U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,885,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Enquiring Minds Question:
Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means:

It means you can't bear to be seen not eating something all of the chi-chi people eat so you put on airs, eat it and claim "it's an acquired taste" meaning it's gag worthy-but you don't want to be thought of as un-cool or un-rich so you pretend to like it and hope others are impressed by your sophisticated palate.

Ohmigosh! You hit the nail on the head! "chi-chi" lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:28 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,154,593 times
Today's Questions:
Which holidays have you ever observed:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
..."A Festivus for the rest of us!"....lol. Frank Costanza would be proud, but I have not celebrated Festivus yet...lol.
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
It's gross, but you get used to it?
<<<This
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave?
Other? - (please explain)

Do you have any "acquired tastes?"
No, I try to totally avoid foods that taste bad...lol. I would eat them if I was hungry enough though...lol.

Extra Restaurant Questions:
Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
Yes

How do you think they stay in business? Some people go for the atmosphere and not the food.

Bonus Food Prep Question:
Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.
On a road trip one time I stopped in a restaurant in a small town. The silverware wasn't completely clean so I asked for new silverware. Then they brought me a glass of tea and the glass didn't look entirely clean so I left without placing an order. I ate at the next McDonald's instead...lol.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?

Sometimes, it depends on who has prepared it. If it's someone I know well I usually don't have any reservations.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

39,342 posts, read 25,834,419 times
Today's Questions:
Which holidays have you ever observed:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day <--Thought Kobber might chime in, but she didn't make it to today's Qs.
Festivus (Just kidding on this one. )
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?
Easter, 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc.

It's gross, but you get used to it?
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave?
Other? - (please explain)
Dunno, that's why I asked. I enjoyed and learned from the answers.

Do you have any "acquired tastes?"
Not any of the classics like raw oysters or cigars. Just HP brown sauce.

Extra Restaurant Questions:
Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?
I do and find it weird. There are places I really wish were good, but they just aren't. Feels and looks like a great place to eat, but disappointing food.

How do you think they stay in business?
Lots of good answers were posted. In a very touristy city the answers about tourists make a lot of sense. My guess has long been that they are watering holes and make their moola off of alcoholic drinks. Maybe after a drink or two the food tastes better.

Bonus Food Prep Question:
Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.
Reading websites about this kind of thing will make you want to eat every bite at home.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
Let's just say I'm happy to see store or deli bought foods.

Weekend's almost here. Wishing you all a good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics