U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 AM

18,516 posts, read 6,382,537 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
What habits would you like to break?
Staying up too late is my worst habit.
Any habits you'd like to develop?
Getting up earlier.

Bonus Questions:
Have you ever successfully turned over a new leaf - breaking or starting a habit?
Yes, I finally quit smoking in my early 30s after many failed attempts.

Foodie Questions:
Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing?
What cake frosting flavors do you like?
I make my own chocolate frosting, and I also make royal icing for the British Christmas cake I bake every year as a gift for my London-born hair stylist.

What's the most unusual restaurant you've heard of or visited?
Dinner at the Space Needle in Seattle was pretty unusual. Nice view from up there, and the restaurant revolves so the view is constantly changing.

I've also visited a middle-Eastern restaurant in San Francisco where diners sit on cushions in a room draped with fabric and eat from huge platters with their hands. (I am left-handed, and had to sit on my left hand to keep myself from using it, because in Middle Eastern culture the left hand is supposed to be associated with elimination and thus unclean.)

If you've ever eaten any wild grown foods, what kinds?
My mother and my mother-in-law both had gardens and fruit trees, and I've eaten foods that they picked fresh or canned.

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What'll you have?
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, green peas or green beans, biscuits with butter and honey, rice pudding for dessert.

Just for fun:
When and where have you slept on a sofa?
I sometimes take naps on my sofa, and when I'm sick, I will spend a lot of time stretched out on the sofa with a pillow and a fuzzy blankie, dozing and watching TV.

Do you have a sofa bed?
No

Thanks, bjh!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-07-2013 at 01:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:02 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,775,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Welcome to our daily habit.

Today's Questions:
What habits would you like to break? Too much coffee, tossing clothes onto a heap on the bedroom floor.

Any habits you'd like to develop? Drink more water. Powerwalk a lot more.

Bonus Questions:
Have you ever successfully turned over a new leaf - breaking or starting a habit? Yes, when I stopped smoking.

Foodie Questions:
Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing? Not that I remember.
What cake frosting flavors do you like? Chocolate, butter cream.

What's the most unusual restaurant you've heard of or visited? In southern Oregon there is a restaurant that serves exotic meats (kangaroo, antelope...). I don't think I've eaten at anywhere unusual, although I realize that any people don't like Ethiopian food.

If you've ever eaten any wild grown foods, what kinds? Hmmmm....

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What'll you have? Man o man, that would really depend on my mood. If it has a good breakfast menu I may go for that ~ especially if they make their own waffles.

Just for fun:
When and where have you slept on a sofa? I sleep on my own once in a while.

Do you have a sofa bed? No. I did once and never will again (too heavy).
Have a good Thursday.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 AM

16,504 posts, read 14,095,080 times

~ Many.

~ Nope. Because then it would be a habit.

Have you ever successfully turned over a new leaf - breaking or starting a habit?

~ In 1979 I began crushing all aluminum cans that were empty and I formed the Beer Benders Advocates. Many members were recruited, all taking the oath to bend every can they drink out of for the rest of their life.
The reason? Because I had discovered that so many people have had the awful experience of picking up a can and drinking out of it - only to find that someone had put their cigarette ashes/butt in it.
I have kept my oath and crushed all cans since that summer of 1979.

Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing? ~ Nope. We're quite happy with the one's in the market.

~ Many, but chocolate, vanilla and lemon are the tops.

~ Hambuger Choo Choo, where my grandmother worked, in Huntington, N.Y., where you sit at the counter and your food plates arrive to you on an electric train.

~ All sorts of berries, roots, nuts, oranges, pears, plums, apples....to name some.

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What you have?

~ I would like the hamburger deluxe, please. What's that? You're out of burgers? Well, okay....I'll have the jumbo fried shrimp dinner, please!

~ Ughhh....I came from those days......I've slept on many sofas and floors. Oh, the shame!

Do you have a sofa bed?

~ I used to. It was beautiful. Ich bin der chrome dinette!

I am the heaven
I am the water
Ich bin der Dreck unter deinen Walzen
(Oh no, whip it on me, honey!)
Ich bin dein geheimer Schmutz
Und verlorenes Metallgeld
(Metallgeld)
Ich bin deine Ritze
Ich bin deine Ritze und Schlitze

I am the clouds
I am embroidered
Ich bin der Autor aller Felgen
Und Damast Paspeln
Ich bin der Chrome Dinette
Ich bin der Chrome Dinette
Ich bin Eier aller Arten

Ich bin alle Tage und Nachte
Ich bin alle Tage und Nachte

Ich bin hier (AIEE-AH!)
Und du bist mein Sofa
Ich bin hier (AIEE-AH!)
Und du bist mein Sofa
Ich bin hier (AIEE-AH!)
Und du bist mein Sofa

Yeah-ha-ha-ay
Yah-ha
Yeah, my Sofa
Yeah-ha-hey

*** Thanks for the fun questions and may this week bring us all good things! ***

Last edited by rainroosty; 11-07-2013 at 01:30 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 01:48 AM

33,454 posts, read 18,516,767 times
Today's Questions:
What habits would you like to break? Eating sweets more often than I should.

Any habits you'd like to develop? I already walk daily for exercise. Maybe increase the duration once the weather warms up again and we're back on Daylight Saving Time so I can take after-dinner walks.

Bonus Questions:
Have you ever successfully turned over a new leaf - breaking or starting a habit? I broke the daily diet soda habit about 3 years ago. I lost almost 20 pounds as a result. (Yes, even diet soda is fattening! )

Foodie Questions:
Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing? My mom and sisters have.
What cake frosting flavors do you like? Chocolate and cream cheese.

What's the most unusual restaurant you've heard of or visited? I've heard of a restaurant where people go and eat while dressed in their pajamas. There's also a Caribbean restaurant near where I live but I've never been there nor do I know what kind of food they serve.

If you've ever eaten any wild grown foods, what kinds? Some kind of berries (not sure what they were, but they were safe to eat and delicious, too).

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What'll you have? A cheeseburger with french fries and a chocolate milk shake.

Just for fun:
When and where have you slept on a sofa? Here at my house last year at this time when I was battling a case of insomnia. For some reason, I couldn't sleep in my room, so I went to the sofa in the living room and found myself drifting off.

Do you have a sofa bed? No.

Have a great Thursday, whatever you have planned.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:03 AM

51,697 posts, read 13,953,789 times
Quote:

Today's Questions:
What habits would you like to break? Stop cracking my knuckles.

Any habits you'd like to develop? Walk more.

Bonus Questions:
Have you ever successfully turned over a new leaf - breaking or starting a habit? I quit smoking back in 1977.

Foodie Questions:
Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing? No. Don't buy/eat a lot of cake.
What cake frosting flavors do you like? Chocolate.

What's the most unusual restaurant you've heard of or visited? Can't think of one at the moment.

If you've ever eaten any wild grown foods, what kinds? Just berries.

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What'll you have? A turkey or veggie burger with fries.

Just for fun:
When and where have you slept on a sofa? The last time I slept on a sofa was last night in my living room.

Do you have a sofa bed? No.

Today in History:
1665 The London Gazette, the oldest surviving journal, first published
1805 Lewis and Clark Expedition sighted the Pacific Ocean for the first time
1885 Canadian Pacific Railway done - Montreal, Quebec to Port Moody, British Columbia, 2,980 miles
1910 1st air freight shipment from Dayton, Ohio, to Columbus, Ohio undertaken by the Wright Brothers
1916 Jeannette Rankin became the first woman elected to the US Congress
1940 Original Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapsed in a windstorm, a mere four months after completion
1965 Pillsbury Doughboy, 'Poppin' Fresh,' made his debut in a commercial for crescent rolls
1990 Mary Robinson became the first woman to be elected President of the Republic of Ireland

Today's Quote:
“Great joy in camp. We are in view of the ocean, this great Pacific Ocean which we been so long anxious to see.
And the roreing or noise made by the waves brakeing on the rockey shores (as I suppose) may be heard distinctly.”
~~William Clark, explorer

Today’s Word:
in·trep·id [in-trep-id] adjective
resolutely fearless; dauntless: example: an intrepid explorer

Today Is:
Bittersweet Chocolate w/Almonds Day
National Gin Day (hiccup)
Men Make Dinner Day
--recipes included --->National Men Make Dinner Day™

This Week is:
Dear Santa Letter Week, 7-13
Pursuit of Happiness Week, 7-13

Today's Picture:
Hope your autumn is mighty fine! (Kobber will have to wait a while.)
Thanks,bjh,right back at ya.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 AM

122,238 posts, read 15,676,773 times
Today's Questions: Thursday 07 November 2013

Today's Questions:
What habits would you like to break?Many

Bonus Questions:
Have you ever successfully turned over a new leaf - breaking or starting a habit?Yes I stopped eating cold cuts long ago and have a healthy eating regiment since 25 years

Foodie Questions:
Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing? Yes all the time from scratch
What cake frosting flavors do you like?German chocolate or vanilla cake frosting that is cooked on top of the stove and put on the Torte,lemon or rum icing

If you've ever eaten any wild grown foods, what kinds?berries,(Pfifferling long ago in Germany) chanterelle,mango in India (amazing just to plug it and eat it ,Italian plums,apples,pears,cherries,walnuts and chestnuts

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What'll you have?I love my authentic Fish and chips in beer batter ...there is a habit I broke

Just for fun:
When and where have you slept on a sofa?Sometimes I can't sleep so I come down in our den and sit on the sofa,look outside,listen to music,have something to drink and fall asleep right on our comfy sofa

Do you have a sofa bed?We used to but gave it to our son when he moved in his own apartment

Today in History:
1885 Canadian Pacific Railway done - Montreal, Quebec to Port Moody, British Columbia, 2,980 miles
1910 1st air freight shipment from Dayton, Ohio, to Columbus, Ohio undertaken by the Wright Brothers
1940 Original Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapsed in a windstorm, a mere four months after completion
1965 Pillsbury Doughboy, 'Poppin' Fresh,' made his debut in a commercial for crescent rolls
1990 Mary Robinson became the first woman to be elected President of the Republic of Ireland

Today's Quote:
“Great joy in camp. We are in view of the ocean, this great Pacific Ocean which we been so long anxious to see.
And the roreing or noise made by the waves brakeing on the rockey shores (as I suppose) may be heard distinctly.”

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Men Make Dinner Day

This Week is:

Have a great day all Thank you!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM

2,979 posts, read 4,486,647 times
Today's Questions:
What habits would you like to break? Working to many hours

Any habits you'd like to develop? Play more; do more things for fun.

Bonus Questions:
I stoped biting my nails as a kid.

Foodie Questions:
Have you or yours ever made your own cake frosting or icing? Yes
What cake frosting flavors do you like? chocolate, vanilla, lemon and coconut are the top 4

What's the most unusual restaurant you've heard of or visited? Nothing comes to mind

If you've ever eaten any wild grown foods, what kinds? dandilion greens, blackberries, grapes, loquats

You get to have a meal at a traditional diner. What'll you have? meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread

Just for fun:
When and where have you slept on a sofa? Lots of naps on it

Do you have a sofa bed? yes, most uncomfortable thing in the house!

Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 AM

2,599 posts, read 1,373,350 times
Indeed!

Today's Questions:

Fear!!! and Panic

Confidence!

Bonus Questions:

I stopped eating popcorn - for a week
Foodie Questions:

not uet
vanilla

McDonald in Germany

roasted pork chops and rice
Just for fun:
couple of tears ago

Do you have a sofa bed?
no

This Week is:

Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,439,427 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Questions:
Procrastination is my worst.

I really hate exercise, but I understand why I should do it.

Bonus Questions:
Probably somewhere along the line, but it wasn't the life-changing kind, so I can't remember what it was.

Foodie Questions:
I have recently started making my own chocolate frosting, yes.
Mostly cream cheese, or sour cream. Vanilla is the best, but chocolate will do if it's for yellow cake.

I've heard of restaurants in Japan with a toilet theme. You sit on a toilet, and food is served in little tabletop sized toilets, but I've never been there, so I've never eaten at one. Actually, I can't say I'd eat at one even if I went to Japan.

Many...berries, grapes, asparagus, nasturtiums, morel mushrooms, probably others.

Cheese omelette, crispy hash browns with onions, and toast with butter and blackberry preserves.

Just for fun:
Many times and several places. When I lived alone, I slept in the bed until I got the futon (I didn't have a couch). After that, that is where I slept for the remaining two years that I lived there. I didn't pull it out, I just slept on top of it like a couch. Now, I nap on the couch quite frequently. I'm just not much of a bed sleeper. Never have been.

Do you have a sofa bed?
No

Today in History:

Today's Quote:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Men Make Dinner Day

This Week is:

Today's Picture:
Hope your autumn is mighty fine! (Kobber will have to wait a while.)

Thanx for the Qs bjh, and the fun photo.
The weekend is almost here everyone! Have a good Thursday!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:02 AM

9,923 posts, read 7,273,373 times
Hello all,

Quote:

Today's Questions:

A) Cut down on sweets
B) Walk more

Quote:
I kicked a close to 30 year soda habit on November 26, 1992. With the exception of a very occasional Sprite or 7UP I no longer drink them. It may sound silly but I was proud of myself for doing so.

Quote:
Never made but white is my favorite. Chocolate is good too.

Quote:
N/A

Quote:
I regularly buy organic blueberries and strawberries.
I also frequent salad bars. Not sure if my answers fit.

Quote:
If Dinner: Salmon, fresh vegetables.
Breakfast: French Toast, eggs over hard, homemade potato's.

Quote:
I do not think I ever did that.

Quote:
Do you have a sofa bed?
I don't even have a sofa.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by John13; 11-07-2013 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics