U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:56 AM

11,234 posts, read 7,323,381 times

Advertisements

holidays? thanksgiving, christmas, new year's day

acquired taste? you get used to it
poi

cat in a breadbox
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 AM

13,650 posts, read 18,202,869 times
Today's Questions:
Which holidays have you ever observed:
Thanksgiving Yes
Hanukkah
Yes
Christmas
Yes
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
Yes
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?
A couple of Veterans Days I have eaten the free lunch at the Golden Corral. Also Easter.

Enquiring Minds Question:
Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means:
It's gross, but you get used to it? Calf liver. Gross to think about but mm mm good!
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave?
Other? - (please explain)

Do you have any "acquired tastes?"
Probably liver. No one else in my family likes it.
Lighter blush wines (some).

Extra Restaurant Questions:
Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? So many while I was still working and traveling but as far as I can remember, probably a few in the French Quarters in NOLA although I tended to gravitate toward those that had great food but little atmosphere.

The same applies to New Mexico and west Texas. The best Mexican foods have always been in a small obscure cafe.

How do you think they stay in business? Tourists

Bonus Food Prep Question:
Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. The only one that comes to mind, and it's not a case of food handling or storage (at least I hope not!) was The Court of Two Sisters in the French Quarters of NOLA. My brother was visiting one summer and, while we were downtown one day, we decided to try the well known restaurant. While we were eating in the outside courtyard, a huge wharf rat ran out on a limb that hung low over our table. He/she just stood there staring down at us with its beady little eyes. When we told the waiter, he seemed non perplexed and even had a name for the critter.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Not really but we'll probably forgo a formal Thanksgiving this year as my wife is going to be out of state and having to work and we have no family close by. We will be thankful for the day though.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 AM

33,063 posts, read 13,868,529 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
It's gross, but you get used to it?

I don't want to acquire a taste, I either like it or I don't

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
Most

How do you think they stay in business?

People around here spends lots of money eating out.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.
I don't know how they handle food or storage, if I did, I'd probably never eat there again.
Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
Mostly no.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:24 AM

3,948 posts, read 2,502,993 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving <-----
Hanukkah
Christmas <------
Boxing Day <------
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day <------
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience. So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means:

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" Marmite

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? Vic's.

How do you think they stay in business? I don't think they will.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. Thank goodness, I haven't had this experience.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Never. If someone cooks for me, I'll eat whatever they choose to serve.

Thanks bjh and happy Thursday all.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM

20,744 posts, read 21,576,986 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?
Easter
Independence Day
Veterans Day

Yep, calamari, hot and spicy foods and sauces.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
Yes we do.

They didn't last long.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
Not really, but I can be picky at times.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,730,394 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

It's gross, but you get used to it? <<<<this one

I used to hate tomatoes growing up but now I love them and I'm sure there are other things just can't think of them right now

Yeah there's a couple of those around here

Must be the "acquired taste" thing at work

Handling raw chicken is kinda gross, and a lot of people don't clean up properly after having it all over their countertops. What about salmonella poisoning?

Oh yes for sure

Today in History:
1783 In Paris, de Rozier and the Marquis d'Arlandes, made the 1st untethered hot air balloon flight
1789 North Carolina admitted as the 12th U.S. state
1837 Thomas Morris of Australia skipped rope 22,806 times
1877 Edison announced the invention of the phonograph, called a "talking machine"
1942 Completion of the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway)
1944 "The Roy Rogers Show" first heard on the Mutual Broadcasting System. ---“Happy trails to you, until we meet again....”
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show.

Today's Retiree Quote:
"When I get up in the morning I've got nothing to do and by bedtime I'm only halfway done."
~Anonymous

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun
in prescriptions: honey

Today Is:
Adoption Day
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Great American Smokeout, best wishes to all those who want to kick the habit
wish me luck!!
Kiwifruit Day eh
World Hello Day Hello!!
World Television Day

Today's Moving Picture:
Okay, time for a nap in the bread box.
Haha that's really cute

See ya later, humans.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

17,555 posts, read 9,436,912 times
[quote=bjh;32316258]Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.
But first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day<----------------------This is the only winter Holiday I don't work.
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

It's gross, but you get used to it?<================

Nope. I can't stand the taste of beer and I've tried several different ones. They all taste the same to me. YUK.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? .......Not in our town. We had one that looked basic with bad food and it's gone now.

How do you think they stay in business?......

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage..........John told me about one restaurant we used to eat at when he was on a burglar alarm call. He said the floor was moving. It turned out to be hundreds of roaches. There were chickens hanging from the ceiling. We never ate there again.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?.........Not really. I'm in healthcare. We do gross things all day long. Eating some food seems sedate after you finish a procedure.

Today in History:
1783 In Paris, de Rozier and the Marquis d'Arlandes, made the 1st untethered hot air balloon flight
1789 North Carolina admitted as the 12th U.S. state
1837 Thomas Morris of Australia skipped rope 22,806 times
1877 Edison announced the invention of the phonograph, called a "talking machine"
1942 Completion of the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway)
1944 "The Roy Rogers Show" first heard on the Mutual Broadcasting System. ---“Happy trails to you, until we meet again....”
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show.

Today's Retiree Quote:
"When I get up in the morning I've got nothing to do and by bedtime I'm only halfway done."
~Anonymous

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun
in prescriptions: honey

Today Is:
Adoption Day<-----------We were buy the animal shelter in Chicago last night and John wouldn't let me go in.
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Great American Smokeout, best wishes to all those who want to kick the habit
Kiwifruit Day
World Hello Day
World Television Day

Today's Moving Picture:
Okay, time for a nap in the bread box.

See ya later, humans. Thanks bjh. We ice skated at Millennium Park yesterday for about two hours and walked about a mile to our favorite restaurant. It was so much fun!!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:07 AM

52,891 posts, read 31,226,774 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving - <--------<<
Hanukkah
Christmas - <--------<<
Boxing Day - Hmm.. I think that coincides with moving day... and you put your belongings in Boxes..
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day - Well.. New Year's Eve, then New Year's Day should be called Hang-Over Recovery Day.. - I don't drink... I'm just being silly..
12th Night
Winter Solstice - Coming up in a Month (Night of December 21st).
Wait a minute.. BJH, you should also include the Summer Solstice.. which will also be celebrated on December 21st by our friends in the southern hemisphere, like Kobber..

Others?
- Easter
- Valentine's Day.. (Sometimes.. )
- Wedding Anniversary.. To Be Determined.. whenever that may be..

So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means: - Hmm.. Sort of like Required Taste.. You're required to taste it(???)
Other? - (please explain) - I have no idea.. - That's my explanation..

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" - I don't know of any..

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? - Hmm.. I think it's called Burger King.. - Actually, yes I know a couple of such places... and they're not fast food places.

How do you think they stay in business? - One of them has already closed 3 of their restaurants.. and no it's not Hooters..

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. - Probably my refrigerator... - I'm only kidding.. I can't think of any..

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? - Potlucks? Yeah.. I always make reservations at places I eat.. Oh.. wait.... I think that's the stuff people smoke.. not eat.. - Actually, I'm not sure how to answer this, but it depends on how well I know the person who cooks the food..

Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,317,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
here are some qs that don't quite fit the foodie questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.
but first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

today's questions:
which holidays have you ever observed:
thanksgiving
hanukkah
christmas
boxing day
festivus :d
kwanza
new year's eve/day
12th night
winter solstice
others?
easter
good friday
remembrance day

enquiring minds question:
maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
So what do you think "it's an acquired taste." means: :d
it's gross, but you get used to it?
these questions are to hard for my little brain to answer today...i think it's still sleeping...
do you have any "acquired tastes?"

probably, but can i think of any....probably not!

extra restaurant questions:
do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
nope

tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
yes

today in history:
1783 in paris, de rozier and the marquis d'arlandes, made the 1st untethered hot air balloon flight
1789 north carolina admitted as the 12th u.s. State
1837 thomas morris of australia skipped rope 22,806 times
1877 edison announced the invention of the phonograph, called a "talking machine"
1942 completion of the alaska highway (also known as the alcan highway)
1944 "the roy rogers show" first heard on the mutual broadcasting system. ---“happy trails to you, until we meet again....”
1980 an estimated 82 million people watched as sue ellen’s sister, kristin shepard, shot j.r. Ewing on the tv show "dallas". During the summer between tv seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “who shot j.r.?” eighty percent of all viewers watched the show.

today's retiree quote:
"when i get up in the morning i've got nothing to do and by bedtime i'm only halfway done."
~anonymous

today’s word:
mel [mel] noun
in prescriptions: Honey

today is:
adoption day
bundt day
gingerbread day
great american smokeout, best wishes to all those who want to kick the habit
Kiwifruit day <----delicious
world hello day
world television day <-----tv is boring

today's moving picture:
okay, time for a nap in the bread box.

hee hee...cute pic bjh!

See ya later, humans. :d

happy thursday everyone!!!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 AM

3,896 posts, read 1,888,391 times
quote=bjh;32316258]Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.
But first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving this one
Hanukkah
Christmas this one
Boxing Day ?? Is that when you box up all the stuff after Christmas?
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day kind of
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others? just the usual

It's gross, but you get used to it? probably

I like olives and some people really don't. Maybe that's too common to be an acquired taste.

Some chain restaurants are not so good imo, but some people rave about them.

Volume, volume, volume. LOL!

Funny you should ask this. Last night I opened a can of beans to serve with dinner. So there we were eating and hubby says, what's this dark spot in the white beans. I joked probably an extra bit of protein. He put it on a napkin and dried it off a bit. Then you could see its little legs and antennaes, yep it was a freaking B-U-G! Gross. I got rid of the beans and stopped eating mine. I don't like to waste food, but who knows what that little bug brought into that can of beans! It's probably a miracle it doesn't happen more often, but still! Ugh!!

I do soemtimes wonder because you never know what their kitchen at home is like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics