U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 PM

16,482 posts, read 22,364,371 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
Which holidays have you ever observed:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Enquiring Minds Question:
Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means: To me it means that it is something that most people wouldn't like, but if you were raised eating it, or are really opened minded you can grow to like it.
It's gross, but you get used to it? It is gross no matter how many times you eat it.
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave? Maybe it is salty, or bitter, or slightly sweet, some taste in it that some people like.
Other? - (please explain)

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" I like liverwurst and I know some people don't like that.

Extra Restaurant Questions:
Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? No.

How do you think they stay in business? Maybe there aren't many restaurants in that town so it is that place or nowhere.

Bonus Food Prep Question:
Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. Well it wasn't food handling or storage, but I went to a Korean restaurant near the airport on Hawaii. I put my hand down on the bench seat and felt something and it was covered with ants. There were some crumbs of food on the seat and there were tons of ants everywhere.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Yes I do somewhat, but I will eat at a potluck. If something looks or smells funny I won't eat it, but I will eat things, especially salads and desserts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 AM

33,352 posts, read 18,427,973 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving <--This
Hanukkah
Christmas <--This
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day <--This
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others? Memorial Day, President's Day, Labor Day, Independence Day (July 4th) and Easter.

Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means:
It's gross, but you get used to it?
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave? <--This

Do you have any "acquired tastes?"
I used to dislike certain green vegetables like broccoli and spinach but I enjoy eating them now.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
Not personally but I'm sure they're out there.

How do you think they stay in business?
They probably have a big advertising budget and mail out lots of coupons to get the crowds through the door.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.
A few friends of mine from high school used to work the local fast food restaurants and had some stories to tell, which I won't repeat here.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
Not really. If it looks and smells good, I'll eat it!

Have an enjoyable Thursday, whatever you have planned.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 AM

18,415 posts, read 6,334,260 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving <-----
Hanukkah
Christmas <-----
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day <-----
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave?
It doesn't seem that appealing when you first try it, and most people wouldn't even bother, but you get used to it and find you like it more and more as time goes by.
Not really, although I like some foods that others don't such as liver, tofu, soy milk and prunes.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
Most of the big chain restaurants don't live up to their advertising. I would say the same about most of the restaurants around Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square and Pier 39 in San Francisco that cater to tourists. Locals avoid those places as they are overpriced for what you get. Some of them have terrific views, though.

Massive TV advertising campaigns
Being located in or near middle-class suburbs
Offering menu items that are familiar and unchallenging to the American palate

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.
Fortunately I can't remember having any experiences like that, but I do remember seeing a cockroach climb up the wall at a restaurant in Chinatown when I was 18. I thought it was pretty funny at the time.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
No, I'm not too fussy, especially if the dishes were made by family or friends.

Thanks, bjh!

Old 11-21-2013, 01:15 AM

41,372 posts, read 52,655,939 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving XX
Hanukkah
Christmas XX
Boxing Day
Festivus XXXXXXXX
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others? 4th of July, Veterans Day.

So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means: Something that was originally not appealing but as time goes on you get used to it. Probably because it was cheap to buy and your parents made you eat it.

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" Beer, coffee, spinach, liver, brocolli, road kill.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? Too many to list.

How do you think they stay in business? Fooling different people all the time with their promoting of the business. Good facade.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. Oh gosh, in our many travels one is bound to run into horrible places by chance of not knowing the reputation of the business. Especially in out of the place unknown towns .

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Sometimes. Depends on the reputation of the person making it.

Happy Thursday, enjoy the moment...

Old 11-21-2013, 03:19 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,330,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

I observe all of them. However, I only participate in a few.

It evokes pleasant memories.

Yes

Yes

They don't rely on my opinion.

It was 6:28 PM and the sun was setting on a hot, humid summer day. Cicadas were singing their farewell songs and the smell of pine hung heavily in the air.

Always
Poiple

Old 11-21-2013, 05:36 AM

35,950 posts, read 35,960,974 times

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Christmas, Hanukkah, Thanksgiving, Easter, Memorial Day, Passover, Halloween, Veterans Day, New Year's

(jewish friends, Brownie/Girl Scout town parades, chorus presentations in addition to personal celebrations)

It means you can't bear to be seen not eating something all of the chi-chi people eat so you put on airs, eat it and claim "it's an acquired taste" meaning it's gag worthy-but you don't want to be thought of as un-cool or un-rich so you pretend to like it and hope others are impressed by your sophisticated palate.

Probably but I don't eat there more than once.

Tourists.

No. People usually make their best thing for potlucks. I appreciate them.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 AM

122,159 posts, read 15,611,540 times
Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.
But first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?Guru Nanak's birthday,Diwali,Vaisakhi,3 Kings on 6. January,Easter

Other? - (please explain)all of the above,it depends you may get introduced to a food among friends,maybe you heard about it and want to experiment or you are just crazy and go for the unknown or curiosity gets the better of you..drinking Martini is an acquired taste so Escargot

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" Martini,Lobster,Limburger stinky cheese ,Nori and Japanese rice snacks

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? yes there are some

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.At my cousin in law,they don't bother washing vegetable or meat and one time I had sand in my mouth, because she did not rinse proper the spinach ,another time it was in a restaurant something was crawling on my lettuce

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?It depends who made it..with us it is only friends and family...

Thank you bjh for the great questions and a splendid day to all

Old 11-21-2013, 06:38 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,701,272 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving xxxx
Hanukkah xxxx - I was once married to a Jewish Man...I did not convert but he demanded we adhere to and celebrate this... unfortunately we didn't work out these kind of things before getting married..I'm no longer married to him.
Christmas xxxx
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day xxxx
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others? rest of the typical holidays.

So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means: For instance, tasting liver, hating it and eating it again several times...you might get an acquired taste
It's gross, but you get used to it? liver was this way with me....I now love it

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" liver and beer

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? some in my area

How do you think they stay in business? older crowd goes there with false teeth, and tongues on which the taste buds are worn out and the real taste doesn't come through-----plus this crowd only gets the 4 pm early bird specials which is pot roast cooked with potatoes and carrots and only a bit of salt.

The café I worked in as a teenager

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? If it's something which needs refrigeration and the person bringing it didn't bring any kind of cooling thing (like ice in a bowl, frozen ice, etc.

Today in History:
1783 In Paris, de Rozier and the Marquis d'Arlandes, made the 1st untethered hot air balloon flight
1789 North Carolina admitted as the 12th U.S. state
1837 Thomas Morris of Australia skipped rope 22,806 times
1877 Edison announced the invention of the phonograph, called a "talking machine"
1942 Completion of the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway)
1944 "The Roy Rogers Show" first heard on the Mutual Broadcasting System. ---“Happy trails to you, until we meet again....” I love this song!!!
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show.

Today's Retiree Quote:
"When I get up in the morning I've got nothing to do and by bedtime I'm only halfway done."
~Anonymous clap clap

Today Is:
Adoption Day clap clap
Bundt Day I love to make bundt cakes
Gingerbread Day yummy
Great American Smokeout, best wishes to all those who want to kick the habit hope all that want to stop smoking, does it with little problems.
Kiwifruit Day clap clap
World Hello Day Hello!
World Television Day clap clap

Thanks bjh....to all, have a happy Thursday.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 AM

12,172 posts, read 16,186,530 times
[quote=bjh;32316258]Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.
But first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" I'd have to say enjoying yogurt was an acquired taste.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? No.

Happy Thursday!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:29 AM

6,193 posts, read 4,442,433 times
Happy Thursday! The weekend is almost here!

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" Some people don't like spinach, I do.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? yes

How do you think they stay in business? They usually go out of business in time.

A local place years ago: I ordered a hamburger and it came with the top bun on the side, when I lifted the bun up there was a large black bug under it and it ran off my plate and jumped off the table. I refused to eat or pay for my meal and never went back. That place is now closed.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? We potluck all summer and fall and I have no reservations about eating the food everyone brings over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics