U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:09 PM

6,335 posts, read 5,981,218 times

Advertisements

Why are Larks (people who easily get up early and are most productive in the a.m.) so snotty about us Owls (people who are sharpest and most productive later in the day).

I spent last night painting the basement. I finished at 2:00 a.m. I was energetic and happy.

However, today it is now 1 p.m., and my neighbor just came over to see the basement and was snarky about the fact that I hadn't started working on anything yet today and that I worked so late last night. SHE got up at 5:00 a.m. and took her morning walk, and all of her housework is done before 10:00 a.m., blah blah blah. She said that the reason I can't get up early and be productive is because I stay up so late.

I say that people are just wired differently, and getting one's work or exercise or whatever done at midnight is just as fine as getting it done before noon.

So, SHUT UP, LARKS!

(This post isn't about my neighbor, who I like very much, but about larks in general).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 PM

143 posts, read 221,728 times
I agree. I held a FT job that didn't start 'til later in the day but still felt weird about telling people I didn't wake up until like 9 A.M. even though I worked 'til 11 P.M.

Last edited by thisorthat; 11-16-2013 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM

17,416 posts, read 9,373,118 times
I understand. I'm an owl too and have worked from 3pm to 1130 pm for over 20 years. I've always felt better at night since I was a young child.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM

41,918 posts, read 16,665,162 times
I'm hard-wired to be a night owl. Unfortunately, my present job requires my getting up at 5:50 or 6 a.m. I hate that! When 10:30 or 11 p.m. rolls around, I'm just getting my second wind. But I usually manage to force myself to go to bed at a decent time.

Many early risers seem to think it's a character flaw when people sleep in late. What's it to them, though? I'll bet most of them take naps at least occasionally. I never take naps. As long as I get about 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep in, I'm good to go all day and well into the evening.

If I didn't have to get up early for work, there's no way I'd do it. I'd be up till at least midnight every night.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM

18,480 posts, read 6,373,097 times
I'm an Owl, too, but luckily I am married to a fellow Owl. We both worked swing shift hours for most of our careers, and even in retirement we find it difficult to get to sleep before 3 am or get up before 11.

It does seem as if Larks consider themselves to be superior and see us Owls as lazy and unproductive because we sleep late. I try not to let that bother me.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 PM

12,538 posts, read 13,513,825 times
Tell your snooty neighbor that things like this are genetically determined.

So You Are A 'Nightowl'? The After-hours Gene Might Be The Reason Why

As you might guess, I'm a night owl. Always have been. Fortunately, most of the jobs I've had offered flex-time, so I could work 10-6 and not have to get up until 8:30.

But I did have a couple of jobs where bosses were more concerned with butts being in seats than productivity. A few years of that, and finally I said "oh, heck with this," quit, went into business for myself, and now work 10-6 again, only now, because I work at home, I don't roll out of bed until 9:00!

Thing is, I often work late into the night, especially if I'm writing. The other night I was working until 4:00 a.m. Will probably be writing late again tonight. Probably until about 1:00.

As for larks thinking we're slackers because we sleep late, just tell 'em they have no stamina because they go to bed early. Next time you go out, say, "Hey, we're going to be out past 8:30. Do you think you should take a little 'disco nap' this afternoon so you can stay out with the big kids?"

Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,703,894 times
Owl here, too, though the way I look at it, I'm just an owl here where I live now... since I must be up earlier than some in another timezone on this planet, so I may just be living in the wrong timezone of where I ought to be, to be referred to as a lark!

Hey, logic is as logic does!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,195,567 times
I'm an owl. Hate it if I have a job that starts early as I still can't go to sleep early so I just end up sleeping far too little. But now I have it great, SAHM with a kid who is also an owl so we stay up late and sleep in late

Old 11-20-2013, 03:39 AM

45,250 posts, read 64,728,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Owl here, too, though the way I look at it, I'm just an owl here where I live now... since I must be up earlier than some in another timezone on this planet, so I may just be living in the wrong timezone of where I ought to be, to be referred to as a lark!

Hey, logic is as logic does!

I LOVE this logic, BstYet2Be!!!

I am an owl, and I had to explain myself all my life why I am not getting up at 6 AM...
Fortunately most of my working life, I could arrange my work to start around 10 AM, and told people not to expect any bright answers before noon. BUT... when they were all in bed and snoring, I was working and very productive.
Most of my bosses did understand that, the others were just plain jerks, but they did accommodate my needs.
My last boss was getting up at 2-3 AM and going shopping to... Walmart. He said he loves the very quiet morning hours, then sit down with a cup of coffee, and watch the sun rise, after most of his daily work was already done...
My present boss does not care when I work, as long as my work is done.

... And I live by myself, so no one is nagging at home.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:45 AM

210,211 posts, read 80,932,040 times
I'm a retired owl. If the fish are biting, I'm sleeping in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics