U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

38,953 posts, read 25,710,860 times

Advertisements

Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.
But first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

Today's Questions:
Which holidays have you ever observed:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Enquiring Minds Question:
Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.
So what do you think "It's an acquired taste." means:
It's gross, but you get used to it?
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave?
Other? - (please explain)

Do you have any "acquired tastes?"

Extra Restaurant Questions:
Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?

How do you think they stay in business?

Bonus Food Prep Question:
Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?

Today in History:
1783 In Paris, de Rozier and the Marquis d'Arlandes, made the 1st untethered hot air balloon flight
1789 North Carolina admitted as the 12th U.S. state
1837 Thomas Morris of Australia skipped rope 22,806 times
1877 Edison announced the invention of the phonograph, called a "talking machine"
1942 Completion of the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway)
1944 "The Roy Rogers Show" first heard on the Mutual Broadcasting System. ---“Happy trails to you, until we meet again....”
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show.

Today's Retiree Quote:
"When I get up in the morning I've got nothing to do and by bedtime I'm only halfway done."
~Anonymous

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun
in prescriptions: honey

Today Is:
Adoption Day
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Great American Smokeout, best wishes to all those who want to kick the habit
Kiwifruit Day
World Hello Day
World Television Day

Today's Moving Picture:
Okay, time for a nap in the bread box.

See ya later, humans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM

114,775 posts, read 57,884,158 times
Question Today's Questions ~ Thursday 21 November 2013
Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Maybe you've wondered why people eat foods or drinks that don't taste good from the start. Or maybe you know from experience.

Beer! Though it didn't take long to acquire it.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food?

Some folks are willing to pay for atmosphere regardless of food quality.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
Sometimes..

Today in History:
1783 In Paris, de Rozier and the Marquis d'Arlandes, made the 1st untethered hot air balloon flight
1877 Edison announced the invention of the phonograph, called a "talking machine"
1944 "The Roy Rogers Show" first heard on the Mutual Broadcasting System. ---“Happy trails to you, until we meet again....”
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show.

Today's Retiree Quote:
"When I get up in the morning I've got nothing to do and by bedtime I'm only halfway done."
~Anonymous
Been there... hell I am there!

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun

Today Is:
Adoption Day
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Kiwifruit Day
World Hello Day
World Television Day

Today's Moving Picture:

See ya later, humans.
Thanks BJH! Later!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-20-2013 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 PM

210,211 posts, read 80,829,334 times

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others? Easter, Memorial, Veterans,

Collard Greens
Mustard Greens
Turnip Greens
Hot Peppers

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? Yes

How do you think they stay in business? I don't know. Customer should get there steak cooked to their specs not the chef's.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. Walked out of a place long ago because their was not a no smoking section. Another because I saw a guy in the restroom not wash and then go out and start wrapping silverware.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Yes.

Today in History:

Today's Retiree Quote:
~Anonymous

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun

Today Is:
Adoption Day
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Kiwifruit Day
World Hello Day (A computer programmer's first assignment to write into code)
World Television Day

Last edited by Nomadicus; 11-20-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM

9,901 posts, read 7,247,716 times
Hello all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?
As an adult I got together with friends and family for Thanksgiving. However, that does not always happen.

New Years Eve a few times but I'm usually in bed by midnight.

When I was a kid Christmas was a big deal but I no longer celebrate it.

Quote:

There was a time I did not like green peppers. I like them now.
Can't think of anything else.

Quote:
No, but I really do not go to restaurants all that much. I prefer to eat at home and cook my own food.

Quote:
As a kid when I used to work at McDonald's.

Quote:
I hate potlucks, no make that I loathe them. I spend the most money and buy healthy salads that hardly no one will eat. But at least I get to eat. It's very rare when faced with this situation that I have other people's food because it's almost always way too unhealthy for my taste.

Have a great Thursday, all!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM

51,697 posts, read 13,923,219 times
[quote=bjh;32316258]Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement.

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others? Easter,Father's Day Mother's, Day Independence Day..

It's gross, but you get used to it? Hmmm....
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave? Cheesecake lol!

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" Cheesecake!

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? Not really because I don't go out to eat much.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. When I worked at a meat market. Some of the meat was turning bad in color and they put a chemical in it to make the meat look better. I didn't work there too long because I didn't think it was right.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Sometimes.

Today in History:
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show. I was one of them.

Today's Retiree Quote:
~Anonymous

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun

Today Is:
Adoption Day
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Kiwifruit Day - Yum!
World Hello Day
World Television Day

Today's Moving Picture:

See ya later, humans.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:31 PM

39,016 posts, read 21,161,220 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

I like caviar

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? Yes ... Like Elephant Bar for one

How do you think they stay in business? Americans have faulty tastebuds?

Once, I ordered a Wendy's baked potato through drive thru and person who gave us the potato had his finger in the potato I was grossed out.

Another time was ordering this meal from a very casual dining Mexican/American diner and after ordering my food, I went potty. The condition of the restroom was so appalling that I could not use the restroom as it reeked of crap (like someone was sick) ... I felt so unclean that I just took my food (it was already paid for ) and tossed it ...

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Only with how long it's been out ...

Old 11-20-2013, 10:56 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,750,893 times
Quote:

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" It's rare that I develop a taste later for foods. But I was in my teens when I learned to like eggs, and certain sweet 'n' sour dishes took me some time, too.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? Oh, yes!

How do you think they stay in business? Well, one of them is unique, and I think it continues to draw the curious. It's a Brazilian grill restaurant and practically everything they serve are meats. They were "pretty good" but not that good. Service was different. It's an experience. Glad we went but wouldn't go there again.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. At a local Subway I happened to notice that the boy fixing our sandwiches had filthy fingernails. Yes, we took them home, anyway, and no, we didn't get sick. But I wish I had called management later to complained.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? Never. Having one at work tomorrow, in fact (and I'm taking baked beans).

See ya later, humans.
Have a great Thursday!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:59 PM

45,100 posts, read 64,505,692 times

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?
Easter?????
Independence Day
4th July
All Saints
3rd of May (Polish)
Cinco de Mayo (Mexican)
Valentine's Day
Labour Day
Mother's Day
My own birthday
My son's birthday
St. Patrick's Day
My vacation days

Sometimes the first bite doesn't taste great, but the second does, and you get to like this new taste?
Maybe you were invited, and want to be polite?
Maybe you cook it, and eat as punishment?

If the food is really gross - lack of spices, burn or raw, spoiled or growing some slimy green stuff, well... I do not eat that.
However I learned a long time ago to not get influenced by name, or look, or even smell. Some of the great tasting foods I ate, had crazy names, weird shape on the plate and questionable smell - but they were delicious!!

Oh yeah!!! But don't ask me to list it

Many of them!

1. People come, and try it once.
2. People come again in hope that something might changed positively.
3. People read reviews of those places, and believe that they will be pleased too.
4. Many people drool at the ugliest tasting food. They just never acquired a fine palate or understand the art of cooking.
5. People don't care about quality as long they have a big quantity for their buck.
6. I know lots of people that would rave about food I don't find appealing.
7. People who never got to eat anything better and don't know the difference.

Some time ago, when I was working as an interpreter for deaf people, I had to interpret worker dispute at a popular chain, fish restaurant in San Antonio.
It was late in the evening (but the restaurant was still open), when I entered the kitchen, where the deaf guy worked, and was deeply shocked at what I saw there.
Big pots with food standing on the dirty floor. Someone in a rubber shoes cleaning spills on the floor with a hose, despite the pots standing everywhere. On one occasion he stepped INSIDE the pot full with food, because there was no space to move, stepped out and put the pot back on the stove. No one even blinked. It seem that this was a daily occurrence in that place.
I called Health Inspector the very next morning, and never went to eat there again...
This horrible picture was haunting me for a long time, and I was imagining how other places look like..

This also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made?
Normally not.
But I never eat food made by one co-worker, because I used to frequent her house, and saw on many occasions that she was bathing/cleaning up her dog in the kitchen sink.

Today in History:
1980 An estimated 82 million people watched as Sue Ellen’s sister, Kristin Shepard, shot J.R. Ewing on the TV show "Dallas". During the summer between TV seasons tee shirts were made with the motto: “Who Shot J.R.?” Eighty percent of all viewers watched the show. (Yep, I saw this episode overseas. The TV show was very popular there)

Today's Retiree Quote:
~Anonymous

That reminds me on this:

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun

Today Is:
Adoption Day
Bundt Day
Gingerbread Day
Kiwifruit Day
World Hello Day
World Television Day :hand:

Today's Moving Picture:
Soooo... cute!!!, but please don't bring that bread to the potluck

See ya later, humans.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-21-2013 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 PM

6,665 posts, read 6,806,202 times
Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving
Hanukkah
Christmas
Boxing Day
Festivus
Kwanza
New Year's Eve/Day
12th Night
Winter Solstice
Others?
4th Of July
Memorial Day
Labor Day
Alaska Day
St Patrick"s Day Do not really observe this day but almost always will eat cornd beef & cabbage and drink green beer

Something one just never gave a chance. Just assumed it would be bad. Even though I have been eating cheese as long as I could remember, it was not til I was 16 before I would eat a cheeseburger.

Can not count stinky cheese and beer as I have been consuming them for as long as I can remember. I was either 2 or 3 when my dad bought me my first beer mug.

I have been to one or two. Usually it is the service and not the food that is lousy.

Properly planned insurance fires

I was eating at a fast food place in a mall when I saw the employee that was emptying garbage cans go over to the serving line without washing his hands. I did not bother asking for the store manager. I called the health department and reported it

I love potlucks. Growing up in Western Alaska our housing was usually a small compound of 10 to 20 homes and apartments at the airport. Usually a couple times a year everyone would turn out and have a potluck.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:16 PM

41,909 posts, read 16,628,137 times
Here are some Qs that don't quite fit the Foodie Questions category, so am spilling them today for our general amusement. But first, the holiday season is just around the corner so . . .

Today's Questions:
Thanksgiving Yep.
Hanukkah Yep.
Christmas Yep.
Boxing Day One time; yep. Way fun!
Festivus *lol*
Kwanza Nope.
New Year's Eve/Day Yep.
12th Night If that is what you call Epiphany, yep.
Winter Solstice No special celebration, but I do love winter.
Others? Easter. Independence Day. Labor Day. Memorial Day. My birthday.

It's gross, but you get used to it? Not necessarily gross, but maybe something bitter which you come to like after a while.
It's got some addictive property you'll start to crave? I wouldn't know about this. I don't think I've ever been addicted to anything. I adore chocolate and make jokes about needing it, but no, I'm not addicted to it. (Haha - sounds like I'm in denial, doesn't it? )

Do you have any "acquired tastes?" Yes; dry red wine. When I was much younger I didn't like dry wine at all. Now I very much prefer it over sweeter wines. My tastes changed over the years.

Do know of any restaurants that have great atmosphere and look really good, but have so-so or lousy food? None I can think of, but I'm sure there are some out there.

How do you think they stay in business? Relatives? Seriously, a business like that wouldn't last long around here.

Please describe any time or place you have been grossed out by unclean food handling or storage. I've seen a couple of greasy-spoon diners that were pretty dirty; none recently.

Tis also the season for potlucks. Do you ever have reservations about eating things others have made? None at all. I've found most potluck food to be delicious.

Today’s Word:
mel [mel] noun
I didn't know that!

Today Is:
Adoption Day Adopt a child or adopt a pet!
Bundt Day Yum!
Gingerbread Day Yum!
Great American Smokeout, best wishes to all those who want to kick the habit Good luck to those who are trying. You can do it!
Kiwifruit Day Yum!
World Hello Day Hello!
World Television Day I have mine on right now.

Love the kitty video, bjh! Happy Thursday, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-20-2013 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics