Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:23 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday March 12, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ?
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ?

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ?
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ?
Have you used a level, to find a flat/straight line ?
Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ?

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ?
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ?

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ?
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ?

Today in History:
1928: Failure and collapse of the St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system
1948: Birth of singer-songwriter & guitarist James Taylor (Your Smiling Face)
1960: Birth of actor Courtney B. Vance (Law & Order: CI)
1961: Birth of actor Titus Welliver (Bosch)
1968: Birth of actor Aaron Eckhart (Erin Brockovich)
1992: The Indian Ocean island nation of Mauritius becomes a republic
2011: The day after an earthquake & tsunami, Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant suffers catastrophic radioactive leak

Today’s Word:
cohort /ˈkōˌhôrt/ (n.): Category or class of people grouped by a shared demographic characteristic-
can also refer to a colleague, co-worker.

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Day
Napping Day
Arbor Day (China & Taiwan)

-this week is-
National Agriculture Week
Shakespeare Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top right & lower left-

Thought for the Day:
“Fairytales are about trouble, about getting into it and out of it, and trouble seems to be a necessary stage on the route of becoming."
-Rebecca Solnit

Wishing all y’all a day in which you adapt to the bizarre time change, if your location participates in this twice-a-year-nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ? Coffee pot.
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? Computer.

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ? Soap.
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ? Big safe w/combination lock. The numbers are locked up inside.
Have you used a level, to find a flat/straight line ? Many times.

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ? Teeth.
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? Toothbrush.

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ? Have in the past, pretty much covered my ancestry back to the 1500's.
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ? Me & several other relatives, we all worked together.

Tanks cloven.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ? Coffee pot
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? Lights.

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ? Dog treats.
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ? Both ...at least one of each.

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ? Teeth and dishes
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? Soap water..

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ?
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ?

Today in History:
1928: Failure and collapse of the St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system
2011: The day after an earthquake & tsunami, Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant suffers catastrophic radioactive leak

Today’s Word:
cohort /ˈkōˌhôrt/ (n.): Category or class of people grouped by a shared demographic characteristic-

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Day
Napping Day

-this week is-
Shakespeare Week

Thought for the Day:
“Fairytales are about trouble, about getting into it and out of it, and trouble seems to be a necessary stage on the route of becoming."
-Rebecca Solnit

Wishing all y’all a day in which you adapt to the bizarre time change, if your location participates in this twice-a-year-nonsense
Thanks Cloven!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:22 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
[quote=cloven;51281323]Happy Monday March 12, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up?
The coffeemaker.
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ?
I turned the phone's ringer off and turn the answering machine volume down to 0 so we don't hear it during the night.
Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week?
My water bottle.
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other?
There's a small lock and key for my jewelry box, but I've never locked it. I also have a padlock that I take to the gym when I go swimming in the pool.
Have you used a level, to find a flat/straight line?
Yes, I have.
With a level? I didn't know there was such a thing. We have an old Texas Instruments scientific calculator from the 1970s.
Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort)?
Coffee pot.
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ?
I have a device with metal teeth that I use to clean hairbrushes.
Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries)?
No, but I've done some amateur sleuthing on the internet. On Find a Grave, I found a photo of the grave of my aunt, who died very young during the 1919 influenza epidemic. I also posted a photo and short biography of my grandmother on her Find a Grave page.
My dad's cousin once put together a family tree for that side of the family, but it was in the 1970s before the internet (as we know it) existed.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 03-12-2018, 03:00 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ?
- My computer
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? - The computer

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ?
- On Saturday I refilled my water container.

Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other - No

Have you used a level, to find a flat/straight line ? - Nope

Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ? - Last week

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ?
- Small brush to clean my electric razor

What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? - Cleaning brush will be soap and water.

Just for Fun:
- Not really interested.

If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ? - One of my cousin's wife is into genealogy.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:36 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ? Microwave
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? Range

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ? Fruit supply
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ? Combinaton Lock with Key
Have you used a level, to find a flat/straight line ? Yes
Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ? No

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ? Teeth
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? Peroxide

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ? No
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ? Yes

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Day
Napping Day
-this week is-
Shakespeare Week

Old 03-12-2018, 05:41 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Happy A"mazing" Monday--oh, that maze looks tricky!

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ? My Nepresso machine
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? My MacBook Pro

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ? refill my gas tank for the week!
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ? My locker at work--padlock with key
Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ? I used the calculator yesterday

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ? My teeth, toothbrush
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? Soapy water

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ? No, but it sounds interesting. My Uncle did a bit of a Family Tree going back a few Generations. Interesting reading it.
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ? See above. It was just a small amount of time he did it.

Today in History:
1948: Birth of singer-songwriter & guitarist James Taylor (Your Smiling Face) Love him! Going to plug him into my car today and listen to him!
2011: The day after an earthquake & tsunami, Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant suffers catastrophic radioactive leak[/b][/color]

Today’s Word:
My job we call them co hearts

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Day A bit too cold yet. Farmers here suggest it is safe after Mother's Day to plant. I do look forward to that.
Napping Day

-this week is-
National Agriculture Week Thank you Farmers!
Shakespeare Week

Thought for the Day:
-Rebecca Solnit Interesting!

Wishing all y’all a day in which you adapt to the bizarre time change, if your location participates in this twice-a-year-nonsense Yes the nonsense. It makes it more difficult for me to go to bed when it is still light outside at 7:30pm.

Have a super duper day!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ? Electric Percolator Coffee Pot
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? T.V.

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ? File folders,
paper, printer cartridge

Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ? No
Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ? Never

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ? Work:My muddy shoes after measuring houses
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? Hot water and another old brush in the laundry sink

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ? Not an enthusiast, but interested
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ? My uncle did extensive research on our family history, translated my grandfather's notes written in Polish, and put it all together in binders for all of us.

Today in History:
1928: Failure and collapse of the St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles Aqueduct system ?
1948: Birth of singer-songwriter & guitarist James Taylor (Your Smiling Face) I've not liked him since I saw him on t.v. singing "You Have a Friend Now" with his head hanging down, for John Carey (yes, I'm opinionated)
1960: Birth of actor Courtney B. Vance (Law & Order: CI) ?
1961: Birth of actor Titus Welliver (Bosch) ?
1968: Birth of actor Aaron Eckhart (Erin Brockovich) ?
1992: The Indian Ocean island nation of Mauritius becomes a republic ?
2011: The day after an earthquake & tsunami, Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant suffers catastrophic radioactive leak ?

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Daycan't wait to plant my petunias
Napping Day Maybe a short one
Arbor Day (China & Taiwan) We plant trees in our area on Arbor Day
-this week is-
National Agriculture Week We were farmers, full time, year-round
Shakespeare Week Wish I was well versed

No problem with the time change, we adjusted

Thanks Cloven

Last edited by rdlr; 03-12-2018 at 06:07 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 06:12 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ?...........Usually the tv so I watch the news.
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ?..............Tv, I’m a news junkie.

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ?.............Toilet paper.
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ?..........We have several things that have the punch code locking system.
Have you used a level, to find a flat/straight line ?...............Yes
Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ?............I used it a few days ago.

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ?..............I use my toothbrush several times a day.
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ?...............I clean my potato brush by putting it in the dishwasher.

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ? ...............I don’t have the patience to do the research.
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ?..............I have a friend who is researching my mom’s family. Her husband and I are related.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Day
Napping Day

-this week is-
Shakespeare Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top right & lower left-

Thought for the Day:
-Rebecca Solnit

Old 03-12-2018, 06:19 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times

Today’s Question:
What is the first device or appliance you turn on, when you get up ? My stove
What is the last one you shut off, at end of day ? I turn the lights and bathroom fan off

Extra Credit:
What is something you had/have to refill, restock, or reorder this week ? My sugar and flour container
Do you have a locked box or locking container-if so, is it a combination lock, padlock with key, or other ? No I do not
Can you recall the last time you used a calculator/app with that feature ? I used a calculator past week but not with that feature (level)

Bonus:
What is something you clean using a brush (of any sort) ? I use a special brush for cleaning pots,glasses.I also have a shoe brush for brown and black shoes as well I use old toothbrushes for cleaning shoes,dirty bike chain,very useful in the car. Little hand brush or old toothbrush are great for removing hair and lint from the hairbrush
What is something you clean a brush (of whichever kind) itself with ? Sunlight liquid dish detergent and warm water and afterwards cold water

Just for Fun:
Are you an enthusiast of researching genealogy (family history across the centuries) ? Unfortunately I am not motivated enough to do all that research but I am definitely interested
If you’re not into that, do you have a relative who does keep track of such material ? From my mother's side someone did years ago research dating back to the first generation around 1747 Kulm (Culm)/West Prussia.At that time the province of West Prussia did not exist until 1772. Before that, West Prussia with Kulm was part of Poland and was referred to as "Polish Prussia". My father's side was/is scattered as well in West Prussia,Hungary,Austria,Bavaria and Rhodesia.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Plant A Flower Day........wild daisies
Napping Day.............sounds like a good plan
-this week is-
Shakespeare Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at top right & lower left-..........thank you for the maze cloven

Thought for the Day:
-Rebecca Solnit

Thank you cloven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics