it is fresh ( needles must have sap). I love the Blue Norwegian Spruce.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM

641 posts, read 2,367,296 times
I aint gettin a tree this year. No time and my life sucks too bad to care. I usually get a real one in the first week of December

Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,821,682 times
Smile couple of days before

I put if off until the last possible day,,,,usually about 2 or 3 days before Christmas. Then I leave it up for a week before taking it down.

This is not the time of year to feel that life sucks. I’ve felt that way before and then found someone worst off then me. I started feeling much better after that.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,239,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I aint gettin a tree this year. No time and my life sucks too bad to care. I usually get a real one in the first week of December
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I put if off until the last possible day,,,,usually about 2 or 3 days before Christmas. Then I leave it up for a week before taking it down.

This is not the time of year to feel that life sucks. I’ve felt that way before and then found someone worst off then me. I started feeling much better after that.
I think a lot of people feel that way this time of year. I think maybe we "notice" it more this time of year, too, because there is the "expectation" that we are to be happy, ya know?

Putting up a tree and decorating usually lifts my spirits, however. (but hey, I'm kinda into those kind of things.)

Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,619,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I love the big fat ones, they look so much nicer. To me, that is what a christmas tree should be. I dont care for the skinny ones either.
I use to get the biggggest and the fattest......haul it up by a rope into the loft. Lots of people involved.
Now that we are older and I gave up the cathedral ceilings.......I have started to like the leaner trees.
What a change that was. Sometimes its hard when I see the tree I would have gotten years back, just sitting there........staring at me.
But, I move onward.......
I keep telling myself, lean and tall......almost skinny, but full.
You know what, I seem to like them just as much....and they are a lot less work. No longer does it take the two of us to haul it up and down.....or the work of getting it into the holder. Simple, quick and charming.
I no longer hear " gosh, did you get the Penney's tree?" Or other " Whew, where did you get that?" But, I love now that it is just as pretty, but in smaller proportions. Its a joy that it is easier..........and it fits so well in the area I have chosen. I'm perfectly fine with the smaller tree.....and all is good.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,534,911 times
I just heard on the CBS news that a 100 foot tree, fully decorated, costs 100,000 dollars!! !!!
How can any intelligent person not be thoroughly disgusted by that!

Old 11-15-2009, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,682 times
I'd say 2 weeks before christmas so as to enjoy it longer to compensate the trouble for setting it up.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,568,913 times
Black Friday when I get home from shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics